Come/go

Options
tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,906
Might be kinda cool to start a thread on the gear that comes and goes and which you'd welcome back, and which you never would. The lists can be long but I'm going to shorten mine. Just a start....you can comment as to why if you like.

Welcome back

Backert labs pre amps
Cary xciter dac
Sonic Frontiers pre amp
Butler amps
Legacy speakers
Joule pre amp
Pioneer universal player 55
SDA's
B&K AMPS

Not welcome

cinepro amps
Sony receivers
Dac magic dacs
B&W speakers
Sony cdp's
adcom amps
Sansui speakers
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Welcome back
    Dynaudio Speakers
    NAD Separates
    B&K Amps
    Rotel Amps

Not Welcome
    MIT and Transparent Wire
    Nintendo
    Iphone Docks

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Welcome....

Magnepan
    Yamaha PX-3
    ClearAudio Goldfinger
    Sunfire Signature series/ 7401

Not Welcome

Sunfire Cinema Grand 200wpc models
    Carver solid state amps
    Sony Blu-ray players
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I wouldn't welcome any gear I've had back. Got 2 modest set ups and when I say goodbye to a piece of gear it's only to upgrade. Who knows with the world today.?? I may welcome back a transistor radio someday. Had a few doozies😃
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Welcome back:

AR LST speakers (traded in to an audio salon in May of '83, still have receipt, big audio regret)

Denon DP-75 platter (sold when I went back to school in mid-80's, loved that platter)

Not welcome back

Most of the interconnects and speaker cables I've had in the past

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    @nooshinjohn: what about Pioneer Elite? Didn’t you experience the dreaded “something” error (don’t remember the exact error code)? Was it toast in the end, and would you welcome it back or not?
    Alea jacta est!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Cool thread!

As far as welcome to return, I'll divide that into two catgories; seeking out and would take if given the chance.

Seeking out:
    Boston Acoustics VR series (really any of them, but especially VR2s)

Would take if given the chance:
    1990s era Onkyo two-channel receivers (I've had several)
    Monitor Audio R90s
    Polk LSi series
    KEF Q series
    Mission Freedom 770s
    Yamaha RX-V665 AVR (only AVR I've ever truly liked)
    Lafayette receivers
    1970s Harmon Kardon receivers

Not welcome:
    Polk SDA-CRS (They were good but I felt they didn't really live up to my expectations in my space, I'd happily try another pair in a bigger room)
    Infinity Crescendo 3007s (Once again, great, but only OK in my room and would be added to welcome if I got a bigger room)
    Anything from Sony that isn't ES (I've had a number of Sony pieces, and they were all either broken or subpar. Can't speak for ES stuff, though.)
    Onkyo speakers
    Kabuki speakers
    Boston subwoofer of a model I can't recall (I'm certain other Boston subs are great, but this was only really good for low to mid volume music, it didn't go deep enough for movies and ran out of steam quickly at high volumes.)
    Denon AVRs
    black plastic crap Technics receivers
    and more...

:)
    -Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I don't have enough years left to type my regretful departures. :#

I haven't hardly had any bad experiences with gear....OH wait, Harman Kardon receivers I acquired never worked. That reminds me of some Onkyo Integra stuff failing while I owned it.

Regular Onkyo receivers have always been reliable to me. I'm using one now. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Welcome Back:
    Usually once something has left the building, I have upgraded and moved on, but there are a few pieces I would make an exception for. These would include:
    AR9LSIs
    AR 11s
    Thiels
    Dayens

Not Welcome:

Emerald Physics
    ESS
    Monster receivers
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I'd welcome back:

Kotter
    Marantz SA8004

Not welcome back

Sony 55" 3d TV
    Sony CD carousel

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I'd welcome back:

Kotter

oh, oh! ooh, oooh, ooh!!

h23743zrdkh5.png

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn: what about Pioneer Elite? Didn’t you experience the dreaded “something” error (don’t remember the exact error code)? Was it toast in the end, and would you welcome it back or not?
    No problem with Pioneer Elite... the new one I have is nice, and I don’t do that much HT.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Options
    So they helped you cover the cost to replace it?

I guess I should have realized that it wasn’t part of your music 🎶 setup.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    They were going to, but I got a much better deal from Best Buy.

• Kex
    Options
    Nice to see any retailer step up when things go bad, especially since they didn’t have to. Kudos to Best Buy (ticker BBY 😂).
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    Welcome back:

Pioneer LD S-1
    Marantz HT receivers
    Infinity Kappa 5
    Mirage M3

Not welcome:

Klipsch Heresy
    Definitive Tech BP7002
    Adcom amps

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Welcome back
    Modded Sansui TU9900

Not welcome
    Amps without dc protection
    Cassette decks
  • tonyb
    Options
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Welcome Back:
    Usually once something has left the building, I have upgraded and moved on, but there are a few pieces I would make an exception for. These would include:
    AR9LSIs
    AR 11s
    Thiels
    Dayens

Not Welcome:

Emerald Physics
    ESS
    Monster receivers

Hmmm, the Emerald's were all the rage awhile back, why ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Welcome back
    Jolida cd
    Vandersteen 3A
    Onkyo Integra amp
    Jbl L150
    Joule electra lap150a

Not welcome
    Norman speakers
    Realistic speakers
    70's and 80's receivers
    Any made by BSR

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Welcome Back:
    AR9LSIs
    AR 11s
    Thiels
    Dayens

Not Welcome:

Emerald Physics
    ESS
    Monster receivers

Hmmm, the Emerald's were all the rage awhile back, why ?

They were a PITA to set up. If they were the only speakers you had, they would be fine. However if you switched them out to listen to something different, it meant younhad to practically redo your set up. They had to be biamped and use a processor as well, so it was a few extra steps. They were a little placement picky as well. Once dialed in, they sounded good.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    Based on my short journey in this hobby so far,

Welcome back:
    Cary SLP 05-- Would jump on this one the very first opportunity that I get. Totally regret selling this.
    Northstar DAC Excelsio
    MastersounD PHL-5 V2 Preamp

Not Welcome:
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC
    Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated (just did not go well with my system)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What do you not like about the Perfectwave DAC?

• jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    Just too dry for my taste. Could have been the pairing with Rogue integrated as well. I see you have one?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Seems to work quite well with my Pass Labs and the Carvers.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Based on my short journey in this hobby so far,

Welcome back:
    Cary SLP 05-- Would jump on this one the very first opportunity that I get. Totally regret selling this.
    Northstar DAC Excelsio
    MastersounD PHL-5 V2 Preamp

Not Welcome:
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC
    Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated (just did not go well with my system)

Well Dhavel, I'm glad you shared your Cary SLP-05 and NS DAC Excelsio with me! Not giving em back! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Interesting, your not the first to describe the perfect wave dac in that way.

Seems people either love them or think of them as so so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Welcome back
    Jolida cd
    Vandersteen 3A
    Onkyo Integra amp
    Jbl L150
    Joule electra lap150a

Not welcome
    Norman speakers
    Realistic speakers
    70's and 80's receivers
    Any made by BSR

hey, watch it, I started out with norman labs speakers.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156