Best and worse jobs you have had....

NotaSuv
NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
Worse without a doubt was running a rock wool baler in Red Wing Mn......best was owner/operator of a 52 foot commercial fishing boat out of Key West 75-85

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2020
    I only ever did one thing -- the best stint doing it was with Genetics Institute, which became Wyeth BioPharma (and ultimately Pfizer). 1996 to 2011 for me.

Also had the best boss I ever had -- Hubie Scoble. Taught me so, so much about how to do efficient, effective for-profit R&D while sacrificing neither quality nor integrity. Plus, he had faith in his employees, trusted and enabled them, and he had their backs when the goin' got tough (e.g., whenever there was misguided pressure from above). I used to say of him that, almost to a person, members of his organization would willingly take a bullet for him without hesitation. He was (is) a true and remarkable leader. Scientifically excellent, too.

Worst job. umm... well, there were two different companies with which I had moderately short stints. I'll not name names. Neither still exists, although one is still sort of around, albeit under a different name and ownership.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Was reminded of this. Too naughty to post a real link.

aqzwfbxn171e.png

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited July 2020
    Best jobs - usher at a movie theater in DeKalb, IL
    2nd best - peon at a Rosatis Pizza joint. Yes, they gave us the job title of "peon".

Worst job - corn de-tasseler in Illinois in the summer. Lasted 1 day. Anyone who complains about these types of job being taken away....go try it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Oh yes walking bean and detassler...
    Wonderful jobs.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited July 2020
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Worst job - corn de-tasseler in Illinois in the summer. Lasted 1 day. Anyone who complains about these types of job being taken away....go try it.

hahah! Beat me to it. I too lasted one day doing it in the Wisconsin summer heat and humidity.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Worst Job: Busing tables and prep for a catering company as a wee lad.
    Best Job: What I'm doing now.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2020
    Worst Job: around college age, I did telemaketing funraising for a Symphony Orchestra
    Best Job: What I'm doing now. However, again around college age I worked at a bicycle shop. That job was pure fun!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Best job- running a cabinet company (now)

Worst- delivering cabinets (23 years ago)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited July 2020
    Worst job, working on the freight docks during the Texas Summer during my years in college to help pay for my education.

Best job, knowing that was my last job before being retired.

jstas I worked as a mechanic's helper one Summer and the head mechanic played a joke on me. He didn't tell me I needed to release the pressure on a hydraulic system before I worked on it and got sprayed with hydraulic fluid. He got a big laugh out of that.

I was going to get him back, but I had to go back to college in a few weeks and never got the chance.

I also got to play with big trucks as I sold Peterbilt trucks during my sales career. Those big Pete's rode almost as well as a car and would haul 80,000 lbs over 100 MPH, not that I recommend that as only a fool would do that.
    Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Worst job: Pig Slaughterer

Best job: Pig Slaughterer
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    What a great thread!

Worst Job: Writing parking tickets at the university I was attending while desperately struggling to pay my way through school (aka: "Ticket F#(%$r").

Best Job: Working as a wilderness guide and educator at that very same university for decades.

Quirkiest Best Job (honorable mention): Playing trumpet in a Christmas season Salvation Army quartet on the streets of uptown Charlotte with my music major bro and friends (all way better musicians than I). Certainly the best Salvation Army band that ever existed.

Quirkiest Worst Job (honorable mention): Shoving massive rough-sawn boards through a thundering, screaming, 22-ton double planer in the 110 degree heat/humidity/dust of a now burned down NC furniture plant.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Best job - Anything Friday Afternoon through Sunday Night

Worst Job - Everything Sunday Night through Friday Afternoon

I once spent a summer making mascara brushes with a mob of retired women. Not only were they funny as hell, but their level of lewd goes uncontested even to this day.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Best job: Warehose Lead at Sony's CRT plant

Worst job: just after High School I worked at a beer distributor. What made it bad was free beer. I put on like 25lb in 3 months...

What I do now is great but the last 8 years it's either been a screwed up parent company or our local management. Can't get a combo of the two in the right way.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Best job is my current job

Worst job was Bush sanitation for @lightman1
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    F1nut wrote: »
    What's a job?

$10. Same as downtown.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The first one and the last one.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Being laid off in the winter months and working on my own projects is my best job. The other 8 months of the year spent working in the asphalt paving industry are the worst.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Milito wrote: »
    jstas I worked as a mechanic's helper one Summer and the head mechanic played a joke on me. He didn't tell me I needed to release the pressure on a hydraulic system before I worked on it and got sprayed with hydraulic fluid. He got a big laugh out of that.

I was going to get him back, but I had to go back to college in a few weeks and never got the chance.

I also got to play with big trucks as I sold Peterbilt trucks during my sales career. Those big Pete's rode almost as well as a car and would haul 80,000 lbs over 100 MPH, not that I recommend that as only a fool would do that.

Practical jokes were pretty common. Everything from someone deliberately parking a truck on one of my hoses to the acetylene in a rubber glove while working with a torch or welding mask on. I didn't fall for much and when I did it was usually 'cause I was tired. But we worked with hydraulic systems all the time so I got sprayed often just trying to repair something. Most of my repair time was spent pulling broken hydraulic hoses and then taking them down the street to Pardo's who would repair them for us. Then I'd get to go pick them all up. At least I got free coffee and donuts out of that!

All of the trash company's trucks were Mack cab-overs except for 3 of the rolloffs which were Mack Granite bodies. One of the demolition companies used Kenworth tractors for hauling equipment, the other had ancient Autocar tractors. The paving company must have had a deal with Ford/International 'cause all his haulers were Ford F900/F9000 or a number of International flavors that he bought all new from the same dealer. The heavy equipment was all kinds of stuff from John Deere to Kubotoa to Caterpillar to Komatsu to Hitachi. The paving guy, his son was running a commercial lawn service (cutting grass/landscaping for places like malls, office parks, etc) and he started send the fleet of Mitsubishi-Fuso stake bodies to us too. So some days, I'd get a rig in and have to do a diesel service and then service all of the equipment that was on that trailer too.

I only ever had one Peterbilt and it was the trash company owner's son's Peterbilt 281 "narrow-nose". It was his "hot rod" and he did a ton of work to it but didn't have the heavy tools at home to do the big work. So he would bring it to the shop to do the service intervals and such on it and he usually "pulled rank" to get me to help him. It was a nice truck, a bit much for a "hot rod" but he was always asked to be in parades and stuff and had it in car shows. He would take trips with it and drive down to, like, Daytona Beach with it, bobtailing the whole way. It actually had a chopped top. Wish I had pictures of it.

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Best Job: Dolly grip on a feature film with a hilarious camera crew from Italy.

Worst Job: GG Allin's fluffer.

fluffer??

pillow fluffer....oh my

https://youtu.be/4NNVWfkGDUg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Worst jobs, dishwasher, landscaper, busser, waiter, janitor all in my youth.

Best jobs - Working in the aerospace industry designing turbine engines. 2nd best, what I'm doing now, automotive industry designing cars and trucks! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2020
    Wait, I forgot about a job a did for one day.

Worst Job: around college age, I did telemaketing funraising for a Symphony Orchestra *Correction >Working in the empty returnables department for Coca-Cola bottling in the 80's for one day was the worst by far! Heavy lifting, stacking crates, and sweeping up broken glass everywhere!
    Best Job: What I'm doing now. However, again around college age I worked at a bicycle shop. That job was pure fun!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Worst: High school summer job spraying county road ditches with 2-4-D. Probably why I got cancer.

Best: Running a tower crane in the summer across from the women's college dorms. Sun bathing on the roof...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2020
    Go Go Gadget Binoculars!
    owira0qxpcat.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Worst job: Navy nuke RO. 2am - 8pm work days can get kind of old after a month or two (depending how short our division was). Yep 6 and 6's aren't as much fun as you'd think

Best job: Navy nuke RO Awesome work with some of the smartest/craziest fuggers on the planet . Made me wonder how I snuck into that bunch until I realized
    ........well...the crazy part aspect.

I was once invited to be a "player" in the "movie" business by V*****'s mom (name withheld due to HIPPA laws) but I declined.
    I'm not that crazy. 😇

DISCLAIMER: Ok, I made the last part up but it could happen ! You don't know, it could happen ! 😳
    Sal Palooza