New preamp arrived!

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
New preamp arrived!

UPS just left it in front of the garage without signature confirmation... I thought the delivery was supposed to require my signature but I guess not.

My guess is that with covid they want to keep deliveries touchless.

Was running late for class so I had to leave it there, but luckily my neighbors don’t know what’s in the box so I found it in the same spot upon returning home!

It’s going to be an interesting night in the stereo room tonight. Hopefully this is worth the pretty penny.
npz36nbo2apb.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Wow, can’t believe they just left it.

Good luck tonight.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Two boxes. Does it have a separate power supply? Can't wait for the review.

I have had a lot of packages left without getting my signature. This was even before Covid-19.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Nice! New toys!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    First of all
    HE'S ALIVE
    ALIVE!!!

Secondly

YOU SUCK JOEY!! :p:D;)
  • Joey_V
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Two boxes. Does it have a separate power supply? Can't wait for the review.

I have had a lot of packages left without getting my signature. This was even before Covid-19.

Yeah a dual box Reference preamp.

I went with the Ref 40 👍
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats señor
  • Joey_V
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Congrats señor

Gracias mi amigo
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    My pre has a separate power supply for EACH channel.... damn rookies. :p;)

Congrats on the new toy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Give us a comparison to the SLP-05 once you get some hours on it.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2020
    My local buddy just took delivery of the Ref 10 tonight also, which is the newer version of the Ref 40.

Both appear like beasts.

Hopefully I’ll get mine up soon.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2020
    Some preamp designs subscribe to the "less is more" approach.

It appears that Audio Research subscribes to the "more is more" approach! :)
  • Joey_V
    I enjoyed my two box Cary... hopefully this ARC 40 is better for me.
  • Clipdat
    What amplifier will you be hooking this up to?
  • Joey_V
    This is not simple to unpack, the foam is tight against these massive coke can size capacitors

x0butm430hpt.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    I hate installing tubes for the first time

I always worry about breaking the sockets

y8gax7d3cf9b.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What amplifier will you be hooking this up to?

The Boulder 2060
  • Joey_V
    Power supply unpacked.

Im gonna stick with stock tubes rather than the Russians for now...

kok27meiltk3.jpeg
    njmxsocr3c6f.jpeg
    2flekl1yoyyj.jpeg
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    ARC does a good job picking out their “stock” tubes.
    Get a feel for the girl before you go futzing with her pointy bits.

Also, congrats! Boulder and ARC are 2 of my favorites.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Super cute kids as well! You are blessed.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Joey_V wrote: »

y8gax7d3cf9b.jpeg

Have you ever had a tube socket break, I'd be more worried about breaking the circuit board that the socket is connected to.
  • Joey_V
    invalid wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

y8gax7d3cf9b.jpeg

Have you ever had a tube socket break, I'd be more worried about breaking the circuit board that the socket is connected to.

Yeah, the whole unit including the circuit board is always a worry to me. Takes me almost a minute of slow pressure to slowly install the tube.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2020
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Super cute kids as well! You are blessed.

Thx man!

The wife is great too... barely gave me any trouble with them boxes sitting there.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Joey.... is what pre is this replacing?
    Is it the Cary slp 05?
    That looks like a serious pre there....
  • Joey_V
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Joey.... is what pre is this replacing?
    Is it the Cary slp 05?
    That looks like a serious pre there....

Ultimately replaces the 05

I needed a unit with a separate power supply as I believe a lot of the sound comes from the power supply.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Well played on all fronts, sir!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Wow !

Nice , very nice !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2020
    Congrats on a stellar pre amp Joey. The new production 6h30 tubes are actually very good. If you go the 6H30 DR's, make sure they are the real deal before plunking down that much cash. I retubed from Upscale.

How to spot the real deal.

http://webboard.createhouse.net/index.php?topic=220.0
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2020
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Some preamp designs subscribe to the "less is more" approach.

It appears that Audio Research subscribes to the "more is more" approach! :)

I was looking at the circuit board, it’s actually not complex... very symmetric and truly balanced.