Bridge Plates vs Speaker Wire

I've seen a couple discussions recently where people were announcing improved audio quality from just replacing the bridge clips on the 5 way binding posts with 12 AWG speaker wire. This is not regarding bi-wiring, just short jumpers between posts.

I was a little confused by this as the cross sectional area of the clips seemed larger than 12 AWG wire so I measured it out.

Bridge Clips: Thickness = 0.63mm, Width=14mm A=TxW=8.8mm^2

12AWG: Diameter = 2.05mm A= Pi x r^2 = 3.14mm^2

As the clips are almost 3x more area, would that not mean the clips could handle more current by providing less resistance?
Could it have something to do with the quality of the clips as I don't know what they're made of. Solid something, or a less ideal metal that's been plated?

Just wanted to get some input from here in case someone has done it, or maybe I'm missing something, or maybe other brand speakers come with bad clips?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The plate jumpers are gold plated brass. Jumpers made from speaker cable will be copper or silver. Both have better conductivity than brass. That said, generic 12 gauge leaves a lot of the table compared to high end speaker cable.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The usual advice is “replace stock jumpers with good quality wire”.

Speaker wire is a topic that will get passionate arguments. One will be it makes no difference, wire is wire. The other just the opposite is that wire can make a huge difference.

It isn’t just the AWG of wire, it’s the materials and the manufacturing process also.

I personally removed the jumper plates from all of my RTI A speakers and heard a difference, but again that’s me.
  • Markardi
    Markardi Posts: 10
    Knowing that the bridge clips are made of gold plated brass is a significant factor. Brass, despite being a copper alloy, is a lot less conductive than copper so I'm glad I asked.

It can even be shown with calculations that 12AWG or better has less resistance than the stock clips.

Resistivity of Brass is usually between 6 ~ 9x10^-8 where as Copper is 1.7x10^-8. This is a material property with units of Ohm Meters.

Resistance of a wire can be calculated as R=Resistivity x (Length of wire/Cross sectional area).

Resistance of the clips at the low end (6x10^-8) = 0.000341 and at the high end (9x10^-8) = 0.000511. The gold plating is essentially insignificant.

Resistance of a 12AWG copper wire with 50mm length = 0.000258
    Even if you increase the length of wire to 60mm, R=0.000309.

So yes, those of you who claim to have improved audio quality, I believe you, you've even got some math to back it up.

For reference, I use the Monoprice 12AWG oxygen-free copper speaker wire for all the runs to my RTi A speakers. I will certainly try replacing the clips with wire.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited May 2020
    What about these ?
    Came standard on my Salks ....
    Bare copper , Cardas....

Bk

kskmmvjjn8ix.jpeg
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    As cheap as speaker wire is especially bulk I don't know why they would even use those brass jumpers anymore. Higher end speakers even polk has been using speaker wire jumper over the brass ones.
    It's a super cheap easy upgrade that will yield very small but noticeable gains.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    We I changed the brass jumpers on my S60's I did one and didn't tell the kids who use my system as much as I do. My oldest came to me the next day asking what I changed. So I did the other.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    12 ga isn’t necessary for some two way speakers - eg RTi 4/6 or RTi A1/3. The jumper connects the tweeter. If it connects the midrange/upper bass... ...yeah.

Regardless you should use something better than coat hanger for same - you get what you pay for 😊

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    You can buy flat copper buss bar and drill it for bridges. I can’t imagine a better solution. I’d be surprised and impressed if you could hear the difference, but you never know. I’ve known people that pick up on some stuff I can’t begin to hear.

I suppose this is obvious, but it’s best to connect your speaker cable to the ”lower” binding post so the factory provided bridge carries just the minuscule tweeter current.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    . I suppose this is obvious, but it’s best to connect your speaker cable to the ”lower” binding post so the factory provided bridge carries just the minuscule tweeter current.

It all goes through the crossover before it goes to the tweeters so it really doesn't matter top or bottom. Some actually fund benefits in diagonal connection. That is were one cable is in the lower and one is in the top binding post.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    . I suppose this is obvious, but it’s best to connect your speaker cable to the ”lower” binding post so the factory provided bridge carries just the minuscule tweeter current.

It all goes through the crossover before it goes to the tweeters so it really doesn't matter top or bottom. Some actually find benefits in diagonal connection. That is were one cable is in the lower (red or black)and one is in the top binding post(red or black). Still using plates or short piece of cable (which I feel is better than plates)

Fixed it.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I think keeping the connection as short as possible to the largest driver best serves your sound
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I would argue that most musical nuances are in the uppermid/treble region. So connection to the tweeter terminals is best.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2020
    Top or bottom posts, I can't see where it makes a damn bit of difference if one is using the same speaker cable for the jumpers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk rocks. Well I think it is about the OCD factor, but, soft flexible cables is best. And pretty cable is pretty, as well flat copper speaker bridges are easier then a short wire of any color. But, then again, tighten able banana connectors on a short wire, for a bridge is cool too. But, the point is, easy, tight, and pretty.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    gregchick wrote: »

But, the point is, easy, tight, and pretty.

Waaahahaha
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Something out of a dream?
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Is this another one of those you can only pick two questions.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    What is happening here....where am I?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2021
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    What is happening here....where am I?

Admiral Stockdale! You're back!
    B)

fdjptq9862ei.png
  • pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

guess they hadn't heard of Audioquest ?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

guess they hadn't heard of Audioquest ?

There was a brief, early mention of AQ, actually.
    That poor guy picked the wrong forum/group of folks to proselytize to. ;)
  • Here’s a basic question. I have a Marantz 2230 receiver/amp with A&B speaker selections. I have a choice of subwoofers. A Polk Audio PSW 10 or Definitive Technology Pro 800. My bookshelf speakers are Polk Audio RTi A1 running off the A connectors. -robably upper connectors?
    To add a subwoofer I want to try the advice from Paul at PS Audio. Use a jumper speaker wire from the A speakers connection to the subwoofer aka parallel connection. (That way I am not splitting the power output between A&B. Right?)
    I think I can run the A speaker output wire from the Marantz to the upper connectors on my Polk RTi A1 speakers and the subwoofer jumpers from the lower speaker connectors to the DT pro800 SW as long as the bridge connector is in place?
    Am I right? Comments appreciated. New to the forum. Thx.
  • F1nut
    (That way I am not splitting the power output between A&B. Right?)

No, the two subs in question are powered by their own amplifier.

Do it this way.
    Receiver A outputs to speakers
    Receiver B outputs to sub
    Select A & B on receiver
    Adjust sub settings to your liking, sit back and enjoy the music.

President of Club Polk

• That’s what I thought and intended to do.
    Until I saw Paul’s video on PS stereos on hooking up a sub to vintage amp/receivers. He seems knowledgeable and suggested A selector output to speakers and speakers output to sub. All on one circuit?
    Don’t know why? But he was a little negative on using A&B outputs from amp? So I got the bright idea about using the lower lugs on the Polks to send signal to sub as the two sets of connections on the speakers are bridged?
    Probably over thinking it?
    I’ll probably go the easy route and hook it up as u suggested. Thx.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I'd listen to Jesse before I listened to Paul.
  • Also thx for info on the powered sub. That did not occur to me. So that makes me feel better about using both A&B.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Yep, all it's really doing is picking up the music signal.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    F1nut wrote: »
    (That way I am not splitting the power output between A&B. Right?)

No, the two subs in question are powered by their own amplifier.

Do it this way.
    Receiver A outputs to speakers
    Receiver B outputs to sub
    Select A & B on receiver
    Adjust sub settings to your liking, sit back and enjoy the music.

2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I’ve been running my Marantz 2238B like this for a couple of years now with no issues..
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre