Legend L800 - The ultimate comparison

Hi All! Stu Lumsden here. Retired but not refrained.

This message is just to inform the faithful that I am taking a set of L800s down to the 2020 Ground Up Music Festival hosted by Snarky Puppy GUM artists. I will be playing the speaker for artists and recording engineers using their own recordings. It's the ultimate 1<>1 comparison. I'll be asking artists "Do the L800s render your music as you hoped/intended people to hear it?" Only the artist/producer/engineers can answer this question regardless of how "real" we think it sounds - because we were not there in the studio when they said IT'S DONE!

This aught to be fun - Will be running Marantz PM KI Ruby amp and SA-10 Disc player. I'll be stealing time with Michael League, other Puppies, GUM artists and engineers between shows.
Stu

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Very cool! Looking forward to hearing their impressions.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Sounds like fun indeed.
    Will you be able to report back to the class (i.e., us!) on the outcome(s)?
    Maybe a YT video? :)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yes that sounds awesome! Glad to hear you’re still rocking and rolling Stu!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Atta boy, Stu! BTW, welcome to the forum and a big shout out to you and your contributions to Polk!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • I cannot wait to read what happens!!! B):)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    This is TOO B) !! Love this and I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say :smiley:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That should be interesting.....fun too.

Oh yeah, Hi Stu.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited February 2020
    Hi Stu,

Looking forward to the results.

L800 owner here. Any reason not to use the Marantz PM-10 and SA-10? I’m an owner of the combo as well and the reason I have fallen back in love with my LSiM 707s.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Should be interesting.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Welcome to the forum Stu !
    Looking forward to the results ...... please don’t be a teaser and post the results !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Good to see you posting Stu! Welcome aboard and THANK YOU for all you have done for the Polk brand over the years.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Looking forward to your comments and thoughts.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Hey Stu. SP played a convention in TN where I was subbing with a famous guitar player about 5 years ago and the puppy were amazing players. Looking forward to especially their impressions and if they remove the ear plugs before listening. 😂😂🎩 thanks and I have the speakers on my radar as well.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • I have a T+A PA3000HV running a pair of 705's - been thinking about upgrading to the L800's and thoughts on performance?
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Stu will you guys be at Axpona?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    josephp732 wrote: »
    I have a T+A PA3000HV running a pair of 705's - been thinking about upgrading to the L800's and thoughts on performance?
    If I had a T+A PA3000HV I would likely be looking higher up stream than the L800s.

But if you just wanted to give the L800s a spin, the T+A would be a well suited anchor of that system. I would imagine it wouldn't have any issues pumping all the details your system has to offer while letting the L800s showcase it's power and bass speed.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    The better the gear the better the L800’s should sound, plus they are SDA’s
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    dromunds wrote: »

For the SDA part they sound best as long as your power amplifiers are not balanced differential.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • benbvan
    benbvan Posts: 20
    mpitogo wrote: »

For the SDA part they sound best as long as your power amplifiers are not balanced differential.

Why dont you want a fully differential amp?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    benbvan wrote: »
    mpitogo wrote: »

Why dont you want a fully differential amp?

Because the topography doesn't work with the way SDA does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 2020
    This was posted in another thread.

https://youtu.be/Tonj3PhnCfw
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks John for posting that. I now have a better knowledge of a differential amp!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • benbvan
    benbvan Posts: 20
    edited March 2020

Yes thank you, that makes sense then. So fully differential balanced amps don't work with SDA tech.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Not with L800 SDA tech !...

Yes thank you, that makes sense then. So fully differential balanced amps don't work with SDA tech.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474

Not completely true. Pin/blade, NOT pin/pin, are compatible IF you use a dreadnaught. I have the BHK-250 Paul is leaning on in the video and I use a dreadnaught to drive SDA-SRS 1.2tl's. Fabulous combo and I've never heard a better SDA setup in 30 years. As ptroopers states, the new L800's XO design is not compatible and there is no known method/device (i.e. dreadnaught) to overcome this.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2020
    Differential Balanced is different than monoblocks and common grounding. I am not certain a Dreadnaught is going to be the answer for that type of amp. The best solution is to avoid them if using SDA.

• JayCee
    edited March 2020
    Differential Balanced is different than monoblocks and common grounding. I am not certain a Dreadnaught is going to be the answer for that type of amp. The best solution is to avoid them if using SDA.

Do you mean the BHK-250? If so, there's no problem with it. I've had the 250 for over a year and never an issue.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohn
    If it is working with your SDA 1.2TL's that's cool. I run mono amps with mine. What I am mostly concerned about is the correct information being out there for the L800. They are proving themselves to be quite the finnicky speaker...

• JayCee
    edited March 2020
    Copy. I did check w/PSA's engineering dept before my purchase as it was my initial concern. Being this is an L800 thread, my intention was not to bring in the previous line, rather, replying to his generic comment regarding "SDA" and not specifically L800. For anyone reading this...always best to check w/your amp manufacturer if in doubt.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    What ever happened with this event?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.