Resistor value in SRS 2 (pin/blade)

Hello,
When I rebuilt my crossovers for my SRS 2's I used Mills MRA10 resistors instead of MRA12. Do you think these can handle the power or should I replace them with the MRA12. The 10's are the 7.5 ohm resistors in the signal path to the tweeters. I've been getting some pinched sounding vocals at fairly high levels and some "ringing" in mid to high frequency orchestra stuff which I didn't have before.
Any help will be appreciated.
Maketrax :cool:

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What tweeters are you using?
    One would think 10 watt would have been sufficient.
  • They're RDO194 tweeters in a SDA SRS2. I thought they would be sufficient also which is why I used them. I'm just searching for a solution for the "ringing" and occasional pinched vocals.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The original resistors were 5 watt, so 10 watt is way more than enough.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The original sand-cast resistors were 5 watt. The 10 watt Mills are fine. Which capacitors are you using in the high-pass section? Did you eliminate the Polyswitches?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sonicaps are used in the high-pass section. The polyswitch was replaced by a .5mf Mills MRA12 resistor.
  • F1nut
    I suspect you are now hearing the short comings of your upstream components.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I'm using the pre-amp out from a Harmon-Kardon receiver. Pre-amp to a Carver TFM-42 amp. These items are working properly.
  • F1nut
    Yep, I nailed it.

President of Club Polk

• Thanks but I've swapped pre-amps and power amp and these items are working perfectly. These same components were used with these speakers before re-building
    the crossovers and while building the crossovers I just replaced the components as I removed the old ones. I also had a schematic from Polk to assist.
    I only re-built these crossovers because they were 30+ years old. They still sounded very good.
  • F1nut
    There's a difference between working correctly and the actual quality of what they are putting out. Your speakers are now capable of showing the short comings of those upstream components.

President of Club Polk

• I don't think you nailed anything, Pal. You just showed your prejudice towards older brands you didn't like. These were very good sounding pieces and still are if serviced properly. The Carver TFM-42 is 375 watts per channel at 8 ohms and sounds great! And it was re-capped by Rita at Carver maybe 11 years ago. Also this gear is the same gear that was used before the speaker upgrades, and the speakers sounded very good before the work.
    Finally I would be willing to bet that I have more experience in this business of audio than you do. From managing audio stores in the '60s and '70s to playing in bands for 30 years. I was doing sound for bands for several years and owned and operated two recording studios.
    I just came up here to see if anyone had any ideas about these problems without any smart comments from someone like you - Pal!

• F1nut
    Good luck, you need it.

President of Club Polk

• Arrogant ****.
  • F1nut
    If I was being arrogant I would have said you obviously didn't learn much over the years. Instead I offered my educated experience as to the likely reason for the issue you are experiencing, which you dismissed with prejudice. So, after all it appears you didn't learn much over the years.

President of Club Polk

• No, you're just showing your true self with comments like "Yep, nailed it" and "Good luck, you need it." I'm closing up this so-call conversation. Just continue to write things in a way so that other members don't realize how rude you are.
    Bye!
  • F1nut
    edited July 2020
    I know the truth can be hard to handle, but you could at least try to understand and accept it.

President of Club Polk

• Hi Clipdat! I really like the picture. Very funny. First smile on my face for the last hour and a half. Thanks for this. Have a great day and stay safe!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    @jimkelly101 being a bit touchy today are we?
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Maybe the caps need some burn in time. Mine didn't sound great until I had several hours on them.