Uncomfortable or Unsettling TV Shows

2»

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    daddyjt wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I am going to change gears from TV to Film.
    Prime has a William Dafoe movie called The Lighthouse. One of the grittiest, unsettling movies I have seen in a long time. Its shot in black and white but dont let that dissuade you. This may be Dafoe's masterpiece acting role....enjoy!

I was excited to see this when it came out in theaters, as I’m a huge Defoe fan, and the film got rave reviews. The film is shot in a narrow 4:3 ratio, and is in black and white. These two factors made me feel cramped and unsettled from the get go - a great way to start a horror/thriller. Unfortunately, that’s about as close as it came. I will say that the film is masterfully shot - the textures and contrast in the black and white presentation are rich and well controlled, and the cinematography is outstanding. Shot selection and framing are superb, and perspective is used fluently to communicate with the viewer.

The big miss is the story (or lack thereof). Unfortunately, I most certainly did NOT get it, and I’ll freely admit it. I was so confused, I went on line after, thinking I must have missed something big in the film. Nope. If you read the reviews and comments, it’s clear that no one really “gets it”. I did find a description that sums my own feelings up pretty well:

ga85lcus73il.jpeg

I understand where you are going....I would advise people who haven't seen it ....don't go in looking for your standard Hollywood formula for a story. With all that, everyone has different perspectives on certain movies. Ill stop there before I have to start having to throw out spoiler alerts. Great point about the format setting a tone for the setting of the movie.
    What did you think of Dafoes performance?
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    use to have Teletubbie nightmares.....
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    edited June 2020
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    use to have Teletubbie nightmares.....

Time for Tubbie bye-bye,,,
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Moonshiners is an uncomfortable or unsettling show.

Right? Because no one can be THAT dumb...

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    You'd have to be a moonshiner to get it
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707

So you're a moonshiner?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

or -- perhaps -- a spamshiner?

ux3aenebhwme.png
  • audioluvr
    Jstas wrote: »
    So you're a moonshiner?

Yup
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited June 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

or -- perhaps -- a spamshiner?

ux3aenebhwme.png

LOL Their bucket is in the wrong spot...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I am going to change gears from TV to Film.
    Prime has a William Dafoe movie called The Lighthouse. One of the grittiest, unsettling movies I have seen in a long time. Its shot in black and white but dont let that dissuade you. This may be Dafoe's masterpiece acting role....enjoy!

I was excited to see this when it came out in theaters, as I’m a huge Defoe fan, and the film got rave reviews. The film is shot in a narrow 4:3 ratio, and is in black and white. These two factors made me feel cramped and unsettled from the get go - a great way to start a horror/thriller. Unfortunately, that’s about as close as it came. I will say that the film is masterfully shot - the textures and contrast in the black and white presentation are rich and well controlled, and the cinematography is outstanding. Shot selection and framing are superb, and perspective is used fluently to communicate with the viewer.

The big miss is the story (or lack thereof). Unfortunately, I most certainly did NOT get it, and I’ll freely admit it. I was so confused, I went on line after, thinking I must have missed something big in the film. Nope. If you read the reviews and comments, it’s clear that no one really “gets it”. I did find a description that sums my own feelings up pretty well:

ga85lcus73il.jpeg

I understand where you are going....I would advise people who haven't seen it ....don't go in looking for your standard Hollywood formula for a story. With all that, everyone has different perspectives on certain movies. Ill stop there before I have to start having to throw out spoiler alerts. Great point about the format setting a tone for the setting of the movie.
    What did you think of Dafoes performance?

I completely agree (and enjoy) “non-standard” Hollywood stories - heII, I loved Lost - even the ending!

Defoe’s performance was solid, as was Pattison’s - I just needed more plot (and less foghorn, lol).
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• kevhed72
    Less foghorn.... and more cowbell!!
  • kevhed72
    Here is another one....not sure how 'real life' the story is based on, but interesting in a weird way:
    The Florida Project - filmed in the Orlando area I am assuming. William DaFoe is in this one also.
    Some people will hate this one Im sure but thats OK....
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I watched Uncut Gems last night. More than uncomfortable I'd say it's a very stressful movie. Or...I'm getting old.

Man, I was just coming on to write about this. Having a hard time getting through it. Very intense, yes, very uncomfortable. I'm feeling anxious watching this train wreck.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2020
    I've got to watch it then. I'm not a huge Adam Sandler fan but I've heard it is one of his better movie's
  • NotaSuv
    watching the daily numbers posted for the State of Florida
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited July 2020
    The movie" Love" on Netflix is uncomfortable comfortable :p
    If you want a movie to grab your attention from the get go, just fire this one up.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I find the characters and the bootlegging process interesting. It's a mystery to me how they are on TV and yet not in jail.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • audioluvr
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    watching the daily numbers posted for the State of Florida

Lotto? Same here. Very disturbing!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    The Mrs loves 90-Day finance! Time for me to watch NASA TV on the computer! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • NotaSuv
    verb wrote: »
    The Mrs loves 90-Day finance! Time for me to watch NASA TV on the computer! :)

You will need to take a visit down here to Space City USA besides KSC there is a great space museum to keep busy for hours....fantastic beaches...
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Gonna watch The Old Guard tonight. Might not be disturbing, but Charlize is definitely distracting.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    CSPAN
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kevhed72
    Someone mentioned Uncut Gems with Adam Sandler. As I have disliked everything Sandler has done including SNL. With the recommendation of "unsettling" though I watched it this week. Although a bit over the top, I actually liked it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I started watching Rectify. It's pretty good, but ma'an, is it hard to watch in some parts. Makes you wanna jump into the TV to influence the story.

Some good cinematography and mood, too. If you're into photography, you'll pick up on it easily.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    msg wrote: »

Some good cinematography and mood, too. If you're into photography, you'll pick up on it easily.

Wait, what? There are people who are into photography?

49002264018_6f3cfc0dc7_b.jpgDSC_7467 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    Faux ( fox ) news
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    sandworms wrote: »
    Faux ( fox ) news

Added to my list, bye.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk