Audio Blunders

124»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ouch that's gotta hurt! :cry:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Indeed. Veneta is right near Fern Ridge Reservoir, where we used to sail. And I heard that was a good one for the Dead.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Hope y'all are in good health!

For me one of the big audio blunders is confusing clarity with brightness in a system, particularly speakers.

The answer is listen to several sets before choosing.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I think I've done this twice now - screw-up the plug wiring pin-outs while making DIY XLR cables. Luckily only one mistake out of four plugs this time. Why does it have to be a Mars/Venus thing with XLR plugs?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Dang! :s

I like Dark Star a lot also.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I have a new one. I have an assortment of different (cheap) speaker cables, my best being BJC, but they're currently not long enough, so I have some old Monster cable and some Monoprice cable.

Now, I'm not gonna take the time to explain how this came about, but long story short, The only cables that were the right length was one Monster and one Monoprice. They're the same gauge and both OFC copper, so I thought it'd be fine. I had just moved my room, and when it sounded bad, I cracked it up to the new room position and forgot about the cables.

Fast forward to last week. I'd been chasing down a terrible phasey sound in my system for weeks, and just couldn't find the culprit. I checked my cables (not well enough to notice they were different, though), my speakers, my amp, preamp, everything. swapped everything. still had problems. I eventually gave up.

Then, in the corner where I can see both of the cables and not just one, I noticed that one was a slightly different color. looked closer... and realized that I was either blind or stupid. :D

Swap one out and the magic is back! And now I'm left with the reminder to check the overly simple and seemingly obvious things we (Or at least I) never think to think about, because I'm not that stupid. ;)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Not sure I did it per se, but in the middle of the night a while back the Totem Rainmakers were on a shelf 8’ in the air in a closet and the shelf gave out. One heck of a crash woke us up, guns drawn etc.
    the weird this is, besides all kinds of cosmetic scratches on the cabinets, the held together and only broke the grilles. Nothing rattling inside either.

Full disclosure I have not hooked them up since that, scared to.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Not sure I did it per se, but in the middle of the night a while back the Totem Rainmakers were on a shelf 8’ in the air in a closet and the shelf gave out. One heck of a crash woke us up, guns drawn etc.
    the weird this is, besides all kinds of cosmetic scratches on the cabinets, the held together and only broke the grilles. Nothing rattling inside either.

Full disclosure I have not hooked them up since that, scared to.

Give em a spin Joe!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I have a new one. I have an assortment of different (cheap) speaker cables, my best being BJC, but they're currently not long enough, so I have some old Monster cable and some Monoprice cable.

Now, I'm not gonna take the time to explain how this came about, but long story short, The only cables that were the right length was one Monster and one Monoprice. They're the same gauge and both OFC copper, so I thought it'd be fine. I had just moved my room, and when it sounded bad, I cracked it up to the new room position and forgot about the cables.

Fast forward to last week. I'd been chasing down a terrible phasey sound in my system for weeks, and just couldn't find the culprit. I checked my cables (not well enough to notice they were different, though), my speakers, my amp, preamp, everything. swapped everything. still had problems. I eventually gave up.

Then, in the corner where I can see both of the cables and not just one, I noticed that one was a slightly different color. looked closer... and realized that I was either blind or stupid. :D

Swap one out and the magic is back! And now I'm left with the reminder to check the overly simple and seemingly obvious things we (Or at least I) never think to think about, because I'm not that stupid. ;)

Good story! Kind reminds of my lamp cord days when it was at time near impossible to tell positive/negative! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited May 2020