Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    In that last photo, if you zoom into where the cranes are you can see the SpaceX ships with thier giant nets open, they catch the rocket payload fairings. Zoom in a bit more through the legs of the cranes and you can see a 5th cruise ship sitting there.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Thanks man. My birthday isn't until the end of next month but I appreciate it. We are still deciding whether or not we will take another cruise next year. We may just take the money back instead of possibly losing it altogether if they fold.

They did offer us a 125% credit good for a year and a half but during spring break next year, that ship is not going to be in service (or it is going to another set of destinations, I forgot which it was).

This has got to be devastating for so many people in that (and other) industries. Sad.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Think about this. Now that we have shut the world down because of a single strain of virus. What's stopping us from doing it again. And again. And again. And again...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ha! Love it!

3ur1rnt4l9bv.png

Tom

Bad news for our local squirrels;

My neighbor pointed out a pr. of med. size hawks hanging out in a tree across the street and down one yard. We didn't know they were here to stay...

Turns out, the neighbor whose tree they were sitting in, spotted them mating in a tree on the other side of the neighbor who spotted them first. We watched them sitting in that tree for 1/2 an hour the other day. Yep, there's a good size nest about 3 houses down from me and across the street. I also saw one of them other day flying over my neighbor's house. :)

Well I was in the back of my cottage getting ready to cut a board and heard a weird loud chirping. It was CLOSE and above me. It was one of those hawks sitting high up overlooking this field where tons of squirrels play. We haven't seen many squirrels hopping around lately and I know why now. There was dead silence from all birds. If it's silent, maybe a hawk is sitting somewhere.

Most of the time, black birds and blue jays squawk continuously until a Hawk leaves the neighborhood.

My wife saw some squirrels this afternoon and fed 4 by hand. I have a bad feeling now...

Goodbye squirrels! :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Think about this. Now that we have shut the world down because of a single strain of virus. What's stopping us from doing it again. And again. And again. And again...

If another virus is this fast a killer too, I'll bet the same scenario will be activated to slow it down if possible.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Hawk on the Bluebird house. Looking at chipmunks below. This was taken last spring.

Tony, I have watched many hawks in my backyard and in the country, and I have never seen one actually grab a squirrel.

A few years ago, a "mom" with her two young birds observing tried to grab a squirrel high up in a pine tree in the backyard, and the squirrel always alluded her.

I had two pet Peking ducks in the backyard and the largest hawk I have ever seen killed the male duck which was very large too. My cats alerted me at a window what was happening.

tizhllibi64w.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2020
    I wish we had more chipmunk predators here -- heck,I wish we had more whistlepig predators! :p

This guy (or lady, who knows?) got a little meta with the idea of the bird feeder. :)
    (photo from summer of 2016)

28544280293_fa69156c6b_b.jpgDSC_5457a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have a gazillion chipmunks myself. Holes and tunnels everywhere. Maybe I should get some outside cats, they'll kill the little bastages won't they ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Speaking of wildlife. We have lived in our home for 6 years. Not once have we seen a wild turkey. My son comes running into the office all excited and says there is a turkey in the backyard.

0wle4liwwqnu.png

Sure as heck, there was one. Sorry about the grainy pic, it was way off in the distance. Cool, regardless.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    edited March 2020
    Cats LOVE catching moles. Our neighbor's cat would catch them and flip them into the air while playing with them. The cat would leave the dead moles for their owners on the back steps of their house as gifts. :D

A Hawk pins a Squirrel.

Driving down a street just around the corner from our home years ago, A BIG Redtail Hawk swooped down 60' or less in front of us and nailed a squirrel at the base of a barricade fence. One wing on the ground, the other going up the fence. The Hawk stayed in that position for a minute or more and then I had to move along. I don't remember seeing it fly away with the squirrel.
    I think that's how it went down. .

I stopped my car and was watching this scene as my wife saw it too but she started screaming to move the car!

I saw in my mirror no car was approaching so I stayed put and watched. My wife was FREEKING out somebody would rear-end us. Speed limit is 25mph and there was plenty of road for somebody to see I had stopped. I flash my brake lights to get people's attention once in a while to alert them to something strange.` I was ready to do the same but I didn't have too. I saw enough.

Then a car did come around the corner behind me and me moving along sure made my wife calm down! :D
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2020
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have a gazillion chipmunks myself. Holes and tunnels everywhere. Maybe I should get some outside cats, they'll kill the little bastages won't they ?

as do we. :(
    I hates them little racing-stipe-decorated b@$tards. :|

I am trying an experiment this year. I chucked a coupla mothballs down every chipmunk (and woodchuck) hole I've found this spring. Mice don't like 'em (mothballs/napthalene, that is). Mice are rodents and so are chipmunks and whistlepigs, so I am hopin' the transitive property applies! ;)

• tonyb
    Cool, let me know if you have success. Mothballs huh....hope they won't make my yard smell like my grandparents.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    What'chu guyzes got against chipmunks? Day didn't do Nuffin'!

Tom
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it is summer in Australia, and it doesn’t seem to have affected the virus.

Or Africa.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Solid metal particles at appropriate velocities have been known to work wonders.

I have explored that avenue with the farking groundhogs -- but I am not a great shot and/or they're surprisingly maneuverable. ;)

I did bludgeon one into the next world with a shovel last summer, though -- not especially proud of that, but so be it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it is summer in Australia, and it doesn’t seem to have affected the virus.

Or Africa.

We will have to see what happens as parts of the southern hemisphere go into flu season
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb

Tom

They dig tunnels under my brick pavers. Tunnel eventually collapses and pavers sink. Fill it in, reset pavers, they dig another tunnel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    tonyb wrote: »

Tom

They dig tunnels under my brick pavers. Tunnel eventually collapses and pavers sink. Fill it in, reset pavers, they dig another tunnel.

We call that job security
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Hmmm, I had them all around the house when I lived in Northern Virginia. We loved 'em but didn't have any pavers, admitted. I guess YMMV. I always thought they were cute little things.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    They turn yards into models of Swiss cheese.

They love loose stonework (e.g., dry stone walls -- which are legion in New England).

I hates 'em to pieces. Little blighters.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Cats love chipmunks tonyb.

Tony M, I have several feral cats that I feed in an area of my garage. This morning one of the cats left a dead mole for me at the edge of the old piece of carpet where the food dishes are.

tonyb, I see the feral cats in the early morning just waiting for the chipmunks to appear. The cats like to roll over the entrances to the tunnels.

Mark, I grew up on 50 acres of land west of Atlanta. As a kid, I did hunt some. Once I killed my first rabbit, I gave up hunting I felt so bad.

Tom, you sound like me, now. I have learned to live with the wildlife and try to enjoy all. I can't remember if I told you at Joe Coulson's meet, my BlueBirdMusic is derived from my love of bluebirds that I developed as a kid from my father.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    h63iojk8bk08.jpg

Looks like something I'd do... :#