Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Well, if the fate of the markets is linked to the virus, doesn't it make sense that the virus isn't going to be around forever and thus neither will a bear market ?

Btw, if money is your concern, you can make it no matter which way the market moves. If your scared about the violentile movements,get out and sit on the sidelines until it calms down. Not rocket science..

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    Oh, the virus will be around forever thus the reason for a vaccine, it's not a cure.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    So will all the other viruses, and I'm sure a few more new ones....and the greed I mean markets continue to flourish.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. At some point we will get used to it, and not think about it much. Of course before that happens most people susceptible to it will have had it, and many will die.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    @tonyb, sure but we need a good recession on occasion as well. Flush out all the weak hands.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Does anyone else sense an atmosphere of "don't test don't tell"?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tonyb
    xschop wrote: »
    Does anyone else sense an atmosphere of "don't test don't tell"?

Absolutely, everywhere.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Even when that nursing home in Washington was suffering its own mini-pandemic, they weren't allowed according to the CDC guidelines, to test everyone that lived and worked in the place. How freakin' stupid is that????
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    We have people here down under waiting for results and in the meantime going to large group gatherings of all sorts to later finding out they have it!.I'd like to slap them.. I wonder if in the very near future if they will be made liable?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    I've never needed a test to tell me I have the flu, a cold or basically feel like death warmed over.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    yes, the man flu,Most women would die :p
  • Gardenstater
    The thing is that people can be non symptomatic and still be contagious with coronavirus! So testing everyone in that nursing home should've been a no-brainer!!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    The thing is that people can be non symptomatic and still be contagious with coronavirus! So testing everyone in that nursing home should've been a no-brainer!!

So, no different than someone carrying a flu virus that hasn't gone full blown yet.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    The difference is that coronavirus goes right into viral pneumonia and puts many more people on respirators and into the ICU, than the ordinary flu ever did. When I said non-symptomatic I didn't mean symptoms that hadn't gone full blown, I meant literally no symptoms or no clue of any sickness to come. And then those health workers that were uknowingly carriers went home and out into the world and no doubt infected others. That's why the CDC not having enough tests and putting stupid restrictions into effect upon who can be tested in typical CYA fashion was the nations undoing. I'm just using the nursing home as a micro example.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Mhmm.....fyi, it doesn't go right into viral pneumonia

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So this morning 2 cases of folks testing positive in Michigan. One in my county, the other in an adjacent county. Both recently traveled via air, one internationally.

My behavior has not changed, other than being more aware. I continue to remain calm. I will continue to monitor, and be vigilant.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    We have 2 cases within 100 miles of us. Same here, Dave.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    F1nut wrote: »
    Mhmm.....fyi, it doesn't go right into viral pneumonia

OK......it does much more often than basic flu. The person's immune system goes int a cytokine storm which makes the pneumonia even worse. That's why Italy's hospitals are being overwhelmed and they are letting people with strokes etc., basically go untreated except for oxygen masks. They are scrambling to convert many more spaces into ICU's basically and don't have enough respirators to go around.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueFox
    As a side note, it is interesting how bad Italy and Iran were hit early.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    Thanks Tom, it's crazy to see how some folks are behaving. Michigan declared a state of emergency, not sure exactly what that means.

My work has further implemented some precautions. Any meeting over 30 people must be conducted on line. Conference rooms must be sized such that it is twice the capacity of expected attendees.

Further travel restrictions. Virtually all travel is suspended, except deemed critical, and must be approved at a VP level.

And, people are encouraged to work from home. I personally like that one, as I can wear my pajamas all day now! Video conferencing notwithstanding, of course! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2020
    Exactly what you should do... I have tried to consolidate my trips out of the house and I take my boy out less than I did before. Open air parks at times when I know less people will be there and such, but other than that, business as usual.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited March 2020
    verb wrote: »
    My behavior has not changed, other than being more aware. I continue to remain calm. I will continue to monitor, and be vigilant.

And that right there is exactly what most people should be doing.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Going to pickup a couple Ban-Mi fire sandwiches to go with the Coronas. Should be an amazing natural virus deterrent.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    There are 6 cases within 50 miles of where I live. My employer has discussed work from home measures but hasn't officially sent out the word.

I already work from home one day a week and am fully prepared to handle that scenario, just becoming impatient. When I make my commute I get closer to the city center and the population increases drastically. I really don't want to head over to this side of town anymore.

I'm not overly paranoid but I would like to take my own measures as I see fit within reason.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb
    Thank you for the explanation! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    1200 cases Wednesday (3/11) night.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    This was on another forum, and I assume it is accurate. Basically, it shows exponential growth of the virus infections.

nlv8seqvcy71.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
This discussion has been closed.