New Magico M9 speaker

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Only $750K/pair. Think I will get a pair for the stereo, and two pair for the HT.

3xvmmi6gteie.jpeg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    And don’t forget a pair for the shop.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Hmm, do they have a bigger model?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Yeah, at just half a ton each, I'd feel a little wimpy having these things around, and probably be embarrassed to have people over.
    I disabled signatures.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I’ve been looking to replace the speakers in my garage system. I’ll probably grab a pair.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I'll sell my house. I'm confident these will sound good under the bridge.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BlueFox
    On a serious side, here are details. Maybe in a few years I will do a speaker upgrade, and some of this technology will have trickled down to a more affordable speaker.

https://www.magicoaudio.com/news/m9?fbclid=IwAR2IFTcYjJ19oUH0nAazjTdBz5a1kHge1m2sIgG7m_kMgoqMbFjxs7JVpXI

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Flux density up to 1.2 Tesla...
    WOW. That's.... I don't know WTF that is.
    Impressive? Scary? Where's that damn head exploding emoji...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Oh my god, it’s 4 ohm impedance. I’m out!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    And on a more serious note, there are people who buy these without batting an eye, haggling, or perusing forums for information and opinions.

That is an impressive piece of audio tech. Wow.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Amazing
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    There’s some serious engineering and materials science going into those. Good read on what they are and why they are special. Wow.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, just goes to show that we are definitely not the draw for a lot of these manufacturers. I think there are way more ultra high end audiophiles who consume these type of products than we would like to believe.

These are not persons who peruse the forums like we do. They are silent and just consume like no ones business.

I have spoken to people in the business who say it is more routine for their average client to write up an invoice for $200k for a stereo versus a $40k stereo system.

We just don’t know about it because we don’t hang out in those circles.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    I always wondered how much money you’d have to make to afford this kind of a speaker.

My rough guess would be $5mm a year.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2020
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I always wondered how much money you’d have to make to afford this kind of a speaker.

My rough guess would be $5mm a year.

Nah. I have $3500 (I believe?) MSRP speakers and I make minimum + tips. You just have to save for longer and use your money conservatively.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Don't forget each speaker needs two amplifiers, and associated cables. That's the deal breaker for me.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Slight clarification there: "A pair of M9 loudspeakers requires two stereo or four monaural amplifiers."

They're also 1,000lb each.
  • BlueFox
    That's why I said 'each speaker'.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    I would think if you are dropping that kind of money then running that kind of power would hardly slow you down
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited August 2020
    Each speaker requires either one stereo amplifier, or two mono amplifiers.
  • Nightfall
    Clipdat wrote: »

:o Holy moly. A pair of M9's weighs as much as a small car.

• Joey_V
    Nightfall wrote: »

But it costs as much as a house
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126

And a very nice house in most of the country.

Spinning off your idea of how much do you need to make to afford a speaker like that? I think you don't seriously consider speakers like that until you have enough money that annual income is kind of a gray area because so much is coming in. I think once you have enough money, you really only focus on when your money stops making money.

I'm sure most conversations around the pricing of those speakers is "That's fine, I have to have it." or "We were already of selling beach house #5 this year anyway, so it was easy" or "that's fine, this quarter's dividends just came in."
    Because realistically if you need to stretch for those speakers, you probably aren't buying them.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Joey_V

And a very nice house in most of the country.

Spinning off your idea of how much do you need to make to afford a speaker like that? I think you don't seriously consider speakers like that until you have enough money that annual income is kind of a gray area because so much is coming in. I think once you have enough money, you really only focus on when your money stops making money.

I'm sure most conversations around the pricing of those speakers is "That's fine, I have to have it." or "We were already of selling beach house #5 this year anyway, so it was easy" or "that's fine, this quarter's dividends just came in."
    Because realistically if you need to stretch for those speakers, you probably aren't buying them.

Yeah, that’s what I’m getting at.

At approximately $5mm annual, there’s so much coming in, that if you chose to put 750k in a set of speakers, you can do it.

Considering money used to live is probably 1mm pretax, you would have 4mm pretax left.

In my opinion, I believe a budget 10-15% of annual income is an achievable number for most audiophiles.... which is how I got to the number of $5mm/year.
  • Nightfall
    What about the person making $1m a year but he lives in the same paid off house as when they were making $60k, driving the same paid off car, doesn't care to flex with expensive clothes or a collection of Rolex, doesn't go out for fine dining and expensive bottles of wine, but they love audio and music?

• Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    What about the person making $1m a year but he lives in the same paid off house as when they were making $60k, driving the same paid off car, doesn't care to flex with expensive clothes or a collection of Rolex, doesn't go out for fine dining and expensive bottles of wine, but they love audio and music?

There are always exceptions to the rule.

But I still don’t think so. A stretch at a mil per year, but I doubt it.

Doable, but you’d need a few years to save up for it.

There are very very few million dollar earners I know who don’t have a family... a bachelor can pull this speaker off with a mil per year earning.

But bring in a family and trust me, you buy a $750k speaker and you can bet that the wife will be wondering why you’re subjecting your kids to a small used car sacrificing safety (not necessarily luxury), not private school, and not creating a trust, etc.

The disposable dwindles real fast. And hobbies become the least important notch on that list.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    The moral of the story is that these speakers are for the true global 1% (or even top 0.5%). Not to mention that most of the ultra wealthy aren't tracking annual income, they are focused on network.

Just for fun, I did some quick math:
    1% on a global scale is a much larger group than most people realize, about 78M people.
    Even if you only capture 5% of the top 1% globally, you're still looking at 3.9M people. If you can get 5% of that 3.9M to purchase, well you've made 195,000 sales. So if you believe the market can bare 5% of the top 1% globally purchasing speakers over $700K, well you have a market capacity of over $146B. 1% of the top 1% still yields a $29B market. So the market exists... if you can get them to part with their money.

And in reality, some of buyers might be willing to purchase the same system twice so they can have the same comforts at each home. Not uncommon among the ultra wealthy. Because if you're buying these speakers, it's highly unlikely you only have one property.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • BlueFox
    I suspect these speakers are just a proof of concept experiment. They will sell a few, but expect a technology trickle down into less expensive speakers.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    I think Wilson chronosonic is a good basis, around 500k I believe and they made less than 20 pairs
  • Who would buy $500k-$750k speakers if 20k other people had them?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable