How many are working or not?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
I got laid off last week and I think it's going to last at least all through April and probably May. Today was my first week no paycheck and that feels pretty strange.
I have not collected unemployment since 2008 and that was only due to Tweeter went out of business. I only collected 1 week as I got a new job at Audiolab Right away.
We live in some strange times right now. Scary.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I have not stopped working. Since construction was deemed “essential” in Mass, the bank/lenders don't care about us and want their money back.

If the unions get their way and shut down all construction, I may get laid off for the first time.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    edited April 2020
    Options
    We're still working for now. In IT with most clients converting to work remotely, so there's still need for now. We're dependent on their businesses continuing. If their businesses slow or shut down we'll be hit, so the effect is buffered for the moment.

What's the story on unemployment benefits through this? I thought I heard a couple of weeks ago there was some adjustment to amount and length of time?

Hang in there, Dan, and any others affected. In spite of the news I keep hoping for a positive overall development in this mess.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2020
    Options
    One of my largest customers here in central Ohio is one of the largest builder of apartments. They are ramping up building in expectation. of people losing their homes.
    Money is cheap right now if you are a borrower, so it is a good gamble.

Should be job security for me.

Although it is unfortunate, ones man's misfortune can be another man's fortune.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Still working and will continue to do so.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I am still working mostly from home doing tech support but will have to travel soon. I work for a biotech company and the equipment we have can be use for COVID-19 testing so we have labs asking for new systems.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I work in IT as well. I’m working MORE as my entire company (100k plus) have moved to work from home. Not complainInfusion at all as it’s a good problem to have considering.

Lots of things we were not ready for that are keeping me hopping.

Entire company is under orders of work from home if it’s possible until a min of May 4th, with a VERY SMALL group of people going into offices but only if it’s necessary, but we are talking a few per location.

I have many friends that are being laid off or furloughed and my thoughts are with you all.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Still working as well.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I’m in education, so I had to frantically convert my courses to online. So far it’s not been bad. My wife and I both work for the same university, and she is an upper level admin. We are private and will take a huge financial hit, but both of our jobs are secure unless the whole school collapses. I will probably teach an online course in the summer for the first time as we try to increase summer enrollment to make up for lost revenue...

Bigger issue for me is homeschooling four elementary aged children while trying to teach and write. That part is not so good 😂

I am very sorry for those out of work. We are trying to do what we can to support local businesses...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I was laid off for the winter before this happened. I got the call a couple days ago to go back in 2 or 3 weeks which is the normal start up time. Wife's job is considered "essential" so she's working to.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I am working from home and busier than normal. I am in IT and work for a marketing agency. We build journeys/communications for fortune 1000 companies. Many of these communications, virus related, from companies you are receiving lately are designed and built by agencies like the one I work for.

Currently we are not seeing a slow down. But the longer it takes to get back to normal the more we will start to feel the pinch.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Being in a “non-essential” part of medical, I was furloughed two weeks ago.

The practice I work with anticipates starting to re-open May 4th, for now.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Laid off from oil and gas in mid-February. The industry was rough around here already, decreased energy demand because of coronavirus contributed to making it worse. No jobs to be had in oil and gas here right now. Courthouses are probably closed anyway.

Want to start a new career in real estate, was on the beginning steps of that before the **** hit the fan. Looking forward to starting that when this blows over. Taking some online courses in the meantime. Good luck to everyone! Happy to see a lot of you still have work.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    I'm still working (sales rep), mostly electronic, no face to face, with no touch delivery. My spouse is still working food service, so we are blessed to still have income. For now.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    Options
    Another IT guy here. I work for a large retailer, and like most of us I'm working from home. We've had to close about two thirds of our stores. I still have things to do, but am getting nervous.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    The Mrs and I have been working from home for 2 weeks now. Last week all salaried employees were notified that we're getting a 20% pay reduction, and others 30% or more.

Deferred payment they call it. After this crisis, we are to be repaid that amount, plus interest.

I'm just grateful to still be working, as the automotive industry has also taken a bit hit. Hope this doesn't last long, and the pent up demand for new cars/trucks will bring the market back!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I am still working for less than two months until I retire. Thank God I don't need the money that I lost in the stock market, it's like I never had it anyway. I am deemed essential and if this goes on much longer they may pull a "stop loss" on me. Since I am underage I have to have "permission" to retire. I never imagined a situation where they would revoke that but who the hell ever saw anything like this?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Still working but from home. Business is considered essential for the food chain.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Me - still working F/T, since I am with DHS, considered essential even though the Govt facility I work at is empty right now. I also own a comm/res cleaning service, lost a couple of small accounts (for now?) but the big ones are still open, so minimal loss of income so far.

Wife - works in our school district, and is basically done until September but her salary is guaranteed through June so that's huge, as we rely on her for medical.

Still, I hope this recovery starts soon, there are a lot of people nervous about the future, and I don't blame them. Scary times we're living in.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Still working. Have seven appraisals in the stack. Only one is an exterior, all others required interior inspections. Have been to five already. Need to view the other two later next week. I turn down maybe 30 orders a week. Other appraisers have refused to do any interior appraisals until things settle more. Some of these appraisals require 15-25+ hours of work, not counting the driving and inspection time. An average appraisal for a single family dwelling with all the required forms, photos, addendums, narrative etc. can be 40-50 pages or more.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    On May 1 I will be retired for one year. Other than having to stay home, and not associating, life is basically the same. I will be glad when this is over.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    My wife is working in the medical research field and still goes into work. I've been out of work for 10+ years now. I was thinking of maybe going back to work somewhere and this *&6% happens.

I saw some people advertising stuff for sale more and more. I guess to raise money. So I'm organizing my "collection" and thought...I feel pretty good, so lets start the selling again, so I did.

I listed my first speaker ad last night. Got one LOW baller and a nibble already. Not too bad for my first speaker ad in 3 years or more.

Now the interaction between buyer and seller will be strange! :o
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I'm working. I do IT for a Uni/medical institution in Baltimore.
    I've been busy.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Not working.

That's what Ryan said :D:D:D ....you threw a little insulation on your shoe's and called it helping >:)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    on a 4 week furlough, they only had a skeleton crew working. but after sales took a dive.. I heard the working crew only work 1 week and the rest got sent home..talk thru the grapevine and can't prove this..

some of use are taking a full 8 weeks off.. my 4 weeks may become 8..who knows..
    I'm suppose to report back April 20th..well see what happens then!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    on a 4 week furlough, they only had a skeleton crew working. but after sales took a dive.. I heard the working crew only work 1 week and the rest got sent home..talk thru the grapevine and can't prove this..

some of use are taking a full 8 weeks off.. my 4 weeks may become 8..who knows..
    I'm suppose to report back April 20th..well see what happens then!

Good luck pal....but I also know you usually work crazy long shifts/weeks at a time with hardly a break

You've got my # if you wanna chat...hopefully we all get to meet up at LSAF
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Wife and I are 100% teleworking until further notice.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Wife handed in her resignation last night. Residents that don't respect the 6' rule, facility won't quarantine the residents, not enough staff members on duty and last but not least; no ppe so no workee. I dunno if she'll be able to collect but we both value our safety over a few $$.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Wife and I are working from home around the clock. 6-2 I do what brings in the money. From 2-4 it's being a teacher for our kids. Mandatory 1 HR of school work a day is what they require. From 12-am to 11:59:59 pm being a father.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I lost one of my jobs and the other has seen hours cut but I'm still working.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk