Atrium Sub100 Hookup

124»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Good idea, Ron, and something else just occurred to me.

Since that sub is meant to be run off of speaker level outputs, do you think it's probably got the low pass crossover filter built into the circuit?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Likely
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    and the max it will pass is 150

from manual
    Midrange/Woofer Crossover Frequency150 Hz
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Let's forget the Crown completely for now

Unhook the speakers completely. Put sub on front speaker terminals
    AVR setting for front as small and 100hz xover...or even 120hz
    Just to hear loudness and some dialog.

You can then from the AVR add the Klipsch all in the living room in a controlled limited environment as per diagram excluding the Crown for now.

• CGC
    CGC Posts: 51
    Tried to send this last night.
    Not coax.

KabelDirekt
    4.7 out of 5 stars 3,265 Reviews
    KabelDirekt RCA Stereo Cable, Cord (3 feet Short, Dual 2 x RCA Male to 2 x RCA Male Audio Cable, Digital & Analogue, Double-Shielded, Pro Series) Supports (Amplifiers, AV Receivers, Hi-Fi)

• CGC
    Conversed with the Crown tech. Says no volume setting in the XLS 1002 but suggested I purchase a "Rolls MB15B which is designed to convert from a consumer line level (RCA) to pro line level. It has a gain knob as well and can be used to boost your signal going to the Crown. Seems like you can also just use RCA outs on it and the gain adjustment knob can still be used to boost the signal."

He believes the problem lies within the Yamaha AVR Sub Preouts, not putting out enough power.
  • txcoastal1
    edited August 2020
    Nevermind...miss read specs on converter
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on

• CGC
    @txcoastal1

Reset Yamaha to factory defaults. Eliminated Crown amp. Disconnected Klipsch speakers and replaced with Sub100 in Yamaha Front position. Set Front to Small and 100Hz.

Cued up Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan. Played well through the Sub100 though, I was able to turn up to full volume on iOS app, 0.0dB. Not all that loud but no distortion. Good vibration on deck within a few feet of subwoofer.

Does that tell us anything useful?
  • txcoastal1
    The Crown tech is correct by adding the converter/booster.

When mingling pro gear and residential gear there are issues matching the gear

• CGC
    SUCCESS!!!

The Rolls ProMatch worked miracles. When first hooked up, I had the gain set to zero. I slowly inched it up and as I did, I watched the Crown’s meter lights slowly start climbing.

And, for the first time in weeks, the Atrium Sub100 was actually performing. Sounded great! Felt great! Added the enhanced dimension I was hoping for.

The deck was vibrating so, I added two screws in the deck boards and used the keyhole slots built into the Atrium. Vibration gone. Now, just clean, crisp bass.

So, the gain settings on the Crown XLS 1002 are set to max. All speakers in the Yamaha TSR-7850 settings are turned off with the exception of the two Fronts (Klipsch AW650’s) which are set to Small and 90Hz and the Sub set to Used/Normal. Level for both Fronts and Sub set to 0.0dB.

I can’t begin to thank Wesley at Crown, Keith at Yamaha and txcoastal1 and especially msg, here in this fabulous forum, for all their expertise, knowledge and patience above and beyond. You’ve put up with my vast inexperience and taught me a great deal for which I am forever in your debt.

I have ordered a TrickleStar 4 outlet advanced power tap so I can fire up everything from my iPhone. Lazy old guy.

Next will be to clean up all the wiring in the house. A demand from the better half.

But for now, time to stop and enjoy all your hard work with a cold beer and Huey Lewis.

Thanks again,

Chris
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Fantastic news, Chris. This was a fun project, glad it all came together and you're enjoying the tunes!

Better watch out, you keep talking like you are, you might be offerin' up some audio setup and troubleshooting services of your own B)
    I disabled signatures.