Legend L800 - The ultimate comparison

Hi All! Stu Lumsden here. Retired but not refrained.

This message is just to inform the faithful that I am taking a set of L800s down to the 2020 Ground Up Music Festival hosted by Snarky Puppy GUM artists. I will be playing the speaker for artists and recording engineers using their own recordings. It's the ultimate 1<>1 comparison. I'll be asking artists "Do the L800s render your music as you hoped/intended people to hear it?" Only the artist/producer/engineers can answer this question regardless of how "real" we think it sounds - because we were not there in the studio when they said IT'S DONE!

This aught to be fun - Will be running Marantz PM KI Ruby amp and SA-10 Disc player. I'll be stealing time with Michael League, other Puppies, GUM artists and engineers between shows.
Stu

Comments

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 5,094
    Very cool! Looking forward to hearing their impressions.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,814
    Sounds like fun indeed.
    Will you be able to report back to the class (i.e., us!) on the outcome(s)?
    Maybe a YT video? :)
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,590
    Yes that sounds awesome! Glad to hear you’re still rocking and rolling Stu!
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Martin Logan Grotto sub; Musical Fidelity A308; Cambridge Azur 851N
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45; ACI Titan Subwoofer; Squeezebox Touch
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    Atta boy, Stu! BTW, welcome to the forum and a big shout out to you and your contributions to Polk!

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,881
    I cannot wait to read what happens!!! B):)
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,820
    That should be interesting.....fun too.

Oh yeah, Hi Stu.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mpitogompitogo Posts: 446
    edited February 7
    Hi Stu,

Looking forward to the results.

L800 owner here. Any reason not to use the Marantz PM-10 and SA-10? I’m an owner of the combo as well and the reason I have fallen back in love with my LSiM 707s.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Marantz HD-CD1 | Denafrips Aries II | Amazon Music Ultra HD via iPad Pro
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2 (Atmos) Polk LSiM 707, 706c, Dual DSW microPRO 3000, LSiM 702 F/X [x4], RC65i | Marantz SR7009 | Marantz PM-10 [FL/FR] | Marantz SA-10 | Sony UBP-X800 4K | Xbox One S 4K | AppleTV 4K | HTPC | Sony 75” XBR X850D 4K
    Office Home Theater-5.1 Polk RT55, CS400, PSW450, f/x 500 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | AppleTV | Samsung 55”
    Office Music-2.0 KEF Q100 | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080
    Office Music 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Topping DX7s (BAL out) | PASS ACA (kit) Class A balanced monoblocks
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Rotel RA-1570
    Patio Music-2.0 Polk Atrium8 | AMC 2445 bridged
    Airplay zones: Family Room (HDMI), Family Room SA-10 (optical), Master Bedroom (Optical), Office (HDMI), Office DX7s (optical), Living Room Ares (Optical), SR7009 (AVR direct) and Patio (analog). Apple Music multi-stream to any, combo or all.
    Spares: Polk LSi25, LSiC, CS300, 4pr T15, Martin Logan Motion 40, 50xt, Dynamo 500, Rotel RB-1590, Denon AVR-4802R, Onkyo DX-C540, DVP-S500D, PS HX-500,
    Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,738
    Should be interesting.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • gyosagyosa Posts: 407
    Welcome to the forum Stu !
    Looking forward to the results ...... please don’t be a teaser and post the results !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Cambridge Audio 851n , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED , Onkyo TX-RZ610 - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,782
    Good to see you posting Stu! Welcome aboard and THANK YOU for all you have done for the Polk brand over the years.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,385
    Looking forward to your comments and thoughts.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,996
    Hey Stu. SP played a convention in TN where I was subbing with a famous guitar player about 5 years ago and the puppy were amazing players. Looking forward to especially their impressions and if they remove the ear plugs before listening. 😂😂🎩 thanks and I have the speakers on my radar as well.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • I have a T+A PA3000HV running a pair of 705's - been thinking about upgrading to the L800's and thoughts on performance?
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,524
    Stu will you guys be at Axpona?
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)
  • josephp732 wrote: »
    I have a T+A PA3000HV running a pair of 705's - been thinking about upgrading to the L800's and thoughts on performance?
    If I had a T+A PA3000HV I would likely be looking higher up stream than the L800s.

But if you just wanted to give the L800s a spin, the T+A would be a well suited anchor of that system. I would imagine it wouldn't have any issues pumping all the details your system has to offer while letting the L800s showcase it's power and bass speed.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Usher T-515 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,864
    The better the gear the better the L800’s should sound, plus they are SDA’s
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 446
    dromunds wrote: »

For the SDA part they sound best as long as your power amplifiers are not balanced differential.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Marantz HD-CD1 | Denafrips Aries II | Amazon Music Ultra HD via iPad Pro
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2 (Atmos) Polk LSiM 707, 706c, Dual DSW microPRO 3000, LSiM 702 F/X [x4], RC65i | Marantz SR7009 | Marantz PM-10 [FL/FR] | Marantz SA-10 | Sony UBP-X800 4K | Xbox One S 4K | AppleTV 4K | HTPC | Sony 75” XBR X850D 4K
    Office Home Theater-5.1 Polk RT55, CS400, PSW450, f/x 500 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | AppleTV | Samsung 55”
    Office Music-2.0 KEF Q100 | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080
    Office Music 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Topping DX7s (BAL out) | PASS ACA (kit) Class A balanced monoblocks
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Rotel RA-1570
    Patio Music-2.0 Polk Atrium8 | AMC 2445 bridged
    Airplay zones: Family Room (HDMI), Family Room SA-10 (optical), Master Bedroom (Optical), Office (HDMI), Office DX7s (optical), Living Room Ares (Optical), SR7009 (AVR direct) and Patio (analog). Apple Music multi-stream to any, combo or all.
    Spares: Polk LSi25, LSiC, CS300, 4pr T15, Martin Logan Motion 40, 50xt, Dynamo 500, Rotel RB-1590, Denon AVR-4802R, Onkyo DX-C540, DVP-S500D, PS HX-500,
    Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • benbvanbenbvan Posts: 14
    mpitogo wrote: »

For the SDA part they sound best as long as your power amplifiers are not balanced differential.

Why dont you want a fully differential amp?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,820
    benbvan wrote: »
    mpitogo wrote: »

Why dont you want a fully differential amp?

Because the topography doesn't work with the way SDA does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

edited March 25
    This was posted in another thread.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • verbverb Posts: 10,203
    Thanks John for posting that. I now have a better knowledge of a differential amp!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • benbvanbenbvan Posts: 14
    edited March 26

Yes thank you, that makes sense then. So fully differential balanced amps don't work with SDA tech.
  • ptrooperptrooper Posts: 408
    Not with L800 SDA tech !...

Yes thank you, that makes sense then. So fully differential balanced amps don't work with SDA tech.

• JayCeeJayCee Posts: 853

Not completely true. Pin/blade, NOT pin/pin, are compatible IF you use a dreadnaught. I have the BHK-250 Paul is leaning on in the video and I use a dreadnaught to drive SDA-SRS 1.2tl's. Fabulous combo and I've never heard a better SDA setup in 30 years. As ptroopers states, the new L800's XO design is not compatible and there is no known method/device (i.e. dreadnaught) to overcome this.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies Deep Core, EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
    edited March 27
    Differential Balanced is different than monoblocks and common grounding. I am not certain a Dreadnaught is going to be the answer for that type of amp. The best solution is to avoid them if using SDA.

edited March 27
    Differential Balanced is different than monoblocks and common grounding. I am not certain a Dreadnaught is going to be the answer for that type of amp. The best solution is to avoid them if using SDA.

Do you mean the BHK-250? If so, there's no problem with it. I've had the 250 for over a year and never an issue.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies Deep Core, EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
    If it is working with your SDA 1.2TL's that's cool. I run mono amps with mine. What I am mostly concerned about is the correct information being out there for the L800. They are proving themselves to be quite the finnicky speaker...

edited March 27
    Copy. I did check w/PSA's engineering dept before my purchase as it was my initial concern. Being this is an L800 thread, my intention was not to bring in the previous line, rather, replying to his generic comment regarding "SDA" and not specifically L800. For anyone reading this...always best to check w/your amp manufacturer if in doubt.
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,524
    What ever happened with this event?
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)