Pyle any good?

gwdgs
gwdgs Posts: 13
edited February 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
I can get a Pyle PT560AU pretty cheap.
Is Pyle any good or should I buy something else?
http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT560AU/300-Watts-Digital-AMFMUSB-Stereo-Receiver-
It will be used for home 2 ch w/ sub
Post edited by gwdgs on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2012
    I had a Pyle amp for a short time... build quality wasn't too good.

I would be worried that the unit fails shortly.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • gwdgs
    gwdgs Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    Ya I just did some checking no sub output on the one I was looking at.
    Looks like I keep saving for the M NR1402
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited January 2012
    Stay away....very far away!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2012
    halo71 wrote: »
    Stay away....very far away!

That's what I was trying to say while being nice...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Pyle of crap.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited January 2012
    If you're looking for a great bang for your buck stereo receiver, look no further than the HK 3490.
  • logo896
    logo896 Posts: 322
    edited January 2012
    You could also consider an integrated amplifier since your only looking at 2 channel you dont need all the extra stuff in there. Consider the used market for sure like audiogon.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited January 2012
    I use some of Pyle's speaker offerings but I wouldn't suggest wasting your time on their electronics.
    Too much **** to list....
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2012
    Pyle goes for the low-end pro-gear market, the gear works is about the best I can say for it, I would never use it for home stereo application.

RT1
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited January 2012
    Are you guys sure it's not one of those "giant killers" I'm always hearing about? :cheesygrin:
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited January 2012
    Agreed. Fun and cheap for experiments.
    Too much **** to list....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2012
    decal wrote: »
    Are you guys sure it's not one of those "giant killers" I'm always hearing about? :cheesygrin:
    Very.

In fairness and in the interest of disclosure, though...
    I do have a pair of Pyle compression drivers here that I actually bought with malice aforethought. The Fs and claimed frequency response of the driver fit my intended application (Altec 511B horns) and they cost, like, 27 bucks a pop. They're hefty, reasonably well made and they sound OK. Hard to knock them, really... but we're not talking Altec/JBL class compression drivers, either - probably not even Selenium/Eminence/B&C grade. Cheap enough to play with, though.

EDIT - FWIW here is what I was doing; just playing around - a Frankenspeaker with a 511B and the aforementioned Pyle driver on top, and the bass section of an AR-2 (unsuffixed) on the bottom - "vertically biamped" in the most ghetto manner imaginable - the horn/driver (with XO) hooked to one channel of an hk 330i receiver, and the AR-2 bass section hooked to the other channel. Feed a mono signal to the receiver, and "tune" the HF/LF integration with the "balance" control. :-P MacGyver would be proud.

notzacklyVOT.jpg

It worked a treat, actually.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited January 2012
    My Dad used to have some PyleDriver subs in his car in the late 80's. I do remember them sounding very good. Mind you he was not into rap or rattling teeth or anything, but they were decent woofers.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited February 2012
    many years ago (as with a lot of brands of almost anything imaginable) Pyle was very good. They originally produced only speakers. I think but am not sure the company's start up owners last name was Pyle. Hence the original name of Pyle Drivers. Sometime in the 90's the company was bought out by an electronics corp (Sound Around) that now holds many brands such as Pyramid, Lanzar, legacy, and others. Since then it has mostly been very cheaply made Chinese equipment. The sound lets you know it as well. I personally would not recommend any current Pyle speakers or equipment for use in a situation where you expect to enjoy it/ them. If you need something cheap just to fill a hole or get you by for a very short period, you may be ok, but the sound and quality is lacking on all of their product produced in the last 15 or so years IMO.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • vilkas
    vilkas Posts: 1
    how to reset pyle hybrid pro p1001at 1000whatts? help me
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    o51dbtm9b5sy.jpg

or go 9-pound to ensure a one and done reset. :|
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    tnf3iy80gbmd.jpg

Or an old fashion plye driver. :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    F1nut wrote: »
    o51dbtm9b5sy.jpg
    [/quote

kaydg4gpzhj3.jpeg

Go big,or go home.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I had my Pyles removed surgically.
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    I think we’re a bit too hard on Pyle. I have a phono preamp around here that I use once in awhile. It’s crazy inexpensive, absolutely dead quiet and it compares favorably with my Parasound phono preamp. They obviously use cheaper opamps but a slight loss of sound stage and small lack of punch in the bass are all I can hear. But these things are less than fiddy bucks! They come in very handy at times.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    OleBoot wrote: »

is that why you sing soprano?
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Willow wrote: »

I think you are confusing your Pyles with your NADs. Having said that, since the surgery I do get an improved baked bean treble response.
  • mhardy6647
    Willow wrote: »

I think you are confusing your Pyles with your NADs. Having said that, since the surgery I do get an improved baked bean treble response.

^^^ That is signature line material, that is!
    I am rolling on the floor here.