Aurum Cantus Magic Flute (in the house)

tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
edited June 2020 in Speakers
My living room was ready for something special for a while and here it is.
The Magic Flute caught my eye with its unique style and furnitureisqe (not a word I'm pretty sure) but gorgeous to say the least. The pics don't do em justice as when I unboxed them and removed the velvet bag they come in my jaw dropped and my wife just stood there and said "oh my" due to their beauty. Not many speakers will win in this category regardless of Beauty being in the eye of the beholder (I get that) but these are crazy beautiful.
Enough of that ..how do they sound???
I've heard my share of speakers and these are up there with the best of them all. Vocals are so real. Norah Jones sounded like she was in my living room and I'm still in awe.
Stock photo. Will take pics of mine shortly .
These babies are no doubt End Game for me.

Oh..yesterday was our 27th wedding anniversary and these were a gift to ourselves......but for me more😂😂🎩

Ok.added some pics and I know my phone camera sux. 142Lbs. S side and the little statues are beefy. Love these things.
Seller extended a like new set of Nordost Heimdall 2 cables and jumpers. So far so good on those too but haven't compared these cables to any other and as smooth as these are sounding I highly doubt I will. Talk about bliss...yup😃
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
Post edited by tophatjohnny on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Congratulations. Interesting design that looks to address many issues with speakers. Enjoy!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    wish i could be there with you and knock down a few brewkies to enjoy the new toy. :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tophatjohnny
    marvda1 wrote: »
    wish i could be there with you and knock down a few brewkies to enjoy the new toy. :D

Killin me brother 😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    http://www.aurumcantus.com/aurumcantu-loudspeaker/loudspeaker_Magic Flute.html

They have some pretty good weight to them. No toe in? It may just be the photos but it looks like you have them set straight forward. Is this because of the rear tweeter's location?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tophatjohnny
    edited June 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    http://www.aurumcantus.com/aurumcantu-loudspeaker/loudspeaker_Magic Flute.html

They have some pretty good weight to them. No toe in? It may just be the photos but it looks like you have them set straight forward. Is this because of the rear tweeter's location?

Tom

Yeah Tom and room to breathe away from the wall as they have this mysterious projection going on to that I'm hearing them nicely no matter where I am in the room or the main floor for that matter. That rear firing tweeter is so nice. The quality in sound is crazy.
  • marvda1
    how far apart do you have them?
    see if you can stretch them a little further apart to see how they sound.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tophatjohnny
    how far apart do you have them?
    see if you can stretch them a little further apart to see how they sound.

6.5 ft and it's going on. Lol I see ya want me getting another hernia😂😂😷
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Wow 22hz low freq. response?! Look at that monster woofer!

How's the bass performance? Congrats on your new speakers, Johnny.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    They are simply stunning! Congratulations!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Very nice, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Congrats on the anniversary and the great present!

Would like to hear more about the aluminum ribbon tweeters?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Congrats! Those look stellar!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    My bro. Dayum them nice! They look beautiful Johnny. Bet they sound better every minute.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Congrats Brotherman. Those are purddy.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • tophatjohnny
    Thanks guys. I'm not a tech guy in the least but I am a listening guy and have a great set of ears (Thank God) so in my ventures in the audio world I can say I have only heard this level of performance with speakers costing many thousands of dollars more than these run and even those didn't carry this level of elegance.
    I looked for quite a while and once one of my Montana SP3 towers gave me a problem (which by the way are up for sale in our flea market & on the cheap & sound really good too) I chose to make the move and so glad I did. These are not your ear bleed level speaker nor do I want that anymore in my life. These sound like velvet and are smooth to the ear. Wish I was more techie to speak on the makings but all I can add is that these are not going anywhere. Thanks again for the kind words.

THJ
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Very nice sit back and enjoy. And happy anniversary!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Congratulations on your 27 years together. Those speakers are exquisite, especially the overall shape. I know they must sound as good as they look.

The overall shape resembles the shape of banjo clocks that were originally made in the 1800's patented by Simon Willard, and the only original American designed clock. I used to collect antique clocks and any banjo clock was my favorite.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tophatjohnny
    edited June 2020
    @BlueBirdMusic , thank you and yes they sound even better than they look. The Magic Flute is not your typical boxy speaker and certainly nothing typical with its performance. Even a low volumes you hear a sense that you know there's quality in the air. Sure makes it hard not to keep them singing 🎶.
    I looked at some banjo clocks but a little upside down if ya will? Think mote of a beefy cello banjo. 😉
  • tophatjohnny
    Hello again, and sharing my weeks listening impressions as a week has passed since I said anything about these babies! I have been listening to these works of art like crazy. With a mere Yamaha RX-A1060 receiver & the Acurus A2007 (neither piece of gear there worthy of these speakers) but MAN....oh Man, the sounds I'm hearing are so beautiful that it makes it hard not to keep listening. They earn their model name over and over, producing magical nuances which have made just about everything I play through them a real treat. (listening to pretty much classy music and wowed with all I hear!! .. I am so happy with what I'm hearing that the looks of the cabinets are just a huge plus, so still pinching myself evey time I glance at the Magic Flutes and feel blessed I now own what are by far the nicest sounding and looking speakers I ever dreamed of owning.

The previous owner has treated me so kind throughout this exchange so we just worked out an arangement on Aurum Cantus Rhythm Center speaker which will make it's way here in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to that and will report in with pics and impressions once it gets here and all set up.

Aurum Cantus knocked it out of the park with The Magic Flutes guys, and no doubt the Rhythm Center will be right at home here too. Do I sound HAPPY with these speakers??? Never been happier and even though they aren't Polks, if I wouldn't have joind this forum and started out with a few sets of Polks, I wouldn't own any of this gear. You guys are a huge part of the reason I have what I have, including my crazy huge Digital library. So, thanks to all that have steered me, some still here, some not but here nor there, much love and respect for the patience and advice through the journey. No I'm not done, as there are more goodies needed to feed these special speakers, but first things first.

Back to the music and hope all are well.

THJ
  • marvda1
    I've got this waiting on you when you're ready.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189981/mastersound-compact-845
    Puritan PSM156
  • tophatjohnny
    I've got this waiting on you when you're ready.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189981/mastersound-compact-845

That's a beautiful piece . I'm a digital fool and will probably do another Vega G2. 😉
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Attaboy. You know these things are no joke. Love my Vega.

So glad you got that beautiful setup to enjoy downstairs. Can’t wait to see that center all hooked up.
    Congrats my brother.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your Anniversary THJ, and some Beautiful Speakers as well!
  • tophatjohnny
    Congrats on your Anniversary THJ, and some Beautiful Speakers as well!

Thanks Mike And owning these babies was sure a game changer and I can't believe the detail, depth and clarity they produce. Adding the Ushers as surrounds complimented the look and took the sound of movies to a whole other level. So happy I landed these speakers, the Ushers too!
  • tophatjohnny
    2 years later and the Flutes are still shining! What a great addition they have been! I’d say if anyone can get their hands on a set to jump on em! That or show me so I can!!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    So, what did you get for this anniversary? Tomorrow is 44 yrs for us and all I'm getting is a dinner at a newly opened brewery nearby(not complaining).

Are you still driving them with the same gear?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    2 years later and the Flutes are still shining! What a great addition they have been! I’d say if anyone can get their hands on a set to jump on em! That or show me so I can!!

Love the sound of Aurum Cantus ribbons. Such delicate, airy detail.

Congrats, even 2 years later. 😎
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Love the looks of those speakers. <3

I've been a huge fan of ribbon top ended speakers for about 40 years.

I'm going to go to the web and look at info on your speakers now. :)B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tophatjohnny
    muncybob wrote: »
    So, what did you get for this anniversary? Tomorrow is 44 yrs for us and all I'm getting is a dinner at a newly opened brewery nearby(not complaining).

Are you still driving them with (Yes the Same Acurus 2007A with a Marantz a8802 processor! Movies and music are very nice !
  • tophatjohnny
    edited June 2022
    Tony M wrote: »
    Love the looks of those speakers. <3

I've been a huge fan of ribbon top ended speakers for about 40 years.

I'm going to go to the web and look at info on your speakers now. :)B)

Here to testify the Magic Flutes are world class towers ! 2 channel listening is a treat but these are used more in a 5.2 set up tv and movies ! I have a completely different rig for music and while the.Usher CP 6381 towers are no match for the Flutes , they do an amazing job with the music! Thanks to my 2 channel processor!
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on