Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    edited February 2020
    Funny, my PMP (poor mans pappy) is whatever my third glass is. lol
    I did try Pappy once as part of a flight at The Oak Room in Louisville, after The Derby.
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Anybody working on an infinity bottle? Been working on mine for several months, maybe even close to a year, it's about 1/5 full and due to an unforgivable oversight(ran out of whiskey!) I tried it for the 1st time. Very interesting blend for sure.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2020
    I was able to enter the lotto at Total Wine and this is what I was able to get. Nice add to the collection

h8tkv25ufxxt.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    muncybob wrote: »
    Anybody working on an infinity bottle? Been working on mine for several months, maybe even close to a year, it's about 1/5 full and due to an unforgivable oversight(ran out of whiskey!) I tried it for the 1st time. Very interesting blend for sure.

I have one that I made every time a bottle gets near the end...I think it is special but my sister does not feel the same LOL!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    r3xjo20qqagl.jpg
    csbq8uwwk9ix.jpg
    1gfz6mnguke3.jpg
    ayxaml0neqpi.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    px87pieu9yo8.jpg
    my newest collection
    Ardbeg 10 in the gift bone box :)
    Little Chapter 3 ( Excellent bourbon)
    Aberlour A'bundah!!
    and Ardbeg Drum"

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    tratliff wrote: »
    I was able to enter the lotto at Total Wine and this is what I was able to get. Nice add to the collection

h8tkv25ufxxt.jpeg

congrats, thats awesome.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tratliff
    edited February 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    rbmfm310fpk9.png

Tom,
    Any idea where this shirt can be purchased?

@BlueBirdMusic. Did you find the shirt? I just ran across a link where you can purchase.

https://rebrand.ly/bourbon-noun

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    So I'm back in Louisville again next week. Hopefully I won't get the plague again when I get there and I can try some different stuff.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    OK, so, back from Louisville, nothing new in The Brown Hotel's stocks.

But I was sitting there deciding what to have and ordered a Henry McKenna 10 year. I got a bunch of harrumphing from the "experts" around the bar who apparently know WAY more than the judges at the 2019 World Spirits Competition.

They were all drinking Eagle Rare and pontificating about it. I never had it. So I ordered one neat. It wasn't bad. Didn't knock my socks off either. Don't think it was worth the price or the hype.

It's a solid bourbon, just, for the price and the way everyone raves about it, I was expecting something more refined.

I was underwhelmed.

The Henry McKenna 10 year and the Evan Williams BiB are cheaper and a better overall bourbon. Eagle Rare is a victim of hype. It was $16 a glass. The HM 10Y was $13 a glass. If the Eagle Rare was more like 11-12 a glass, it would be a bargain bourbon punching above it's weight class. At 16 a glass and $45-$65 a bottle, it's a Bose of bourbons.

Try it if you want but there's better on the shelf right next to it for 10-15% less.

• tratliff
    edited March 2020
    I really like Eagle Rare. Seems like they may have been charging to much for it based on hype. In my area it is usually about $10 per drink 2 ounce pour ($30-$33 per bottle) which it is well worth. But I would agree $16 is to much.
  • Jstas
    Well even the bartenders agreed that it's over-hyped and a good buy at the $30-$35 price point. But the demand is so high that the bar manager had to raise prices. They were watching profit margins walk out the door. But all the "experts" who go to The Brown Hotel will pay it because they believe that the bigger the numbers for price and age means it's better no matter what. So they will make every excuse they can to justify buying it. Then they laugh at someone like me who will gladly for over for Elijah Craig 18 in lieu of the 23 because the 18 is just better.

Hell, Henry McKenna when I first found it was $36 a bottle which is a frickin' STEAL for how good it is. Then the local liquor stores found out and it's $45-$50 a bottle now. Still worth the price, IMO, just, you know, word gets around and all you need is one big mouthed jerk with lots of opinions and no brains/experience to back it up to ruin it for the rest of us.

• engtaz

h8tkv25ufxxt.jpeg

Im jealous
    engtaz

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited March 2020
    rbmfm310fpk9.png

Tom,
    Any idea where this shirt can be purchased?

@BlueBirdMusic. Did you find the shirt? I just ran across a link where you can purchase.

https://rebrand.ly/bourbon-noun

tratliff, I just saw the link. Thanks for keeping the "bourbon shirt" in mind.

And no, I did not find a good place to order it, but I have one now. I can't wait to get two for the mischievous young men.

I like the multiple shirt colors the site offers.

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    edited March 2020
    Eagle Rare under $40 is a bargain around here for sure! Now in PA, after the shelves are bare of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare you will have to order online...pay a shipping fee and pick them up at the store. It was bad enough you could only find them in certain stores(the logic of that totally escapes me) but now pay extra $$ to have them available is a bunch of crap. Man, I wish our stores were not State controlled.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tratliff
    muncybob wrote: »
    Eagle Rare under $40 is a bargain around here for sure! Now in PA, after the shelves are bare of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare you will have to order online...pay a shipping fee and pick them up at the store. It was bad enough you could only find them in certain stores(the logic of that totally escapes me) but now pay extra $$ to have them available is a bunch of crap. Man, I wish our stores were not State controlled.

It is a bit rare (no pun intended) around here also. But certain times of year I can find it and stock up for 30'ish dollars each. I was organizing the bourbon cabinet last weekend and I think I have 7 unopened bottles on hand currently. They are my go to presents when the wife or I needs something for someone who enjoys bourbon.
  • tratliff
    I picked this up earlier this week. Its a nice compliment to the Old Rip. Not my picture but one I found.

yjd9miaff6dy.jpg
  • engtaz
    Just remember, drinking Bourbon will not protect you from Covid 19 but it will make you not care. :smiley:
    engtaz

• tratliff
    engtaz wrote: »
    Just remember, drinking Bourbon will not protect you from Covid 19 but it will make you not care. :smiley:

After all the bourbon I might ask: "What is this Covid 19 you speak of?"
  • Jstas
    A drag about COVID-19,our governor basically shut down NU and sparked another round of panic buying. Went to the booze store, was gonna pick up bourbon and him since I'm out.

Only stuff left was junk but dude was bringing out a new case of Woodford Reserve. So at least there's that.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The grocery store by my house has a 10k 750ml bottle of some whiskey, not sure of the brand.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    wulotuftlktk.png

Bottoms up!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    wulotuftlktk.png

Bottoms up!

Tom

That’s for sure. Not sure I’ve gone thru so many bottles in the last year as I have in the last 3 weeks.

I wish we could just get back to what I wished was not normal.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Finally working from home tomorrow (for 1 day), just started on my second 7&7. Not bourbon but smooooth.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • engtaz
    its getting hard to find Buffalo Trace products
    engtaz

• engtaz
    Anyone finding buffalo trace products?
    engtaz

• tratliff
    I picked up 2 BT 750ml and a Weller SR 1.75ml the other day.
  • Jstas
    My local liquor stores are pretty well stocked but mentioned that distributors were having a hard time getting more.

• tratliff
    I have not really been looking lately but stopped in at one I was close to. That was why I pick those 3 up. From what I have heard liquor is flying off the shelf these days.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    Pennsylvania closed all their liquor stores (state-run here) a while ago. They just opened their website up again last week but are overwhelmed by orders so it’s always down. From what I’ve read, it’s open for about half an hour each day before they close it down again.

Anyway, the weather was nice for a drive today, so the girlfriend and I went right over the border into Ohio (privately owned stores) to check out one of the good stores there. They were very busy and doing curbside service only. The employees were doing a great job moving cars in and out. I imagine their sales are through the roof. The selection was rather limited as a result of the current circumstances.

I hope things are back to normal soon, but for now I’m sipping on some Elijah Craig I picked up. Also got some amaro nonino for cocktails. Unfortunately, they were out of the Elijah Craig single barrel, which is amazing. I highly recommend the single barrel to any bourbon fan who has not tried it!