Best and worse jobs you have had....

NotaSuvNotaSuv Posts: 2,883
Worse without a doubt was running a rock wool baler in Red Wing Mn......best was owner/operator of a 52 foot commercial fishing boat out of Key West 75-85

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,797
    edited July 7
    I only ever did one thing -- the best stint doing it was with Genetics Institute, which became Wyeth BioPharma (and ultimately Pfizer). 1996 to 2011 for me.

Also had the best boss I ever had -- Hubie Scoble. Taught me so, so much about how to do efficient, effective for-profit R&D while sacrificing neither quality nor integrity. Plus, he had faith in his employees, trusted and enabled them, and he had their backs when the goin' got tough (e.g., whenever there was misguided pressure from above). I used to say of him that, almost to a person, members of his organization would willingly take a bullet for him without hesitation. He was (is) a true and remarkable leader. Scientifically excellent, too.

Worst job. umm... well, there were two different companies with which I had moderately short stints. I'll not name names. Neither still exists, although one is still sort of around, albeit under a different name and ownership.

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 695
    Was reminded of this. Too naughty to post a real link.

aqzwfbxn171e.png

• kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,192
    edited July 7
    Best jobs - usher at a movie theater in DeKalb, IL
    2nd best - peon at a Rosatis Pizza joint. Yes, they gave us the job title of "peon".

Worst job - corn de-tasseler in Illinois in the summer. Lasted 1 day. Anyone who complains about these types of job being taken away....go try it.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,738
    Oh yes walking bean and detassler...
    Wonderful jobs.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 8,306
    edited July 7
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Worst job - corn de-tasseler in Illinois in the summer. Lasted 1 day. Anyone who complains about these types of job being taken away....go try it.

hahah! Beat me to it. I too lasted one day doing it in the Wisconsin summer heat and humidity.
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,671
    Worst Job: Busing tables and prep for a catering company as a wee lad.
    Best Job: What I'm doing now.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • butterbeanbutterbean Posts: 234
    Worst job, drain pipe line at freedom plastics 1983 Janesville WI. Best job weld destruct lab Gm FT Wayne assembly. I will retire on this job!
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,763
    edited July 7
    Worst Job: around college age, I did telemaketing funraising for a Symphony Orchestra
    Best Job: What I'm doing now. However, again around college age I worked at a bicycle shop. That job was pure fun!
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 4,585
    Best job- running a cabinet company (now)

Worst- delivering cabinets (23 years ago)
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AS-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u

HT - Panasonic BDP/Tivo Bolt - Marantz SR5013 - Def tech C and In ceiling - Sony XBR 75"
  • MilitoMilito Posts: 976
    edited July 7
    Worst job, working on the freight docks during the Texas Summer during my years in college to help pay for my education.

Best job, knowing that was my last job before being retired.

jstas I worked as a mechanic's helper one Summer and the head mechanic played a joke on me. He didn't tell me I needed to release the pressure on a hydraulic system before I worked on it and got sprayed with hydraulic fluid. He got a big laugh out of that.

I was going to get him back, but I had to go back to college in a few weeks and never got the chance.

I also got to play with big trucks as I sold Peterbilt trucks during my sales career. Those big Pete's rode almost as well as a car and would haul 80,000 lbs over 100 MPH, not that I recommend that as only a fool would do that.
    Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp, B&K 4420 Reference, Bluesound NODE 2i, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LSiM705, LSiM704, Technics PD867, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Cullen Gold Power Cable, Signal Power Cables, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Fluance RT85, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios.
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 714
    Worst job: Pig Slaughterer

Best job: Pig Slaughterer
  • JazzheadJazzhead Posts: 114
    What a great thread!

Worst Job: Writing parking tickets at the university I was attending while desperately struggling to pay my way through school (aka: "Ticket F#(%$r").

Best Job: Working as a wilderness guide and educator at that very same university for decades.

Quirkiest Best Job (honorable mention): Playing trumpet in a Christmas season Salvation Army quartet on the streets of uptown Charlotte with my music major bro and friends (all way better musicians than I). Certainly the best Salvation Army band that ever existed.

Quirkiest Worst Job (honorable mention): Shoving massive rough-sawn boards through a thundering, screaming, 22-ton double planer in the 110 degree heat/humidity/dust of a now burned down NC furniture plant.
    Polk Audio original RTA-12 (1980) with 12 inch Polk Stands: DHS Speaker Service/David Shirly rebuilt crossovers including Sonicap/Mills, overdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged, tweeter diffraction mod, modified internal bracing, Cardas silver/rhodium binding posts, Neotech UPOCC internal wiring, Sonic Barrier 3-layer, Dynamat
    Ayre K-5xeMP line preamplifer
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player, Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects, Virtue Audio single ended interconnects
    Furez 10/2 speaker cable/connectors in shotgun configuration
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables, Silnote Poseiden GS UPOCC power cable
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit, Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet, Furutech eTP80, Shunyata Venom Defender
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,355
    Best job - Anything Friday Afternoon through Sunday Night

Worst Job - Everything Sunday Night through Friday Afternoon

I once spent a summer making mascara brushes with a mob of retired women. Not only were they funny as hell, but their level of lewd goes uncontested even to this day.
    “If your eyes didn’t water, it means I didn’t go deep enough” says the nurse administering my COVID19 test. She was sweet...
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,315
    Best job: Warehose Lead at Sony's CRT plant

Worst job: just after High School I worked at a beer distributor. What made it bad was free beer. I put on like 25lb in 3 months...

What I do now is great but the last 8 years it's either been a screwed up parent company or our local management. Can't get a combo of the two in the right way.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,910
    Best job is my current job

Worst job was Bush sanitation for @lightman1
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,320
    F1nut wrote: »
    What's a job?

$10. Same as downtown.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 7,119
    The first one and the last one.
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I’m thinking you’ve reached the point where people are afraid to open your posts.

I disabled
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,500
    Being laid off in the winter months and working on my own projects is my best job. The other 8 months of the year spent working in the asphalt paving industry are the worst.
  • JstasJstas Posts: 14,222
    Milito wrote: »
    jstas I worked as a mechanic's helper one Summer and the head mechanic played a joke on me. He didn't tell me I needed to release the pressure on a hydraulic system before I worked on it and got sprayed with hydraulic fluid. He got a big laugh out of that.

I was going to get him back, but I had to go back to college in a few weeks and never got the chance.

I also got to play with big trucks as I sold Peterbilt trucks during my sales career. Those big Pete's rode almost as well as a car and would haul 80,000 lbs over 100 MPH, not that I recommend that as only a fool would do that.

Practical jokes were pretty common. Everything from someone deliberately parking a truck on one of my hoses to the acetylene in a rubber glove while working with a torch or welding mask on. I didn't fall for much and when I did it was usually 'cause I was tired. But we worked with hydraulic systems all the time so I got sprayed often just trying to repair something. Most of my repair time was spent pulling broken hydraulic hoses and then taking them down the street to Pardo's who would repair them for us. Then I'd get to go pick them all up. At least I got free coffee and donuts out of that!

All of the trash company's trucks were Mack cab-overs except for 3 of the rolloffs which were Mack Granite bodies. One of the demolition companies used Kenworth tractors for hauling equipment, the other had ancient Autocar tractors. The paving company must have had a deal with Ford/International 'cause all his haulers were Ford F900/F9000 or a number of International flavors that he bought all new from the same dealer. The heavy equipment was all kinds of stuff from John Deere to Kubotoa to Caterpillar to Komatsu to Hitachi. The paving guy, his son was running a commercial lawn service (cutting grass/landscaping for places like malls, office parks, etc) and he started send the fleet of Mitsubishi-Fuso stake bodies to us too. So some days, I'd get a rig in and have to do a diesel service and then service all of the equipment that was on that trailer too.

I only ever had one Peterbilt and it was the trash company owner's son's Peterbilt 281 "narrow-nose". It was his "hot rod" and he did a ton of work to it but didn't have the heavy tools at home to do the big work. So he would bring it to the shop to do the service intervals and such on it and he usually "pulled rank" to get me to help him. It was a nice truck, a bit much for a "hot rod" but he was always asked to be in parades and stuff and had it in car shows. He would take trips with it and drive down to, like, Daytona Beach with it, bobtailing the whole way. It actually had a chopped top. Wish I had pictures of it.

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,303
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Best Job: Dolly grip on a feature film with a hilarious camera crew from Italy.

Worst Job: GG Allin's fluffer.

fluffer??

pillow fluffer....oh my

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verbverb Posts: 10,203
    Worst jobs, dishwasher, landscaper, busser, waiter, janitor all in my youth.

Best jobs - Working in the aerospace industry designing turbine engines. 2nd best, what I'm doing now, automotive industry designing cars and trucks! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,763
    edited July 9
    Wait, I forgot about a job a did for one day.

Worst Job: around college age, I did telemaketing funraising for a Symphony Orchestra *Correction >Working in the empty returnables department for Coca-Cola bottling in the 80's for one day was the worst by far! Heavy lifting, stacking crates, and sweeping up broken glass everywhere!
    Best Job: What I'm doing now. However, again around college age I worked at a bicycle shop. That job was pure fun!

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,369
    Worst: High school summer job spraying county road ditches with 2-4-D. Probably why I got cancer.

Best: Running a tower crane in the summer across from the women's college dorms. Sun bathing on the roof...
    One foot on audio nirvana and the other in the poor house.
  • msgmsg Posts: 5,755
    edited July 9
    Go Go Gadget Binoculars!
    owira0qxpcat.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,955
    Worst job: Navy nuke RO. 2am - 8pm work days can get kind of old after a month or two (depending how short our division was). Yep 6 and 6's aren't as much fun as you'd think

Best job: Navy nuke RO Awesome work with some of the smartest/craziest fuggers on the planet . Made me wonder how I snuck into that bunch until I realized
    ........well...the crazy part aspect.

I was once invited to be a "player" in the "movie" business by V*****'s mom (name withheld due to HIPPA laws) but I declined.
    I'm not that crazy. 😇

DISCLAIMER: Ok, I made the last part up but it could happen ! You don't know, it could happen ! 😳
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+