Audio Blunders

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
The purpose of this thread is to share any blunders you may have made along your audio journey, not necessarily your fault, but anything you would consider a failure, of sorts.

I know of or have read of a few that deserve to be rightly installed into this hall of fame (ahem), for all to see and learn from. And hopefully laugh too! We all need it during these historic times!

I'll start.

My first foray into tubes. As any newbie, wanting to get into the game, went to Monoprice and snagged one of those hybrid "tube" amps. A whole thread on that somewhere here, I'll have to find it and link to it.

All excited, plugged it in, turned it on, and POOF! And loud snap and the familiar smell of electrical components burning, and smoke. Off to a great start! :smile:
mqivh5f7lwtd.png
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• verb
    Original thread. Eventually karma'd that bad boy! :smile:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181379/karma-monoprice-fabulousness/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Good to see that is still in a good home! :smile:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Shut up Trey.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    And I thought I was the only one! :smile:
  • verb
    So my VTL 2.5 tube pre. After the monoprice, I got the VTL. I absolutely loved it, first real tube pre, was blown away.

Then one day it starting acting a bit wonky. Take a long time to warm up, would cut out intermittently, let's see, I have a thread on that somewhere :smile:

Got all kinds of good trouble shooting advice, was convinced it was a bad relay switch, took it to a local repair shop cause I did not dare re-solder a new one in.

Turns out it was just a bad tube! The shop swapped in some good tubes, and loved playing it for the week before I picked it up. 50 bucks later, lessons learned! :smile:
  • verb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Shut up Trey.

Tom

Do tell Tom! :smile:
  • treitz3
    Can't say a thing. Didn't see noffin'. There is no proof. Didn't do it.

I don't even know what you are talkin'bout. In fact, I have no idea what I'm talkin'bout. It's all good. Have a great evening!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb

I don't even know what you are talkin'bout. In fact, I have no idea what I'm talkin'bout. It's all good. Have a great evening!

Tom

Lol! I have this mental image of sumthin happening! I think there is a pic somewhere in the CP ether! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited March 2020
    Slammed the door into my mint condition Rotel RCD-1072's ejected CD tray. :disappointed:
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Slammed the door into my mint condition Rotel RCD-1072's ejected CD tray. :disappointed:

Wait! Is that the one you sold to me? :smile:
  • treitz3
    Well, truth be told....

I used to change CDP's like this. Once they started skipping? I would punch them so hard that I would have to replace them. Some, going through the cabinet(s) that I had at the time. I used to consider this an excuse....

Until this one Sony CDP. It took me many, many CDP's past that one to get back or equal what that one did.

DOH!

Tom
  • Clipdat
    verb wrote: »
    Wait! Is that the one you sold to me? :smile:

Yep! You knew this! :D
  • verb
    Of course I did! Works great! Sounds great! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Yeah. Fortunately the only ill-effect was that the drive's action got a little louder and slower while going in and out. The important thing is that it still plays and sounds quite good!
  • treitz3
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah. Fortunately the only ill-effect was that the drive's action got a little louder and slower while going in and out. The important thing is that it still plays and sounds quite good!

You ARE still talking about audio, correct?

Tom
  • Clipdat
    But you have the courage to admit it, I respect that.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I was bored about a month ago, so I thought I would test a shipping company and Pass repair. They both worked flawlessly as my good amp still worked when it got to Pass, and works after I received it back. The only thing broken was my pride for being so gawd-dammn stupid. :)

I was actually more worried about your back vs your brain
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I was bored about a month ago, so I thought I would test a shipping company and Pass repair. They both worked flawlessly as my good amp still worked when it got to Pass, and works after I received it back. The only thing broken was my pride for being so gawd-dammn stupid. :)

I was actually more worried about your back vs your brain

Same here. I really need to start working out again. Wrestling a 150 lb amp into the rack is work.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2020
    150lb is ridiculously heavy. I moved a 114lb box today and that was bad enough. Can't imagine a 150lb amp.

Edit: Pass lists it as 132lbs on their website. Close enough!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I burned my left hand with hot glue while holding a remote mounted capacitor inside the cabinet of a bookie. I'll never do that again!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    As long as we learn from our blunders, we're good. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Hooking up something behind the system, accidentally got my foot caught on an IC and bent the pin rather badly.

Sent them off to Acoustic Zen for repair. Got scolded by the owner who told me to not do that again and he shipped them back no charge for the repair. Great customer service fyi.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I dropped a Klipsch KG .5 a few feet into a puddle on the way out of the flea market one day. That was a bad day. the cabinet fell apart and it was all ruined. The other one sounded nice, too, always wondered what they would sound like together.

In my first week or so of audio, I took my super cheap Onkyo speakers and turned the tweeters around to reduce the treble. that was a stupid day. ;)

I sold my Boston VR2s. Man, I'm still kicking myself for that one.

And many more. I learned a lot of stuff in this hobby the hard way!

But at the end of the day, I think probably all of us can say we've had more successes and breakthroughs than screw-ups, in this hobby, and in most of life. :)

-Micah
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Tom

Ahh, good, good... gettin' in touch with your own Sgt. Schultz Col. Flagg.

mnxgvoqt3d56.png

9fryxynsipvl.png

;)
  • treitz3
    I probably had one of the worst and somewhat famous audio blunder. Think - Tyler Acoustic speakers flying through the air...

Definitely not a good day in my audio journey.

Tom
  • verb
    I probably had one of the worst and somewhat famous audio blunder. Think - Tyler Acoustic speakers flying through the air...

Definitely not a good day in my audio journey.

Tom

That's what I'm talking about! Pics or it didn't happen! :smile: