I've tracked down a local set of SDS SRS... cover me, I'm going in!

124»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    What MW upgrade? There were no MW upgraded drivers.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Cool on the 2 ch for movies. I imagine the older monitor or RTA line would be a good fit adding more speakers.
  • Polar
    Polar Posts: 70
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What MW upgrade? There were no MW upgraded drivers.

My goof. I thought there were. I need to reread Raife's PDF.

• Polar
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Cool on the 2 ch for movies. I imagine the older monitor or RTA line would be a good fit adding more speakers.

I thought about that. How hilarious that would be to get some 5jrs for all the effects!

While it wouldn't be a waste- and the cool factor would be off the chart - I'd still be looking at those and saying "what a perfectly good pile of speakers I could put with all my other components to make more 2 channel systems."

I have four Canton Ergo F speakers I could use for the back surround and rear effects, and several different center channels I could put there if I decide to go all out. The only thing left would be to figure out my front height effects. That would mean either speaker tops (and I don't want dust on the top of my SRS towers, never mind putting speakers on top of them), or some in-walls.

This is going to take a lot of thought.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited March 2020
    @Polar

You do realize that in today's Atmos 7.x.4 setup ...ALL channels are full-range right?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    ddog wrote: »
    @Polar

You do realize that in today's Atmos 7.x.4 setup ...ALL channels are full-range right?

That, I didnt know. Overkill for my setup tho.
  • Polar
    ddog wrote: »
    @Polar

Absolutely not, I have no idea. Atmos is beyond me, as all my experience has been with DD/DD+. I didn't even get into TrueHD, I bought an Atmos receiver. I just never got around to hooking it up. I know the basics, such as what the x.x.x means and what Atmos does, but I have yet to set one up. Fortunately Marantz includes Audyssey and a good setup wizard with their top AVRs.

But.. given that much of the Atmos setups I've seen use in-wall speakers, those don't exactly go 20-20k, do they? I would think they'd be like bookshelf speakers, which roll off anywhere between 100-200 (usually) and rely on the sub for reinforcement.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Polar wrote: »
    Congrats to you on landing a fine pair of speakers.
    In my case I used a tfm 45 on my 2.3s and 1.2tls for a while and it was an upgrade over both a qsc pro amp and an Adcom 555. The Carver eventually lost it's spot to a Mcintosh mc2500 which was a huge upgrade over the 45. The 2500 paired up very well with the Polks imo and had a good long run here of almost 7 years.

Thank you.

McIntosh makes beautiful gear. I would really like to try the mc2500 on these SRS. If its ends up better than my 25 then its a great amp and one for the active shelf. I'll BOLO for one of those.

I was intrigued by @motorstereo McIntosh journey so I decided to get a MC300. Loved it so much decided to get another one, that's when I found out the 1st gen SRS's cannot do monoblocks!

But, the MC300 runs the SRS's without breaking a sweat!

I started my CP journey with a M1.0t, and then, well, upgraded! I karma'd the Carver to a buddy of mine! Got him on his journey! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey brother - welcome! Post some pics! You also can start your own thread if you like, to showcase your setup! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    jbomber wrote: »
    I'm probably on the wrong thread here, but since I have a pair of fully modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs that I've been upgrading and enjoying for about a year now...

I purchased a new album recently, Dire Straits' Love Over Gold -- a MoFi 180g/45rpm job. Brought it over to a buddy's place for a first listen. He has a pretty righteous system -- Gilmore amps, Mac pre, Audio Physic Virgo 25s, VPI/Ortofon... nice rig. We enjoyed the album immensely over a couple of glasses of good red wine...

Then I got to my place and listened to the album again through my Polks. OMG! What a difference. That SDA soundstage gives recorded music so much more life. Okay, maybe it's the 845 push/pull amps or the Dynavector cart -- or all the above, but I have to say, every time I listen to a new record thru my system, I'm planted somewhere between absolutely delighted and blown away.

Just thought I'd share some brotherly SDA love...

I feel the same way about my 2.3TLs.
    We come to the forum!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Polar
    jbomber wrote: »
    I purchased a new album recently, Dire Straits' Love Over Gold -- a MoFi 180g/45rpm job. Brought it over to a buddy's place for a first listen. ....

Then I got to my place and listened to the album again through my Polks. OMG! What a difference. That SDA soundstage gives recorded music so much more life. Okay, maybe it's the 845 push/pull amps or the Dynavector cart -- or all the above, but I have to say, every time I listen to a new record thru my system, I'm planted somewhere between absolutely delighted and blown away.

Just thought I'd share some brotherly SDA love...

Amigo, you picked the exact right band for these speakers. Dire Straits were among the best produced/engineered rock bands of the past 50 years, and the SRS were practically designed to play their work. Wait until you try Brothers in Arms! "The Man is Too Strong" and the title track are awesome, but the standout for me is "Ride Across the River". Its awe-inspiring, and I get chills when I listen to it. If you really want to have fun, get that album on MoFi HSM vinyl as well as MoFi SACD/OMR. Try it on your table as well as a digital player. Your SRS will have fun with the transients from the SACD, and your mind will enjoy the warmth from the vinyl.

Welcome to the forum and please enjoy your time here.
  • Polar
    Guys, I got into the remastered Wish You Were Here today, on 180gr.

Magic. I have no other words.