Chord DAC's

I'm looking to try another DAC. I've been keeping an eye on the 2Qute & the Qutest. Any one with 1st hand experience with either DAC. Other suggestions also welcomed.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2020
    I'm curious on your goal with a new DAC? I have plenty of experience with many different DAC's. The 2 you listed however I never even heard of them. I'll have to get my Google on and check them out.
    The NAD D1050 you have is a pretty awesome DAC.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    this dac was compared to the top of the line chord dave dac. it has 168 pages here.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-dac-van-dammes-double-impact.840938/
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice to see ya Phil, don't be such a stranger.

No direct experience with the Chord dacs but have heard a few. At times to my ears they can sound a wee bit bass heavy. Very analog sound to them though. No listener fatigue with them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Chord DAC’s are among my favorite. They are a true dacless DAC. PS Audio and others are the same. Lamp is my favorite. Now I have not experienced the big boy chord. But the mentioned so far in this thread, I have. And owned the Hugo.

As for Bass Heavy, PS Audio takes that title.
  • halen
    edited March 2020
    I think it is called PS Audio. I have had two kids since those days.. Haha
  • halen
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice to see ya Phil, don't be such a stranger.

No direct experience with the Chord dacs but have heard a few. At times to my ears they can sound a wee bit bass heavy. Very analog sound to them though. No listener fatigue with them.

Ron @txcoastal1 hoarded a couple. Am sure he could find a spare somewhere for you to try. Hehehe
  • tonyb
    Ha, lamps are one of my favs too. For those that don't know....lampizator , ya just got to hear one .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    Chord DAC’s are really good with simple presentations like a band. This is based on the earlier version of Hugo. If you are into musicals or something with like a full orchestra presentation Chord will lose.

Now this was my experience with it many years ago.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    marvda1 wrote: »
    this dac was compared to the top of the line chord dave dac. it has 168 pages here.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-dac-van-dammes-double-impact.840938/

The LKS Marv is recommending is no joke here. I heard one about 6 months ago. Fantastic sounding unit and at it's price point, I feel its a bargain.

If you have money for a Lampizator, that is an excellent choice but, at the $1600 price point, try to get your ears on an LKS
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • marvda1
    here's another great dac, if you are a sound tinkerer this one's for you. you can change tubes between two different families, change caps easily, change dac chips (akm and ess), has Bluetooth, can be used as a preamp.
    http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=97
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    erniejade wrote: »
    If you have money for a Lampizator, that is an excellent choice but, at the $1600 price point, try to get your ears on an LKS

The entry level Lamp is the A3. Price is being bumped at the end of the month.
    Fred from Lampizator NA posted this in WBF

“I just wanted to make a quick PSA for those of you who were interested in the Amber 3 but may have been on the fence.

The starting price of this DAC will be increasing from 2500 Euro to 3000 Euro beginning April 1, 2020“
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    Thanks for all the great info! Don't worry Tony I've always been here, just more lurking then posting. There are some great DAC's in the sub 2k playing field. I looked at the LKS DAC & it gets fabulous reviews. My only concern is that it almost sounds like it has to be modded to achieve excellence. I'm not one for that at all. I just want to buy & play. The Chords mentioned still have my fancy...for now. Oh & by the way the NAD DAC is an excellent performer in it's price class. I've been very happy with it for a few years now. However after I pulled the plug on a pair of KEF R3 bookies the upgrade bug has reared it's ugly head. Tremendous speakers!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • marvda1
    on the lks dac, the manufacturer did a lot of the mods that people had done.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pearsall001
    I've been looking at the Mytek line of DAC's...in particular the new Liberty or a used Brooklyn. All reviews are very good. Still doing my homework. I did take a look at the Lampizator line but I'm not looking to take out a second mortgage. To be fair though their entry level is somewhat affordable but a tad out of what I'm looking to spend. I'm staying at $1500 & that's that. For now anyway!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'd try for the used Brooklyn...nice DAC.
    @Mikey081057 owns a Brooklyn
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pearsall001
    In my search for info on DAC's in general I came across a lot of conversations about the R 2R dacs. I found the info very interesting. My take away is that they are based on old school technology (resistor to resistor) to bring back the good old analog sound which is my cup of tea. In particular this company's product line all get rave reviews. Denafrips is the company. Anyone ever heard one in person. My interest would be the Area II or the Pontus.
  • tonyb
    No ears on those yet Phil. Have heard good things about them though.
    Audio note is another very analog sound but can be a bit pricey for their upper end stuff.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Yes indeed Tony, Audio Note is also on my radar.
  • tonyb
    Ya know Phil, another dac that's in your price range and analog sounding might be the Cary 100t. I can't think of who it was around here that had one, but it seemed to blow his sack back into last week if I recall.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Thanks for the info, will check it out. I know Cary also makes the Excited Dac but haven't followed up on it just yet.
  • tonyb
    You mean the xciter dac. That one I've personally owned and dug it but the 100t is in a few leagues above.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Thanks for all the great info. My only issue is that the vast majority of DAC's I'm looking at mostly have to be bought on-line without getting ears on them.
    I might have a shot of getting a Mytek Liberty & Brooklyn DAC+ for an in home comparison. I can also add in my current NAD dac for a 3 way comparison. That would be a lot of fun.
  • tonyb
    Mikey in florida has the Brooklyn, maybe give him a shout for his opinion on the sound. The Northstar is no joke either but may not be as analog sounding as you want.

Another to look into, the Musical Fidelity Tri-vista dac. Trey has one and is spankin' his monkey to it. Older dac but great analog sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    I'm still doing my homework & scouring the internet for DAC companies & their product lines. I came across a company..Border Patrol, they make all products in Maryland. Their SE DAC had caught my eye. A R 2R design based on the old school Phillips chip. Fantastic reviews, plain & simple, straightforward presentation. Sounds promising & they offer a 14 day in home trial. I might have to take them up on the offer.
  • tonyb
    I'd say you do Phil, and let us all know your thoughts. I love to live threw you brotha. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    edited March 2020
    The Northstar is no joke either but may not be as analog sounding as you want.

Just my 2 cents on the Northstar DAC-- I have had two of these so far in my system-- Excelsio and Supremo. I sold Excelsio to @verb a while back when I upgraded to Supremo. I found both of them very analog sounding. I used to have PS Audio PerfectWave DAC before the Northstar gears, and the latter was much better at being "analog". For the price, this is one of the really nice ones that I have seen.
  • jumpindick
    Mikey in florida has the Brooklyn, maybe give him a shout for his opinion on the sound. The Northstar is no joke either but may not be as analog sounding as you want.

Another to look into, the Musical Fidelity Tri-vista dac. Trey has one and is spankin' his monkey to it. Older dac but great analog sound.

I have had two Northstar DACs in my system-- Excelsio and Supremo. I sold Excelsio to @verb a while back. In my system, I found both of them very musical and analog sounding. I used to have PSA PerfectWave DAC and the NS DACs were just much better than the PSA. Of course, PSA products are also very well received, the NS DACs were something much better. Currently, I am still using Supremo DAC and in the system, and it has not made me feel that I do not have any tube anywhere in the entire chain...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have to agree with Dhavel here...the Supremo is superb and very analog sounding.
    While the majority of my time with the Supremo has been while lounging around Skip's house and at LSAF. Probably my favorite line of DACs has been North Star. I currently have the Incanto and if I hadn't just bought a new set of speakers, I would probably have already snatched Dhavel's Supremo up. *sigh* Stupid limited money supply...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jumpindick
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I have to agree with Dhavel here...the Supremo is superb and very analog sounding.
    While the majority of my time with the Supremo has been while lounging around Skip's house and at LSAF. Probably my favorite line of DACs has been North Star. I currently have the Incanto and if I hadn't just bought a new set of speakers, I would probably have already snatched Dhavel's Supremo up. *sigh* Stupid limited money supply...

If you are interested, let me know. We can work something out... Just saying..