I've tracked down a local set of SDS SRS... cover me, I'm going in!

24

Comments

  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    edited March 9
    F1nut wrote: »
    Since you have never tried spikes on floor standers it's all about coupling, so the speakers don't rock/move. That's not move as in from their position.

    Spiking results in tighter bass and cleaner mids. You should try it.

    I already did in the early 90s. It didn't work well for me. I had a pair of highly custom two stage speakers, a separate woofer cab topped with what the builder called a "time aligned modified D'Appolito configuration". They sounded good at his demo room, sounded bland at my home, especially with the Hafler driving them. The top box stood on some extremely dense spikes.

    When I bought my B&W speakers I dismantled the D'Appolito specials, threw everything out but kept the spikes. We used TipToes for the turntables in our store when they first came out, and they did a good job. I figured I'd put them to good use when I got my next turntable. Flash forward 25 years and I finally did. As soon as I have the chance to get some MDF and make a proper bed for that table, I'll make sure to use these spikes. (The only time I'll ever allow MDF into any of my projects again, I think.)
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you aren't satisfied with the sound, speakers on stands should be decoupled from the plate. Some use Blu-tack while others use pads. The stands should be mass loaded and spiked.

    FTFY again.

    My B&Ws on stands were spiked to the carpet in my previous place but they sit on rubber isolators now to protect my wood floor. The speakers themselves sit right on the stands. I have no issues with the sound at all.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,826
    Well, no you didn't. No matter I'm done here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    I'm going to check out the speakers tomorrow. I'm hoping that the seller has represented everything properly. Hopefully he has them on spikes so I get the maximum impact of the speakers' potential (sorry F1, I had to say it :D Peace, bro)

    Watch this space tomorrow, I'll be updating in the afternoon.
  • verbverb Posts: 10,203
    Hey Polar, I suggest you first get squared away with those SRS's, get em running, and then establish a baseline for performance, and go from there.

    The journey is incremental, after all. I have not spiked my SRS's yet, but I will. Lot's of folks here have traveled that journey before, and I trust their judgement. YMMV of course, but you may consider giving it a try.

    I found myself wrapped up in trying too many tweaks at the same time, what I learned from that is tweak one variable at a time. That way you can realize if that one thing made a difference. Otherwise it's tough to discern what works.

    All good, the folks here are trying to help! I have really upped my game heeding the advice of many here!

    Keep us posted on your journey!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    verb wrote: »
    Hey Polar, I suggest you first get squared away with those SRS's, get em running, and then establish a baseline for performance, and go from there.

    The journey is incremental, after all. I have not spiked my SRS's yet, but I will. Lot's of folks here have traveled that journey before, and I trust their judgement. YMMV of course, but you may consider giving it a try.

    I found myself wrapped up in trying too many tweaks at the same time, what I learned from that is tweak one variable at a time. That way you can realize if that one thing made a difference. Otherwise it's tough to discern what works.

    All good, the folks here are trying to help! I have really upped my game heeding the advice of many here!

    Keep us posted on your journey!

    Good advice. I haven't sat in front of the SRS since 1986, so I plan on just taking my time and getting to know them again. I have the right gear and the right material to listen to; the SRS playlist was a pretty good description of what we had on the shelf at the store and I have a lot of it here both digital and vinyl.
    I figure it'll take me a few months before I settle in and start playing with tweaks. I already priced out the tweeter replacements, since I still have a contact or two in the business, and I have paths available for anything else that might pop up.
    I think the biggest concern right now is transport, but I'll figure it out.
  • verbverb Posts: 10,203
    edited March 9
    Sounds like a plan! I for one, am interested in your impressions, as I'm not that far in front of you! My only tweak thus far, is the tweeters.

    Be sure to post pics!

    And I have gotten plenty of advice here on CP to get the XO's upgraded! And I will! :smile: Eventually! One step at a time my brother!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,797
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, no you didn't. No matter I'm done here.

    I've been done since the comments about the tweeters... I love it when new people join seeking advise, only to refute the advice given and citing their own biases as the best path.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    Believe me I'll be too excited to post much tomorrow, other than to give a brief update. My wife is probably going to shoot me with a tranquilizer dart.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, no you didn't. No matter I'm done here.

    I've been done since the comments about the tweeters... I love it when new people join seeking advise, only to refute the advice given and citing their own biases as the best path.

    Lighten up, Francis.
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 5,094
    Welcome Polar. Not sure if you are new, but your post count would indicate so. Congrats on the SRS! I would love to hear a pair someday. The tweets, if oprrable are not like fingernails on a chalkboard. Ive owned a couple of Polk models with them. That said, i did switch out the tweets with rdo-194s and there was improvement, but I enjoyed them for a long time with the sl2000s too. Not sure if my 54 yr old military damaged ears would hear a 5db spike at 13khz or not, but the overall tone of the upper registry was improved. Enjoy!
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,501
    Hopefully you'll be bringing them home and if you do laying on their back is the best way to transport them to prevent magnet shift. With the help of a strong friend they both will fit in the back of an suv to.
    Another bit of advice would be to listen to the advice of the experienced members here. They do know exactly what they're talking about when it comes to getting the very best out of the big sda's.
  • slow_polk7slow_polk7 Posts: 25
    Polar wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, no you didn't. No matter I'm done here.

    I've been done since the comments about the tweeters... I love it when new people join seeking advise, only to refute the advice given and citing their own biases as the best path.

    Lighten up, Francis.

    I'm pretty darn new here myself, but it's interesting just how much a poster reveals about him/herself in the space of just a few posts.

    In the event I'm being too obtuse, let me just say, Polar (Bi-polar?) has made a really shi**y first impression.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    slow_polk7 wrote: »
    Polar wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, no you didn't. No matter I'm done here.

    I've been done since the comments about the tweeters... I love it when new people join seeking advise, only to refute the advice given and citing their own biases as the best path.

    Lighten up, Francis.

    I'm pretty darn new here myself, but it's interesting just how much a poster reveals about him/herself in the space of just a few posts.

    In the event I'm being too obtuse, let me just say, Polar (Bi-polar?) has made a really shi**y first impression.


    Tri-Polar, actually. And I think you're really more acute than anything else in geometry.

    Personally, I think certain people took things too seriously. And what I learned long ago in life, not just audio, is that when you think you know everything, you've obviously missed something. Also, everything is open for debate. Again, except with certain people.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    verb wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan! I for one, am interested in your impressions, as I'm not that far in front of you! My only tweak thus far, is the tweeters.

    Be sure to post pics!

    And I have gotten plenty of advice here on CP to get the XO's upgraded! And I will! :smile: Eventually! One step at a time my brother!
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Welcome Polar. Not sure if you are new, but your post count would indicate so. Congrats on the SRS! I would love to hear a pair someday. The tweets, if oprrable are not like fingernails on a chalkboard. Ive owned a couple of Polk models with them. That said, i did switch out the tweets with rdo-194s and there was improvement, but I enjoyed them for a long time with the sl2000s too. Not sure if my 54 yr old military damaged ears would hear a 5db spike at 13khz or not, but the overall tone of the upper registry was improved. Enjoy!
    Hopefully you'll be bringing them home and if you do laying on their back is the best way to transport them to prevent magnet shift. With the help of a strong friend they both will fit in the back of an suv to.
    Another bit of advice would be to listen to the advice of the experienced members here. They do know exactly what they're talking about when it comes to getting the very best out of the big sda's.

    Guys.... they're heeeeere!

    When I inspected them, everything that needed to be done has been done. All 8 tweeters have been replaced with the RD'OH0001944fourforwow tweeters (F1 is gripping his keyboard ... "must control myself... mustn't correct him....MUST NOT..... arrrggghh .... its the RD0194-1...."), and the mid-woofers look brand new. Everything about these is perfect all the way around. The grill cloth is uniformly black. No sags, no stains, no runs. There are a couple of pills at the bottom that look like pet claw snags, I'm going to try razoring those out later.

    The bottom of the cabinets are pristine. I had expected them to be scarred up but they're not. However there are 4 leveling feet on there with glide bottoms. I forgot about those things. Didn't they used to have rubber discs over them? Whatever - they have to go. I wasn't going to do spikes but after seeing those things I'll gladly swap them out for proper single-toes.

    I'm currently driving them with an old Carver I had laying around. At volume these are good towers, but at lower levels the definition isn't as good as I expected. I don't think that's the Carver, I think its the lame Marantz preamp I'm using, temporarily.

    I still have all my test CDs from the store, so I spent a few minutes listening after I got things set up. The old Sheffield Track Disc really shows the imaging these are capable of. If you have access to that, I recommend it.

    I'm done for now. Wife is home, and believe it or not she walked right past these and didn't see them. Win!
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 5,094
    Congrats! Let the fun begin!
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    Hey before I go for the night, I have to ask what you all use to clean these. I gave them a cursory rubdown with Seventh Generation wood cleaner/polish and a microcloth, but I'm sure there must be some time-tested ritual that must be observed so these keep looking like they just came out of the box.
  • BinKY188_5BinKY188_5 Posts: 95
    I'd like to know also. @F1nut ?
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    BinKY188_5 wrote: »
    I'd like to know also. @F1nut ?

    I think he's done with this thread. :disappointed:
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 714
    So where's the pics?
  • BinKY188_5BinKY188_5 Posts: 95
    Polar wrote: »
    BinKY188_5 wrote: »
    I'd like to know also. @F1nut ?

    I think he's done with this thread. :disappointed:

    I didn't notice that. I have read that he is a master woodworker and thought he might chime in.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    krazypolk wrote: »
    So where's the pics?

    When I get daylight tomorrow I'll post something up. I have to straighten up my AV center anyway.
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 714
    It's been a minute since I've bought new to me speakers so I'm sort of ridin shotgun witch ya on this one.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    Plenty of room in the car, just don't touch my radio. :D
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,774
    The glides never had rubber on them.
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,390
    Polar wrote: »
    ...I'm currently driving them with an old Carver I had laying around. At volume these are good towers, but at lower levels the definition isn't as good as I expected. I don't think that's the Carver, I think its the lame Marantz preamp I'm using, temporarily...

    Maybe, maybe not. Rebuilt crossovers will make a huge difference. I'd pull them just to see what's been done if anything.
    One foot on audio nirvana and the other in the poor house.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    audioluvr wrote: »

    Maybe, maybe not. Rebuilt crossovers will make a huge difference. I'd pull them just to see what's been done if anything.

    Great minds think alike. I already have that inspection on the menu, but I do want to put some known good components in there to rule that out.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,797
    It's the Carver, unless it is a TFM55 or better.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    edited March 11
    It's the Carver, unless it is a TFM55 or better.

    Its an un-modded M1.0t. It sounds a little lifeless to me with these speakers, but with a pair of vintage KEF and a turntable it was very nice. I have an excellent TFM on the shelf that I may swap in there, but I have bigger and arguably better stuff than that laying around. I'll be having a lot of fun with this.

  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,390
    The 1.0 isn't a bad amp. If you aren't a rebuilder, though, I'd spend your money elsewhere. As many others here will tell you, watts aren't everything. There are several next level brands of amps that would mesh really well those SRS's.
    One foot on audio nirvana and the other in the poor house.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 66
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The 1.0 isn't a bad amp. If you aren't a rebuilder, though, I'd spend your money elsewhere. As many others here will tell you, watts aren't everything. There are several next level brands of amps that would mesh really well those SRS's.

    Indeed. I'm going to be rotating some cool amps in there, and I'll be posting my impressions as time goes on.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!