Question: upgrading cartridges

2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited October 2020
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I hear it's a little finicky with set up especially given the extra long cantilever.
    Once it's set up you really don't need to mess with it until you're replacing or servicing it. And you can usually pay experienced dealers for set up services.

That’s true too

More research needs to be done, a second cart seems to be in the cards but maybe work towards it. Would prefer a musical full bodied cart with great palpable imaging than ultra fidelity treble.

First things first... I need to secure the 2nd arm that is for sale local for a good price.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I hear it's a little finicky with set up especially given the extra long cantilever.
    Once it's set up you really don't need to mess with it until you're replacing or servicing it. And you can usually pay experienced dealers for set up services.

That’s true too

More research needs to be done, a second cart seems to be in the cards but maybe work towards it. Would prefer a musical full bodied cart with great palpable imaging than ultra fidelity treble.

First things first... I need to secure the 2nd arm that is for sale local for a good price.

Don't be afraid to slow down too. You have your whole life to look at gear. Get some more records and get intimately familiar with what you have now. As you get into this you might find yourself getting more focused on chasing down quality pressings vs quality carts. Don't forget that even if you're only buying the highest quality records like highly coveted vintage masterpieces or modern Mofi One-Step albums, you can still buy like 20-50 records for the same price as a second arm and cart. If you're getting more pedestrian albums, you can buy literally hundreds of albums with the price of gear you're looking at. Spend some time with what you have so you know what to chase later. What's the point in having an amazing front end of you don't don't get some vinyl on the table to enjoy it.

And I know you factor in resale value on stuff too. That's big with vinyl. I actually got a record in the mail on Tuesday that tripled in value before it even arrived. Don't forget that side of this hobby. It's just as enjoyable as the gear side.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    That there is an excellent suggestion. Listen to what you have and buy more music. The second arm and cartridge may or may not need to follow.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Very nice. Is that an air-bearing tonearm, by chance? I've heard that those are the schnizz-nit.

I am not sure -- I don't think so :p
    I do know it's an Eminent Technology arm ("ToneArm 2" it looks like it says).
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020

That’s true too

Don't be afraid to slow down too. You have your whole life to look at gear. Get some more records and get intimately familiar with what you have now. As you get into this you might find yourself getting more focused on chasing down quality pressings vs quality carts. Don't forget that even if you're only buying the highest quality records like highly coveted vintage masterpieces or modern Mofi One-Step albums, you can still buy like 20-50 records for the same price as a second arm and cart. If you're getting more pedestrian albums, you can buy literally hundreds of albums with the price of gear you're looking at. Spend some time with what you have so you know what to chase later. What's the point in having an amazing front end of you don't don't get some vinyl on the table to enjoy it.

And I know you factor in resale value on stuff too. That's big with vinyl. I actually got a record in the mail on Tuesday that tripled in value before it even arrived. Don't forget that side of this hobby. It's just as enjoyable as the gear side.

Yeah man

I have finally reached a point where I am fully enjoying the system even before analog, I just didn’t know a top shelf vinyl table would take me even further.

I look forward to using the system every night I can, I put about 10 hours in the system every week, fell asleep in my chair last night again. There are those who have top shelf systems, better (by the numbers) than mine, but they use it once a month. That’s not me. If I got time at home and every chore is done and my wife is asleep, I’m in the room.

I am to the point where I’m looking for an even better lounge chair.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Not falling asleep fast enough?
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Not falling asleep fast enough?

Lol

I have always wanted a really nice chair, but kinda let life take over and I forgot about it and neglected the listening chair.

My wife says whenever I’m ready I can buy the Eames as she knows I’ve looked at it for over a decade since I was in school.

But I think I’ll wait just a little bit more.

I am OCD, I would need the store allow me to test it for a night to make sure it doesn’t mess with my sound.

DWR Eames

Currently, I have a decent listening chair with an ottoman, the little arm rests can house my remotes. But there's something about a superb chair... it just adds to the experience.

Or maybe I'll just fall asleep on there sooner. hahaha
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    Speak of the devil, today I received swatches for the leather of the Eames chair. Would love to have the Eames, but I haven’t accomplished or done enough to deserve one yet. So maybe in a few years. #goals

Gotta keep chugging along.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    J.C.

J, do you ever slow down and enjoy what you have!? Who are you competing against?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    mrbiron wrote: »
    J.C.

J, do you ever slow down and enjoy what you have!? Who are you competing against?

Hahaha

I do I do, I use the system quite a lot. Not counting a system connected to a TV, who here puts in 1-2 hours a night sitting in the dark infront of a stereo?

It may seem like I am blowing through upgrades, but if you really look at it, the three upgrades I did all year was the pre, the rack, and the table w the etna.

Prior to the ref 40 pre, I think my last upgrade was the subs which I think was a year prior.

Besides, I’m only 38, but my best friend passed when he was 31. Tomorrow is never promised. Audio to me is simply a redistribution of funds. I am careful what I buy in case it needs to be liquidated. This way, I don’t feel like I’m wasting hard earned money.