Dragged kicking and screaming

2»

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    the point of the thread, I'm a silver disc spinner :D
    I can do a search and find music, but the other fine details of playlists and favorites, I don't know.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the point of the thread, I'm a silver disc spinner :D
    I can do a search and find music, but the other fine details of playlists and favorites, I don't know.
    That's probably the biggest drawback to streaming. If you want a specific edition or mastering, you're often SOL. They've got whatever version they have. Sometimes they'll specify a deluxe edition or the year of a master, but finding the details, searching by label, or some other details just aren't there.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    what's the difference between a deluxe version and master?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    marvda1 wrote: »
    what's the difference between a deluxe version and master?
    Deluxe would be something released by the artist/label. It usual has a new master, a few bonus tracks, sometimes alternate artwork. At least one of those things, sometimes all of those things.
    You'll see a lot of classic rock bands do this. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin immediately come to mind.
    r26529b5yx7k.jpg
    1ccjyscjflsn.jpg

Master is ultimately Tidal's marketing branded term for MQA. It's technically a larger file (96/24) that undergoes the MQA compression format using "folds."
    I don't have a strong opinion on MQA vs CD quality (44.1/16) currently, but some people feel very strongly about it in both directions. I think you'll be able to compare actual CD vs Tidal CD quality vs Tidal MQA. It'll keep you busy, lol.
    I think most people that do this end up still just slightly preferring the CD, but it's usually nitpicking and they also like the convenience of streaming.

Discogs
  • displayname
    I also should have mentioned that the hardest part of doing CD vs Tidal comparisons is finding the same mastering. I think sticking to albums that only had one release is best. So usually new stuff or lesser known stuff.
    Discogs
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Music Nirvana:
    • Roon
    • Tidal Hifi
    • Qobuz
    • Old CD (and some vinyl) collection ripped
    I haven't bought an album since going to Roon & Tidal, other than the occasional box set or rarity. Breakeven on all three services was very quick for me. And I've never enjoyed music so much.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Marvin get the Lumin U1 Mini going ASAP. Dramatic jump in quality with Tidal through the Lumin.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I wonder if these "free" promotions are about getting new customers or getting people who forget to cancel.
  • marvda1
    both, if they get some that forget by the time they notice the charge on their credit card and then try to cancel, they probably end up paying for 2 months.

I had this happen to me once on a free 30 day sample of a supplement. they asked for a credit card to pay for the handling, nowhere did they mention that they would start shipping a bottle a month charging $70.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I wonder if these "free" promotions are about getting new customers or getting people who forget to cancel.
    A customer that forgets to cancel is the best kind of customer around. It's not the company's fault people can't keep track of their money or calendars.

It's only when they hide fees or cancellation penalties in the fine print that I feel like a company is being dastardly.
    Discogs