Need saw / blade recommendation

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
I need to cut 6 laminated stock shelves...I imagine they are particle board under the laminate. The boards are 36" by 12", and I need to cut 3" off the length. What blade / saw do you all recommend as to keep a super-clean cut.

I own a miter saw, circular saw, and jig-saw....the miter saw will not make 1 clean cut due the blade is smaller than 12"....
???
Post edited by kevhed72 on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IME, I have never had a super clean cut on particle board as it's not made for that. Not quite sure what you are asking, really...

Circular saw I'm guessing would be my answer but a table saw would be more precise.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would expect the cleanest cut with a blade with a lot of teeth, and go slow.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Tape down your cut area with painters tape helps keep laminate intact on the bottom side of the cut, use a fine tooth blade
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Also tape the cuts that you will be making and it will help keep the laminate from chipping. I always do this when cutting veneered ply and does the trick to keep it from chipping:biggrin: oops I guess I was too late:redface:
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • kevhed72
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thanks folks...this is one of the last steps in a custom shelf unit for HT room.
    Here's the link to when the project started:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114645

The shelves are going in the cubby in the first pic:smile:
  • DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited May 2011
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I need to cut 6 laminated stock shelves...I imagine they are particle board under the laminate. The boards are 36" by 12", and I need to cut 3" off the length. What blade / saw do you all recommend as to keep a super-clean cut.

I own a miter saw, circular saw, and jig-saw....the miter saw will not make 1 clean cut due the blade is smaller than 12"....
    ???

A circular saw with a fine (many) tooth blade. You'll need to clamp a guide on the shelf material for the saw to rest against.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Try a triple chip blade on your circ saw using a guide/fence to run the saw's shoe against. P.S. 71/4" triple chip blades are rarer than 9-10-12s the one below is a little expensive but will give the best possible cut with a hand held saw.

http://www.amazon.com/Oldham-725P7260-4-Inch-Carbide-Surface/dp/B000LOIK0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304881085&sr=1-1-fkmr0
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited May 2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Tape down your cut area with painters tape helps keep laminate intact on the bottom side of the cut, use a fine tooth blade
    Also tape the cuts that you will be making and it will help keep the laminate from chipping. I always do this when cutting veneered ply and does the trick to keep it from chipping:biggrin: oops I guess I was too late:redface:
    DON73 wrote: »
    A circular saw with a fine (many) tooth blade. You'll need to clamp a guide on the shelf material for the saw to rest against.
    gdb wrote: »
    Try a triple chip blade on your circ saw using a guide/fence to run the saw's shoe against. P.S. 71/4" triple chip blades are rarer than 9-10-12s the one below is a little expensive but will give the best possible cut with a hand held saw.

http://www.amazon.com/Oldham-725P7260-4-Inch-Carbide-Surface/dp/B000LOIK0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304881085&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Ditto to the above.

In my experience, you get the cleanest cut by cutting from the bottom so the saw teeath are coming UP into the taped laminate side.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    edited May 2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    DON73 wrote: »

Yeah, FINE tooth, that is what I was trying to say!:wink:
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thin kerf 60 or 80 tooth.
  • jamesfreak9
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »

???

Buddy i think rip saw will be best in this case for you as it make a rip cut across the wood.

And we can use these blades to cut the wood across the surface and over the stock.

Your 6 laminated stock shelves can be cut down by rip saw.

If you are good in woodworking then you can make super-clean cut using it.
    you can check this blog to get idea about Buying guide before purchasing it.

Best regards
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Jamesfreak9 reported.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Thin kerf 60 or 80 tooth.

This is what I used to cut countertops and cut it from the bottom with a circular saw. I usually clamp a board with some scrap boards to the bottom so the base of the saw has something to ride against for a straight cut.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    If you go the circular saw route,use a carbide tooth blade. 60-80 tooth as mentioned above,and use the painters tape as well.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    You guys know this is a 9 year old thread revived by a spammer, right?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Party pooper 😹😂

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Good tips though. And Kev might still be in the planning phase.
    I disabled signatures.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Now I really feel silly!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kevhed72
    edited September 2020
    Options
    For the life of me I cannot remember what project this was....
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    haha, looks like you started it when it was the old forum.

Here's an adjusted link
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/114645

Ring any bells?
    I disabled signatures.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    But I’m sure you used the right blade.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Ahhh. My idea at the time turned out to be a bust. I would post a current pic but the room is piled high with the hoarder/wife stuff due the flooded office. I'll update with a pic soon....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    John 1189 reported
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus