Dragged kicking and screaming

2»

Comments

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 4,094
    the point of the thread, I'm a silver disc spinner :D
    I can do a search and find music, but the other fine details of playlists and favorites, I don't know.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 728
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the point of the thread, I'm a silver disc spinner :D
    I can do a search and find music, but the other fine details of playlists and favorites, I don't know.
    That's probably the biggest drawback to streaming. If you want a specific edition or mastering, you're often SOL. They've got whatever version they have. Sometimes they'll specify a deluxe edition or the year of a master, but finding the details, searching by label, or some other details just aren't there.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    what's the difference between a deluxe version and master?
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    marvda1 wrote: »
    what's the difference between a deluxe version and master?
    Deluxe would be something released by the artist/label. It usual has a new master, a few bonus tracks, sometimes alternate artwork. At least one of those things, sometimes all of those things.
    You'll see a lot of classic rock bands do this. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin immediately come to mind.
    r26529b5yx7k.jpg
    1ccjyscjflsn.jpg

Master is ultimately Tidal's marketing branded term for MQA. It's technically a larger file (96/24) that undergoes the MQA compression format using "folds."
    I don't have a strong opinion on MQA vs CD quality (44.1/16) currently, but some people feel very strongly about it in both directions. I think you'll be able to compare actual CD vs Tidal CD quality vs Tidal MQA. It'll keep you busy, lol.
    I think most people that do this end up still just slightly preferring the CD, but it's usually nitpicking and they also like the convenience of streaming.

Discogs
    I also should have mentioned that the hardest part of doing CD vs Tidal comparisons is finding the same mastering. I think sticking to albums that only had one release is best. So usually new stuff or lesser known stuff.
    Discogs
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,976
    Music Nirvana:
    • Roon
    • Tidal Hifi
    • Qobuz
    • Old CD (and some vinyl) collection ripped
    I haven't bought an album since going to Roon & Tidal, other than the occasional box set or rarity. Breakeven on all three services was very quick for me. And I've never enjoyed music so much.
    Den: Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Adcom GFP-750 * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * ProJect Stream Box Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: Roon * LG v30 phone * Dared MP-5 * DefTech SM45
    Beach: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * Schiit Yggdrasil * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Sonore microRendu * Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 8,565
    Marvin get the Lumin U1 Mini going ASAP. Dramatic jump in quality with Tidal through the Lumin.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 7,425
    I wonder if these "free" promotions are about getting new customers or getting people who forget to cancel.
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I’m thinking you’ve reached the point where people are afraid to open your posts.

I disabled, I am the South Carolina woman who gouged her eyes out on meth.
    both, if they get some that forget by the time they notice the charge on their credit card and then try to cancel, they probably end up paying for 2 months.

I had this happen to me once on a free 30 day sample of a supplement. they asked for a credit card to pay for the handling, nowhere did they mention that they would start shipping a bottle a month charging $70.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I wonder if these "free" promotions are about getting new customers or getting people who forget to cancel.
    A customer that forgets to cancel is the best kind of customer around. It's not the company's fault people can't keep track of their money or calendars.

It's only when they hide fees or cancellation penalties in the fine print that I feel like a company is being dastardly.
    Discogs