Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Reminds me of a vintage Porsche:

1957_vintage_motorcars_of_california_356_speedster_replica_15862976091e1f8cbe183b9IMG_5172.jpg?fit=1941%2C1294

It should Porsche, VW and Audi are all part of the German "general motors corp"
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this is?

s1hdincfl8e2.jpg

Looks like a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia.
    ekb6a8vukcsw.png

The Volkswagen Karmann Ghia is a sports car marketed in 2+2 coupe (1955–1974) and 2+2 convertible (1957–1974) body styles by Volkswagen.
    Engine: 1200 cc, 1300 cc, 1500 cc, or 1600 cc Flat-4
    Body style: 2-door convertible; 2-door coupé
    Designer: Carrozzeria Ghia: Luigi Segre and Felice Mario Boano and others; 1972 update by Sergio Sartorelli

Otherwise known as the “poor mans Porsche”
  • joecoulson
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used a barber's chair for home theater seating? I always want to fall asleep when I get my hair cut. I don't know if it's the comfy chair or the girl's fingers running through my hair. There are three chairs for sale locally.

le7rirggpq5v.jpg

Think Captain Kirk on the Enterprise bridge.

I think the latter is what dreams are made of...
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2020
    I had a 74 Porsche 914. Also known as the poor man's Porsche. Thier prices have skyrocketed as of late.

One of the funnest and scariest cars I've owned.

Image from the net. Mine had these Rivera wheels but the car was silver.

rr7qtn50rm9c.jpg
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited September 2020
    You have the 4 cylinder or 6? I had a friend who had the 4 cylinder version.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The 914 and 914/6 were mid-engined and, at the time, really were the Poor Person's Porsche. :)

The Fiat X1/9 was also around in more or less the same time frame -- a little nicer looking, but -- yeah -- a Fiat. :p

17yqdriioc7y.png
  • I always called the 1976 Porsche 924 the poor man's Porsche because it offered an automatic transmission.
    giqoojapfypz.png

The 914 with the six cylinder oil-cooled engine had the getup and go of the 911, but was rough riding. Both four and six cylinder are still desired.

I purchased a new 1976 912E that I wish I still had. Only about 2100 made for one year, and are quite collectible. The color was Light Yellow, and it had the 2.0-liter four cylinder engine. Kept it about a year and sold it to a guy from California who saw it while being serviced in Atlanta. The 912E below is exactly like it. I sold it to enter the 911S Guards Red "rabbit hole".

i8jz0a6m5ij0.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • CH46E
    Milito wrote: »
    You have the 4 cylinder or 6? I had a friend who had the 4 cylinder version.

I wish it had been a 6cyl. Those can be very collectible and big money. For a real 914/6 that is.

Mine, IIRC came with a 1.8 liter 4 cyl with fuel injection. Someone converted it to a single carb before me. I converted it to twin webbers. Not a fast car in a straight line by any means.
  • CH46E
    @BlueBirdMusic didn't the 924 come with a 4cyl audi engine?
  • CH46E
    edited September 2020
    Every since test driving a 968 Turbo in 2008 ive wanted one. It was a blast to drive and a genuinely fast car. The way the rear end would squat when you nailed it was intoxicating.

I love the looks too.

y324xrfdc3ck.jpg
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    CH46E wrote: »
    I had a 74 Porsche 914. Also known as the poor man's Porsche. Thier prices have skyrocketed as of late.

One of the funnest and scariest cars I've owned.

Image from the net. Mine had these Rivera wheels but the car was silver.

rr7qtn50rm9c.jpg

Is that an El Dorado back there?
  • CH46E
    edited September 2020
    It might be. I'm not sure. I took that pic from the internet. Not my photo.
  • joecoulson
    Drive a 924 and it was sloooow
    But always wanted to drive a 911T. Just never got the chance.
    Now I would like to drive a GT3. Today.
  • I had one of these back in the day.
    cv8gr6cxlk9c.png

It was a really sweet car to drive but it was a tremendous piece of poo otherwise...

Constantly tinkering with ignition and balancing carbs....but that was all child's play until the wiring harness shorted and caught fire while driving it....it took 9 months to get the correct harness and I sold it right after that.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    I had one of these back in the day.
    cv8gr6cxlk9c.png

It was a really sweet car to drive but it was a tremendous piece of poo otherwise...

Constantly tinkering with ignition and balancing carbs....but that was all child's play until the wiring harness shorted and caught fire while driving it....it took 9 months to get the correct harness and I sold it right after that.

One of my grad school professors had a TR-6, in BRG. Gorgeous little cars and every bit as persnickety as their forebears, indeed.

Another grad school era buddy of mine (albeit in a different discipline and at a different university) bought a TR7 (hardtop) ca. 1977. It was an interesting vehicle. It was also orange.

• They also called the TR7 the Wedge... I never heard anything good about it.
    Had a friend who had a Triumph GT6+

2gdidmy5r2qa.png

He had similar issues with fuel delivery and wiring/electrical problems.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hey @ken brydson , has your air cleared up there at all yet? Portland is so bad that most places have closed down.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    Hey @ken brydson , has your air cleared up there at all yet? Portland is so bad that most places have closed down.

Little better today but still bad.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    This morning wasn't too. Bad but the wind must have shifted because it's really thick right now. We need rain bad!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    This morning wasn't too. Bad but the wind must have shifted because it's really thick right now. We need rain bad!

We had a little rain overnight, thought it would have cleared the air more than it did...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

11...my favorite number. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Oddly enough at about the same time VW discontinued the Karman Ghia they introduced the "Thing"

bw2nt16acozm.png

You know the THING

I JUST saw one the other day. It was a 2 door. It was red with white top. It was definitely restored. The driver was young and had a smile on his face for some reason. I liked the color scheme.

I hadn't seen a THING in many, many years! I think most rusted away a long time ago.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited September 2020
    Tony M wrote: »

11...my favorite number. :)
    Sr71 Blackbird, my favorite war plane.
    Two Pratt&Whitney J58’s hurtling that bad boy at Mach 3+, and nearly into outer space.
    Oh to ride in one of those.
    @mhardy6647 Great photo!
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    Oddly enough at about the same time VW discontinued the Karman Ghia they introduced the "Thing"

bw2nt16acozm.png

You know the THING

I JUST saw one the other day. It was a 2 door. It was red with white top. It was definitely restored. The driver was young and had a smile on his face for some reason. I liked the color scheme.

I hadn't seen a THING in many, many years! I think most rusted away a long time ago.

There's a fellow at audiokarma who has a restored Thing.
    Beastly cool.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    uz6fh6s5u6jy.png

I... I don't know what to say...

It makes me a little less apprehensive about trying a soldering iron.