Rings,Don't have to be Larry's,similar would be nice.

Putting the feelers out here ...To suit 1.2's <3

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Two words, hurricane nuts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    F1nut wrote: »
    Two words, hurricane nuts.

If you can't get Larry's rings, hurricane nuts are the next best thing.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Sda Srs. already have inserts. I have Used hurricane nuts before and won’t again.
    I’ll have to wait 🤔nothing compares to Larry’s. Rings. ❤️
  • ptrooper

Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I wish I had it in me to commit doing another run but my house keeps me busy, and I like my free time as well.. B)

Let me help towards your costs of renovations Larry 😀 Don’t worry about doing a big run!
    I am seriously contemplating shipping a set of 1.2’s to Australia .
    Cheers
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270

ptrooper wrote: »
    Sda Srs. already have inserts. I have Used hurricane nuts before and won’t again.
    I’ll have to wait 🤔nothing compares to Larry’s. Rings. ❤️

Now I really want a pair of Larry's rings if they are that much better than hurricane nuts.
  • F1nut
    I've used hurricane nuts and Larry's rings, they accomplish the same thing.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    sound different though!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Nuts and rings....yep definitely different :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    ptrooper wrote: »
    sound different though!

That is in your head.

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    edited August 2020
    My .05 % hearing loss tells me different.
    Lets not get of track now.
    If any one has them hidden away, unused or the know how with the tools and equipment to make them, by all means pm me!
    Post edited by ptrooper on
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    If you have old speakers that are goners that you are not going to try to fix you could cut away the steel rims and could mount them inside your cabinet with a hurricane nut at each hole and some JB Weld. Bingo. Larry's Rings. Don't have a clue how to get the one for the passive radiator in however without bending it, which would definitely entail grinding away some of the flange material to make that possible.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ptrooper
    edited September 2020
    @Toolfan66,I hope you don't mind if anyone copy's your rings to a certain degree B) I'm currently imagining other version of Larry's rings <3
    Over time i know you had to cut certain sections down to accomodate internal bracings to some models, SDA SRS etc.
    If there is any other info you'd like to share from your knowledge base ,that would be nice!
    Cheers again for everything you have done for everyone including myself etc.Theres a piece,you have touched in all the polks i have !
  • Gardenstater
    edited September 2020
    Unless you have access to a waterjet or laser cutting machine, I wouldn't think they would be very easy to make and definitely wasteful of sheet metal either way. I don't think they could be bent up out of flat stock and welded, but with the right machinery may even be possible. Other option is to machine them from huge cylindrical steel stock, a la xschop.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Yes,A thicker base would be a nice upgrade to Larry's rings ,i found glueing them in was better than letting them sit there. When testing my two identical sets of SDA SRS with firm hard knocking they were ringing or should i say resonating extremely differently from each other.
    Note: i drilled once without any forward and back reeming with the drill bit ,i then firmly pressed them into place so any slightly angled holes would have slight difference in tensions between each hole!
    Having high concerns over the "huge" difference in sound between the two SRS when knocking ,i even had friends who listened whilst i tapped and knocked , they could hear the difference from well over 20 feet away.

Glued = no difference between my two sets.

My SDA SRS sound much better with them glued!...nothing fancy ,I just wiped a generous amount of power grab along the outer edge of the allready installed rings! easy peasy!

I dare people to try it!
  • I have never used Larrys Rings but I have said here before that if the steel is thin which it appears to be, that they should be epoxied to the particle board. So I feel what you are saying backs that up or confirms that.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Not forgetting ,Larry's rings are a huge game changer even if not glued in!
    I beleive , no matter what rings go into the old Polks, taking the time and epoxying them in completely, will definitely give further gains again.
    Hopefully i'll be testing that theory in the near future.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    edited September 2020
    I replied in private on my design but also believe gluing in the thinner rings also increases rigidity of the old particle board.

I don't own 1.2TLs so a good design can be achieved by looking at the factory inner bracing and go from there.

Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ptrooper
    edited September 2020
    I only have the SRS but from stalking pictorial memory, the 1.2TLs have much less bracing due to a more ridged bezel which i think was from laminating so a much less chance of bracings being in the way!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2020
    SRS are made from particle board, and yes much more bracing. 1.2 is medium density fiberboard or MDF. They may only have the long center brace inside down the middle between the drivers
    Much more rigid.

At least that is what I was led to believe.
  • xschop
    So a thicker, semi-circular (top-bottom) rings would clear the internal bracing? The bracing between MWs on 2B's is the reason why I passed making a full-circular set. A thicker semi-circular set would clear the center bracing and make the baffle much more rigid to boot.
  • ptrooper
    edited September 2020
    My two sets of SRS and 2.3'S front bezels were made from a fibre board but their sides and rear panels were definitely a partical board.
    MY crs+, 1b's and 2a's front bezels were definitely a partical board! ..With this partical board ,you had to take care when working near the edges as they could quite easily crumble when drilling etc !
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SRS are made from particle board, and yes much more bracing. 1.2 is medium density fiberboard or MDF. They may only have the long center brace inside down the middle between the drivers
    Much more rigid.

At least that is what I was led to believe.

• I think whatever material is used we want the highest stiffness to volume ratio (that's not what she said :D ) For that reason I don't really think carbon fiber would be good even though it is stiffer than steel pound for pound (I believe...have to check this). Titanium may be cost prohibitive. It would be interesting to check if any aluminum alloys would be better than steel, given the right temper. I doubt it.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    7505-T6 or 4140 cold-rolled. Both will do the job, The 7505 will not oxidize. The 4140 steel can easily be primed/painted before install.
  • Gardenstater
    edited September 2020
    Stainless Steel would probably be too expensive. Usually with things like this cost effectiveness and ease of manufacture win out. If it is going to continue to be a sheet metal fabrication product I think PEM nuts are the way to go, pressed into the sheet metal.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You guys are WAY WAY over thinking this.

How so?
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I have a set that Larry anodized. Sharp looking!