Do I need amp?

Gentlemen, I have recently bought a pair of rti a7, one csi4, one dsw 550 and a pair of rti a3. I have also bought a sr5014 marantz avr. Will this be enough to move the whole set? Do I need amp for the a7s?

Best Answers

Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    If you listen to music you will always need an Amp
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    How big is your room? Is this mainly for music or movies? Your mains will sound better with an amp, no doubt, but depending on room size and crossover point you might be ok without one.

But I agree with Trey that if music is important to you, you will notice a significant improvement with an amp...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thanks a lot both of you. Which kind of amp should I add? And how should I connect the avr, the additional amp and the a7s?
  • Thanks a lot rooftop59!
  • Would it be possible to use the subwoofer to amplifie the floorstanding speakers? The dsw 550 has a 200 w amp. What do you think?ffiknd7jv5gs.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    NO!!!

The sub amp drives the sub, nothing else.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Would it be possible to use the subwoofer to amplifie the floorstanding speakers? The dsw 550 has a 200 w amp. What do you think?

That amp can pass the signal on to your amplifier, but it will not power any other speakers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ok but then, what are those connections for? I mean the "speaker in" & "speaker out" that you can see in the picture.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Those are for speaker level connections as opposed to line level type connections.
  • Thank you very much Ken and Kex!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    You're welcome, enjoy!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2020
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Do I need amp for the a7s?
    yup. Unless Marantz stacks up well in the power department, after you get what you have set up, connected, sounding OK, those ‘A7s would be much happier w/a separate amp.

I agree w/...
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Do not get a pro amp, get an amp designed for home use. Parasound, B&K, rotel are good [used] options. If you want to buy new here’s about the best deal you’ll find: https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2125V2. Outlaw* has a great 5 channel amp you might look at: https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index.php?id_product=27&rewrite=model-5000&controller=product
    Avoid emotiva, they’re too bright for the RTiA series.
    lots of good advice above. Also Outlaw sells good mono amps at a good price.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/amps.html

You should find some* used eBay, etc

A side note: the last couple of weeks I’ve been listening to a pair of outdoor speakers, Polk Atrium 55 powered by either a Rotel, Parasound, or Belles. Today I connected them to a Denon AVR 2802 only to realize it will “do” for my backyard system but I miss the above 😟

Enjoy! Tony

Psst: I have Parasounds & a Belles for sale either of which your ‘A7s would love

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Gentlemen, I have recently bought a pair of rti a7, one csi4, one dsw 550 and a pair of rti a3. I have also bought a sr5014 marantz avr. Will this be enough to move the whole set? Do I need amp for the a7s?

That Marantz is a nice AVR. IMO, you do NOT need a separate amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk