39% 17 votes
ONLY IF I COULD SEE SERVICE HISTORY
6% 3 votes
ONLY IF A MECHANIC LOOKED IT OVER FIRST
27% 12 votes

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I don't like either choice. I would buy a used rental.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I voted no way but my answer actually is no way unless the price is way below the market value.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Are you anticipating a “Going Out of Business” sale?
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Just judging from the rental cars I’ve driven, they are generally in good shape with no surprises.

Sure, I’d expect some small dings that weren’t repaired, possible cosmetic issues with the interior from careless use, and maybe even some things like alignment that might need checked, but once my mechanic had a chance to look it over (even if it were after purchase) I’d be happy.

These cars are so recent that it would be hard to really cause any major mechanical damage that isn’t easily repairable, and I assume they do basic maintenance like oil changes on schedule to keep them running.

However, they frequently buy basic trim versions of any car, with boring color choices, and those would never be the ones that I would buy. My last two from the end of 2019 were a Mercedes-Benz and a BMW. They were both white with black vinyl (MB-tex, Sensatec) interiors. They drove perfectly and were nice cars to drive up into the mountains in Colorado, but white vehicles seem so utilitarian to me, and an all black interior is similarly boring.

So while I have no objection, it’s something that’s never going to happen.
    Alea jacta est!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited May 2020
    maxward wrote: »
    Are you anticipating a “Going Out of Business” sale?
    Hoping for one actually...right now the prices are pretty good so I guess it depends what happens in bankruptcy. One of our cars is going with our oldest to college and out 2nd just got his license. I will be working until Im 75!
  • kevhed72
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I voted no way but my answer actually is no way unless the price is way below the market value.
    Curious as to why no way vs. a car off a used lot...my wife is leading this effort so doing a bit of research first...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I said 3, but really 3&4 and it’s priced very competitively and most importantly, it’s just a very reliable model like a Camry or accord. But I always get a car fax and by a reliable model and get it checked out by a mechanic if it’s a private purchase so this is not much different. The main reason I haven’t bought one is because they are usually very basic models, but for my kids? If all the other boxes check then why not?

My youngest will graduate high school when I am 52, so I will also be working till I die 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Curious as to why no way vs. a car off a used lot...my wife is leading this effort so doing a bit of research first...

Because the sayings "Drive it like it's a rental" and "Don't be gentle, it's a rental" are a thing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kevhed72
    yeah....thats what I fear!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Great deals on 2019 Z06’s right now. Saw a 2SS Camaro convertible for under 30k as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    I got my 2012 Dodge Journey from Enterprise car sales with 28K not many problems with the truck and is going to hit 180k soon.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Nothing wrong with buying a rental especially if it's in good shape, low mileage and has a good service history. Most people are careful with rentals as they don't want to pay fees for excessive wear and tear.
    They might go out of business so you might get a really good deal.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Kex
    Just browsed their website for gits & shiggles...

Hertz Sales
    • They seem to offer an option where you can either test drive the vehicle for two hours, or,
    • Rent it at a reduced rate for three days before buying.
    • Also, they offer a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty (I hate warranties, but whatever...).
    • AutoCheck report is free.
    • There’s a 7 day 250 mile buyback assurance (swap or refund, less a $200 cleaning and recertification fee).

Pricing does seem to be around KBB dealer pricing, but that doesn’t mean that you couldn’t find a CPO car from a dealer that would be a year or two older, and cheaper, though probably with more miles. Some of the cars I browsed only had 10K miles.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    mantis wrote: »
    ... Most people are careful with rentals as they don't want to pay fees for excessive wear and tear.
    They might go out of business so you might get a really good deal.
    I definitely drive rentals like there were my own... maybe others do otherwise... 🤔

Hertz have declared bankruptcy, but I very much doubt that they will actually go out of business permanently. They are just going to restructure their debts and obligations etc., but I’d expect them to be fine, longer term.
    Alea jacta est!
  • kevhed72
    She is eyeing one if the following:
    Hyundai Tucson
    Mazda CX 9
    Nissan Pathfinder
    probably a 2019 or 2020...somewhere around 20 to 30k miles and AWD is a must
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I've rented many cars and have seen the beating they take... No way...Find a private owner and get the records...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    My current Murano was purchased from Carmax but was a fleet vehicle in NY for something, so possibly hertz.

It was just as good as my used Jetta purchased from the dealer.

I’d not have too many qualms as by and large they will be taken care of, however as mentioned, you likely won’t get many upgraded options as it’s not cost effective for them to do so.

But as stated, if for a kid. I don’t care if they don’t get heated seats, or leather, etc.

If it’s for ME.... well that’s different :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Hyundai Tucson
    Mazda CX 9
    Nissan Pathfinder

Mazda then Hyundai then Nissan
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I wouldn't, I've seen way to many people beat the crud out of them. Put the cheapest gas in it. Worst off is how many people made love in it? Seriously I had a rental and when I was putting the car seat in it was a what the---- used condom in the thing.

Now if there were a big discount then I'd think about it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Every rental car I used was always mechanically sound, but basic in appearance and functionality. However, the main reason why I wouldn’t buy one is they have automatic transmissions, and I have never owned an automatic. At 70 I am not about to switch to an automatic.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Hyundai Tucson
    Mazda CX 9
    Nissan Pathfinder
    I'd probably grab the Mazda CX-9. Nissan basically sucks now, I'm a very long time Nissan owner and had 5 of them over the decades. From what I have been hearing Nissan is in trouble even before this madness and might go out of business.
    Hyundai has horrible resale value but are pretty nice for the money. Their leases are horrible. Mazda is a pretty solid company with good quality good resale value and fun to drive, all of them actually. Not a bad way to go. You get a lot for you money there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894

Because of this,
    Kex wrote: »

However, they frequently buy basic trim versions of any car, with boring color choices, and those would never be the ones that I would buy.

I believe you could find a much better option on a used car lot. This has to be a pretty good time to buy.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Some good tips here but I'd always be thinking...
    https://youtu.be/8Xde89WiaKs
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Also, along the lines of what Loren said, you never know what kind of music's been played in it. That's worst of all.
    I disabled signatures.
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    Bought a 2016 Pathfinder in 2017 and a 2017 Rogue in 2018 with the Hertz Rent2Buy. Like them both and a good experience both times.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    Well....done! We ended up with a 2019 Hyundai Tuscon with around 34K miles on it. It was a rental we found through a local dealer but the exterior is excellent and interior very good on the Audiogon scale. Also got them to throw in a new set of 50k tires and some other stuff. ALSO, Georgia residents, we finally dumped Metlife for home and auto instance since they suck so bad. If anyone needs a referral to save some cash on apples to apples coverage and not be treated like 💩, drop me a PM....I can give you the name of an actual agent to do a comparison for you. So far we are very happy with our new insurer and agent.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited May 2020
    This needs the USED CARS high prices clip inserted.

https://youtu.be/zqHZWdFVyyQ
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kevhed72
    Dude what movie is that....I don't believe I ever saw it!