Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Joey_V wrote: »
    10x the admit rate of flu
    40x the icu admit rate
    Even if you don't die... there are many very painful ways of surviving.

And this is in 2 months.

I hope they are wrong.
    Otherwise, we are in for a shocker.

Joey,
    Thanks for providing the info straight from the horse's mouth.
    Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    7nerznesq9j4.jpg

lets hope its not this kind
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Willow wrote: »
    7nerznesq9j4.jpg

lets hope its not this kind

Is there any other kind?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2020
    Joey_V wrote: »
    10x the admit rate of flu
    40x the icu admit rate
    Even if you don't die... there are many very painful ways of surviving.

And this is in 2 months.

I hope they are wrong.
    Otherwise, we are in for a shocker.

Joey,
    Thanks for providing the info straight from the horse's mouth.
    Harry

Harry

What scares me is the icu admit rate.
    For example, our hospital has 7 icu beds.

There ain’t enough to go around.

If this virus doesn’t scare you (not you ****) because the death rate is only 3%, you’re not experienced in clinical medicine because you have no idea the mountain you are going up against. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, because you don’t know what you don’t know.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    It may be better if people don't know. It won't hurt them but may just prevent them from having a heart attack brought on by a massively promoted fear and anxiety campaign.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Looking for a diamond in the rough?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    LA2LoonieBin - You think your "LOL's" get on my nerve? Please allow me to be the first to tell you and your little buddies that I frankly don't give a crap. Petty. So very petty and useless. Much like your posts.

My head isn't in the sand. I am well aware of what is happening. You wanna live in fear and anxiety? Be my guest. In fact, I'll cheer you on if that's what you crave.

Look man, people are already freaked out over this massively promoted fear and anxiety campaign. What I am saying is that one should not add fuel to the fire. It does nothing to help anyone. Especially those who are a stone's throw away from a heart attack brought on by the insanity.

When was the last time you spoke about audio on this forum anyways? Seems to me like you are just a SJW here to set us all straight.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2020
    Time for you to stop drinking out of the toilet la2loser... Just put that lid down and crawl away. (Not name calling btw, the Raiders always lose)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Funny how people on the forum keep posting their useless nonsense trying to tell other people what to post and do. It would be nice if they stayed on topic. Sorry for this off topic post.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    treitz3 wrote: »
    When was the last time you spoke about audio on this forum anyways?[

Tom

I've been thinking this for quite some time now.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    dromunds wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    When was the last time you spoke about audio on this forum anyways?[

Tom

I've been thinking this for quite some time now.

How Much more can he say about his Hello Kitty boombox?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    • The number of cases stands at over 116K worldwide.
    • It took just three days for a 16% increase, even though numbers are now stable in China (maybe under reporting to look good?).
    • By that metric, we could see a 30% increase in just one week.
    • Outside of China, that would equal an approximately 50% increase in cases in just three days, or a possible 100% increase in just one week.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Soooo....I work for a very large healthcare company. We have thousands of doctors on staff. I just got out of a meeting about an hour ago with a bunch of department heads from a few of our hospitals regarding a referral application we built in house to make referrals easier.

Anyway, that doesn't matter, before the meeting started, the docs were discussing the obvious. Not only did some express concern that China's initial numbers in January didn't add up, especially given the current rates we've seen but also the infection/death rate seems way low for the amount of quarantining they did. That led to speculation that China either covered up the outbreak from as early as September 2019 or didn't know what it was until January 2020. Either way that's bad.

Then one doc said he saw some reports from a medical journal that he reads that the COVID-19 virus will give a false positive on a Flu B test. That's just a teensy bit concerning. That's not to say that the COVID-19 test are no good. It's saying that the Flu B tests are reading a false positive for Flu B in COVID-19 infections.

In other words, what he was saying is that the implication there is that COVID-19 has been all over the globe since September when "flu season started early this year" and COVID-19 testing positive as Flu B is the reason for the especially virulent and harsh Flu B this year.

So the possibility exists that if you had a particularly nasty version of Flu B already, you may have already been infected with COVID-19.

It really shut the chatter up in the conference room and on the conference call.

The only way I can see to verify that is to retest folks who were tested positive for Flu B this past season and see if there are DNA/RNA markers from COVID-19 still hanging around in their bodies.

If all that's true, though, then this is far beyond pandemic and we're just catching up and noticing because China took so long to tell anyone and identify it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    There's going to be A LOT of inheriting going on I guess.

Our local funeral homes and their crematories will be GOLD MINES soon. Not that they weren't already.

Now... how did S. Korea and Italy have tens of thousands of test kits for this one strand of virus and we had very little and the ones we had to begin with were supposedly faulty. Faulty?

Did they S.K. and Italy know about this strand a year ago and prepared and were ready? I'm puzzled by the tens of thousands of pos. tests in other Countries. What about the negative test results. There must be thousands and thousands of them too, right? All those test kits...and we didn't have but "I haven't heard yet how many we had that were defective" to start with.

I have an older friend who seemed to be GIDDY about relaying the bad scenarios to my email box. I kind-of let him have it today but in a respectful way. I also asked him some questions and he didn't answer them. And I was looking forward to his reasoning and actions over this stock market frenzy and gloom and doom he seems to like projecting to me.

I'll sure be glad when somebody, anybody discovers a vaccine for this virus! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    False positive Flu B?

Only thing that I cannot reconcile with this is that I have not felt a huge hit.

Although I will say it was kinda weird to have a flu season around november, then a slight lull, then flu again in february...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2020
    What's so hard to understand?

If you had what you thought was the flu and went to the doctor who did the swab test for the rapid diagnostic testing and you tested positive, what the doc said the journal article was saying was that the positive test wasn't a false positive like what is explained here:
    False-positive (and true-negative) influenza test results are more likely to occur when disease prevalence is low, which is generally at the beginning and end of the influenza season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/rapidlab.htm

He's saying that there is speculation that COVID-19 would give a positive result on a Flu test using the Rapid Diagnostic Testing as defined above and COVID-19 would cause a positive result for Flu B in the Rapid Diagnostic Testing even though you didn't have Flu B.

So if you went to the doc with all the same symptoms as COVID-19 that we know now and your doc did a flu test before we knew about COVID-19, there's a chance that your positive Flu test was a false positive and your COVID-19 infection caused that false positive.

It's only on Flu B, though, not the Flu A results.

It would explain why there was such a huge number of Flu B cases this year when Flu B is typically more rare because it's not as easily transmitted as Flu A.

This isn't verified and I'm not a doctor, I'm only going by what I heard in a conversation with doctors.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I even got a serious sinus cold. It was serious enough for my PA to prescribe a Z-pack. I think it was a mild dose. 6 pills I think it was. 2 the first day, one each the following days.

My sinuses started to drain a lot and then got better.

But then my bronchial tube and lungs started to burn. A dry burn. It only lasted about a day and a half but I WAS concerned! I haven't felt that kind-of burn in forever. It was like I breathed chlorine gas or something. A thorough burning from my neck all down into all of my lung linings. Scary! But it quickly went away and my breathing is just fine again.

Now all this started Feb. 4th or so. 2 days after the Super Bowl! :o Then this virus started to spread and the news had hourly counts of the new pos. findings in the USA. :o:o:o It had me thinking! Then each day...

I was thinking, I don't have a fever. :) ..I don't have a fever. :) ..every day for weeks. :|
    Thank God! :p

That cruise ship with some of the crew testing Pos. will be quite the lab in the coming days and weeks won't it.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Tony M wrote: »
    There's going to be A LOT of inheriting going on I guess.

Our local funeral homes and their crematories will be GOLD MINES soon. Not that they weren't already.

Now... how did S. Korea and Italy have tens of thousands of test kits for this one strand of virus and we had very little and the ones we had to begin with were supposedly faulty. Faulty?

Did they S.K. and Italy know about this strand a year ago and prepared and were ready? I'm puzzled by the tens of thousands of pos. tests in other Countries. What about the negative test results. There must be thousands and thousands of them too, right? All those test kits...and we didn't have but "I haven't heard yet how many we had that were defective" to start with.

I have an older friend who seemed to be GIDDY about relaying the bad scenarios to my email box. I kind-of let him have it today but in a respectful way. I also asked him some questions and he didn't answer them. And I was looking forward to his reasoning and actions over this stock market frenzy and gloom and doom he seems to like projecting to me.

I'll sure be glad when somebody, anybody discovers a vaccine for this virus! ;)

I think it may be because WHO manufactured and distributed a great deal of tests to the international community, but for whatever stupid reason, CDC decided to go with their own undeveloped, more complicated, maybe superior test, which had some early difficulties due to faulty manufacturing processes in the lab in Atlanta that was making them. Their arrogance in refusing the WHO tests until they could get their own going was a major F*U* that probably cost us all dearly.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BlueFox
    850+ cases, and 27 deaths in US as of Tuesday, 3/10/20. To be honest, I don’t understand the current closures of schools, government agencies, and businesses for two weeks, or until the end of March. It is just going to get worse by the end of March.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Viking64 wrote: »
    yzrtihkxkh8v.gif

Feel free....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Feel free....

Have your tears dried up yet?
  • daddyjt
    Viking64 wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Feel free....

Have your tears dried up yet?

?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    At this rate ,i'll have the virus before the L800's ,Western Australia. W.A Wait Awhile .
  • daddyjt
    Better day today for the DOW. I will say though, I disagree with the hints being given to possibly subsidize the airlines and cruise industry...

h1dy2d17ncml.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    ^^ and oil producers and the hospitality industry.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    Probably only temporary. As more and more people get this virus the economy will really go south.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BlueFox
    This was on another forum, and I assume it is accurate. Basically, it shows exponential growth of the virus infections.

nlv8seqvcy71.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
This discussion has been closed.