Question: upgrading cartridges

Hey guys -

Question - for those experienced. How different are cartridges from each other - from your upgrade experience?

Is it similar to a component upgrade? Or are we just splitting hairs?

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Cartridges can make a huge difference. Definitely a component level upgrade.

Especially when you consider how cartridges work with other items in the signal chain. There is a very good reason why good, high end phono pre-amps have so many settings adjustments.

I am not a hardcore vinyl-phile but even within the MC cartridge world, there are definitive gains to be had as you move up the food chain. There are exceptions...budget cartridges that punch well above their price-class. But those are the exceptions and not the rule. And that disparity is considerably more evident in the MM world.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Yeah
    I’m going to have to test this out and compare.
    I will also bring in a Project RPM 10 and compare to the Avenger Reference.
    So much on my todo list
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2020
    Different cartridge manufacturers have different - sometimes very different - perspectives on tone. Choice of cartridge, as already stated, will make an enormous difference in the overall presentation of reproduced music from a record.

Matching of arm to the cartridge requirements is also very important, as is alignment in all three dimensions. Ideally the stylus should manifest perfect tangency (or is that tangence?) to the groove at all points across the record, and be able to respond to all of the peaks and valleys (in three dimensions) cut into the groove, irrespective of groove "velocity" (which takes into account signal amplitude and frequency, as best I understand it).

Because records are cut with a tangential arm, and most tonearms are pivoted, there is always, always, always tracking error. There are multiple schemes to "optimize" the stylus aligment to give the best possible overall performance -- given that the stylus will be perfectly aligned at only one, or two (depending upon alignment) points on the record.

PS Ortofon SPUs are bitchen.
    (but they're not for everyone, nor for every arm)

B)

PPS
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Cartridges can make a huge difference. Definitely a component level upgrade.

Especially when you consider how cartridges work with other items in the signal chain. There is a very good reason why good, high end phono pre-amps have so many settings adjustments...

Oh, yeah, there is that, too! :)
    load resistance and capacitance matter quite a bit for MM and MI cartridges.
    MC cartridges are slightly "better" in that regard (as load capacitance is essentially a non-issue for MCs).

PPPS We probably shouldn't even tell him about strain gauge and piezo cartridges, should we? ;)

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

PPPS We probably shouldn't even tell him about strain gauge and piezo cartridges, should we? ;)

Now yer just being mean. >:):D

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    So is a linear tracking arm theoretically the better move, doc @mhardy6647 ?

I wanted to try out a koetsu or an airtight cart as a secondary to my Lyra.

This can get expensive real quick... and outta control
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    I was looking at maybe this one as an end table some day - Clearaudio Master Innovation with TT1 or TT2. Linear tracking and magnetic platters. Plus the black is awesome.

Someday... but I’m really enjoying this Avenger Ref!

So no rush at all. Maybe in 5 or 10 years - hahaha

Clearaudio Master Innovation at Paragon
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Joey_V wrote: »
    This can get expensive real quick... and outta control
    Not sure what you mean... ;)
    lgxjb37wdes5.jpg
    8x6z5apy9a1d.jpg
    Those are obviously ones not currently installed on turntables...of which I have more than a few :# Of course, I don't think the value of all mine in total add up to the cost of your one Lyra Etna. Cartridges are relatively easy to store - don't take up much space - so easy to get carried away without realizing it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    I was looking at maybe this one as an end table some day - Clearaudio Master Innovation with TT1 or TT2. Linear tracking and magnetic platters. Plus the black is awesome.

Someday... but I’m really enjoying this Avenger Ref!

So no rush at all. Maybe in 5 or 10 years months - hahaha

Fixed it for ya ;)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Now yer just being mean. >:):D
    Don't forget about step-up transformers.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    So is a linear tracking arm theoretically the better move, doc @mhardy6647 ?

Welcome to the rabbit hole. You've entered one of the most heated topics in high end turntables. Many people have designs they swear by, but good luck finding a universal answer.

Linear vs unipivot vs gimbal
    Detachable headshell vs integrated
    Direct Drive vs Belt Drive
    Baerwald vs Stevenson vs others (cartridge alignment)
    Suspended platform vs Ridged
    Cartridge tonearm matching
    The list goes on!

This is why vinyl is kind of it's own hobby inside the audio hobby. Have fun and figure out how to hide those receipts :D
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    What happened to the rack being your last purchase of the year 🤔
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    marvda1 wrote: »

He must of had an empty shelf on his new audio rack.
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    marvda1 wrote: »

Did I really say the rack was the last purchase?
    🤦🏻‍♂️
  • mhardy6647
    I'm not really sure that a linear (tangential) tracking arm is better than a swingin' arm -- it just manifests whole a different set of issues. My limited experience with linear-tracking arms is that IGD is essentially eliminated -- which I do like a lot. But it can be beaten back for a normal arm by proper alignment, too.

• jdjohn
    You'd be surprised what you can get (specs-wise) for your money with a vintage linear tracker in good working order.

I happen to have a Technics SL-Q5 linear tracker, and pertinent specs are:
    Rumble: -78dB
    W&F: 0.025%

VPI Avenger Reference comparable specs:
    Rumble: -82dB [clearly better]
    W&F: 0.03% [only a rounding diff.]

The Technics is limited to P-mount cartridges, but those can actually be VERY good, but it is still a limiting factor.

Having said that, gimme a TOLA Mitsubishi LT turntable that accepts standard 1/2" cartridge mounts, and I'd be happy. They sell at premium prices for a reason.
  • mhardy6647
    maybe something more along the lines of this...?

tw2haqxf0vbk.png

One of my hifi colleagues is currently fiddlin' with this one. Fiddly it is, but he's a mechanically competent kinda fellow, and he likes it quite a bit so far.

• jdjohn
    Very nice. Is that an air-bearing tonearm, by chance? I've heard that those are the schnizz-nit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @SCompRacer

Rich would be the guy to chime in on the air-bearing tone arm
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    I'm not really sure that a linear (tangential) tracking arm is better than a swingin' arm -- it just manifests whole a different set of issues. My limited experience with linear-tracking arms is that IGD is essentially eliminated -- which I do like a lot. But it can be beaten back for a normal arm by proper alignment, too.

I guess every design has compromises.

Might as well quit while I’m ahead
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    Ortofon 95 is well regarded

And the MC Anna
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • Instead of thinking of a cartridge as a component, I think of a cartridge as its own compact audio system with multiple components. They are complicated and involved.

Don't just stick with the new stuff. The vintage cartridges and styli have their own entrance into the rabbit hole. Then you have all of the peripheral accessories such as extra headshells, tracking scale, record cleaner, preamp, etc to consider.

There is no stopping point!

Find you a vinyl enthusiast friend (guide), someone like jdjohn, who has over the years accumulated many different brands and models of cartridges and can provide you the "ropes" as how they perform and sound.

My main guide is a friend in NYC who has the same audio equipment as I have. He points out these vintage Audio-Technica cartridges that have been proven over time. He is also a treasure trove of styli for the vintage cartridges. Jody (jdjohn) has helped me too.

Good luck!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

I guess every design has compromises.

Might as well quit while I’m ahead

yea man you had better pull the chute .....IT'S a DEEEEEEEEEP hole you just fell into.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    But it’s sooo much fun! Thanks for sharing your setup ^.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2020
    Joey... get a ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement and be done with it. Head and shoulders the best cartridge I have ever heard. It retains all the warmth of vinyl while also getting into 100db dynamic range, which is cd quality... You will never feel the need to look elsewhere for a cart.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa1d0i-clearaudio-goldfinger-statement-mc-cartridges

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649653064-clearaudio-goldfinger-statement-gfs-mc-cartridge-very-low-hours-excellent-condition/
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I use an air bearing arm on a DIY heavy plinth Lenco. It is said to be an inexpensive knockoff of a higher priced arm. A wealthy fellow in the Lenco forum compared it very favorably to the higher priced air arms he owned. VTA adjustment is a bit clunky compared to the higher priced offerings. Like a coarse thread versus very fine thread adjustment. I have had many nice pivoted arms with the best set up tools and, just my opinion, I would not go back to a pivoted arm.

My DIY Lenco idler build uses several layers of Baltic Birch. T-nuts were used for mounting components such as platter bearing and motor plate. Wood screws may eventually strip. T-nuts were mixed in alternating layers to help distribute any motor or idler vibrations into different layers. A larger, custom tight tolerance stainless platter bearing is used. Requires Turbine oil. An electronic speed control holds exacting speed. The torque available ensures no speed dropouts through difficult passages. The table is very quiet. It punches way beyond its price point.

When considering an air bearing arm, you have other things to think about. Where are you going to put the air compressor? The type of compressor is dictated by requirements of the arm. We are talking large fish tank size, not a 5 HP shop air compressor. You have to run an air line to the arm. I have a cat who would bite the hose. Maybe the pulsing, vibrations in the hose with the pump running excited him. I covered it with Techflex so it looks like a power cord.

Regarding compressor noise. Those without a basement put the compressor in a closet. I’ve seen some put them in an insulated cabinet in a closet. Mine is in the basement so I cannot hear it. I control the compressor with a remote-control AC relay. I simply push a button on a key fob and do not have to run downstairs or go into a closet to plug it in.

You need an expansion tank near the arm to smooth the pump pulses out. Some DIY and paint or fabric cover large PVC. Mine is a repurposed whole house water filter with just the outer layer of filter material. A small CFM or cubic feet per minute compressor will not push through a thick filter. Air noise from the arm is not an issue at the listening position. Some claim the air rushing across the record blows dust off the record keeping them cleaner.

I ran the air compressor tubing through the wall to an existing media plate (video, LAN and phone). A hole was drilled into media plate. A brass push-lock fitting was installed making it a very neat install with high WAF.

I use an SUT or step up transformer for LOMC cartridges. IMO you end with less amplification noise using an SUT (passive amplification) and good quality lower output phono stage than without an SUT and a good quality high output phono stage. The SUT must be properly matched to the cartridge.

52oen0rrisp9.jpg

g69zx7kwk94n.jpg

That's awesome man.
  • Joey_V
    Joey... get a ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement and be done with it. Head and shoulders the best cartridge I have ever heard. It retains all the warmth of vinyl while also getting into 100db dynamic range, which is cd quality... You will never feel the need to look elsewhere for a cart.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa1d0i-clearaudio-goldfinger-statement-mc-cartridges

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649653064-clearaudio-goldfinger-statement-gfs-mc-cartridge-very-low-hours-excellent-condition/

I looked at the CAGFS.... impressive unit. It appears to be in the top echelon of carts. Some have felt it was a lateral move from the Atlas, and back. The Etna should compete well.

GFS on a fatboy gimbal 12" arm on the second post.... wowzer, I am sure that'll be amazing. I hear it's a little finicky with set up especially given the extra long cantilever.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I hear it's a little finicky with set up especially given the extra long cantilever.
    Once it's set up you really don't need to mess with it until you're replacing or servicing it. And you can usually pay experienced dealers for set up services.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs