Cary SLP-05 in Verb's House!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Did she know you owned it before the repair was needed?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    Did she know you owned it before the repair was needed?

Of course! After it had landed, and some time passed! :wink: She was with me too when I dropped it off!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    One more thing, another testimony to the fact that the Mrs will always find out. She gave me the look when I put 4K worth of insurance on it! Busted! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Mine will too. :s
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Bummer! Let us know your impressions once it is broken in.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I put a note on the door that I am home and to knock loud so they can't lie.

Same here with the note. Some of our heavy wine orders (12 bottles) that require a signature are not brought to the door if it is late in the day. We suspect the driver is "tired".

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • verb
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I put a note on the door that I am home and to knock loud so they can't lie.

Same here with the note. Some of our heavy wine orders (12 bottles) that require a signature are not brought to the door if it is late in the day. We suspect the driver is "tired".

Harry

So I decided to divert the delivery to a local FedEx office about a couple of miles away. Got an email that it is ready for pickup! Long day today at work, I'm beat, so I plan to pick it up tomorrow! :smile:
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    COngrats man!

Let me know how you like it!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    I'm in with 41

Isn't this a karma, Dave?, lol

Congrats on the upgrade! Looking forward to your impressions!

• verb
    A little disappointed as I asked for new outer boxes, but I won’t let that temper my excitement! :smile:jp3uuqgjoe6o.jpeg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, it's been 25 minutes.....how do they sound? :p

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Still in the car Tom! Running errands! :smile:
  • verb
    Unboxing. Nice to see them wrapped in visqueen to protect the surfaces even in the bag.
    vr7ucc3mn201.jpeg
  • verb
    She’s alive! :smile:
    kc0adrwbplmr.jpeg
    w04i6d5yzki4.jpeg
  • verb
    Found this group on Tidal. Maiden voyage. Incredible bass! 😀
    o2uh0nv47pml.jpeg
  • verb
    Also decided to run my new Silnote Morpheus ref2 XLR’s from the NS to the Cary.
    w2acv29n9qyj.jpeg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    verb wrote: »
    Also decided to run my new Silnote Morpheus ref2 XLR’s from the NS to the Cary.
    w2acv29n9qyj.jpeg

Very nice Dave! Don’t change too many variables at once so you can pick out the differences for before and after the upgrade by Cary :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    Yep. Put the Sophie’s back in for that reason as well.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Did they include "better" tubes with this upgrade? Down the road, if you were to upgrade the power cables to something like PSA AC-10 or AC-5, for this preamp, that would be a good upgrade as well.

This is looking great. Enjoy! Do let us know what differences you see between this vs the original one.
  • verb
    No tubes included! They in fact, wanted me to ship a set of tubes with the unit but I decided against it, as I'll be rolling tubes soon! Right now, the Sophie's you sent me sound great! That's my baseline. Looking forward to rolling in some NOS vintage tubes in her!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Wonderful!
    The upcoming months will transport you into sonic bliss…

In the meantime, pick yourself up a couple of good quality 5AR4s, Millard and Amperex. One of each. IMHO, nothing else will do

Then, think about that RAL umbilical

Enjoy the music, my friend! 😁
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Glad you are enjoying it and the upgrades do not disappoint. If I were to ever go tubes I think this is where I would be looking.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    verb wrote: »
    Bigger, and better than before (which was no slouch to begin with). IMO, if you are thinking about it, do it! Worth every penny! :smile:
    You're welcome. :D Phewwwww, I was hoping you wouldn't end up blaming me for prodding you into a big mistake. Really glad to see it's such a dramatic improvement. Very happy for you. Congrats!

Don't have any experience with the Cary but adding the PSA BHK Sig Pre to my system was a huge step in the right direction. As of now, no upgrades available for the BHK but hopefully, in time, someone will come up with something and I can squeeze more out of it. Have owned it for a bit over a year, so tube rolling is on the to do list.

Now...

v7g3mjzdhf34.png

...convince Joey he needs this upgrade. >:)
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good to hear.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Tony M
    Hey Dave, you said this;

Highs were extended. But what impressed me the most was the increase in detail. Here I was last night, playing familiar tunes, and hearing things, in 3D space, never heard before. Soft, tiny percussion instruments barely noticed before were now in clear view, painting a picture of what the drum kit looked like! Wow!

This is what I heard today with some Cds on those Ar58s's. The detail was amazing although a bit bright for me. Lifelike cymbals, guitar strings, piano and a lot more. Super detailed! ;)

• verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    Hey Dave, you said this;

Highs were extended. But what impressed me the most was the increase in detail. Here I was last night, playing familiar tunes, and hearing things, in 3D space, never heard before. Soft, tiny percussion instruments barely noticed before were now in clear view, painting a picture of what the drum kit looked like! Wow!

This is what I heard today with some Cds on those Ar58s's. The detail was amazing although a bit bright for me. Lifelike cymbals, guitar strings, piano and a lot more. Super detailed! ;)

Thanks Tony, the immediate improvement for me was profound. I'll keep posting more results as this baby burns in! :smile:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Very nice to hear, Dave. It's things like you had mentioned that make this hobby so fulfilling. Now, it will just get better as you roll some tubes and find the ones that truly make your system shine. Rock on brother!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Hey brother, can we get a Quickie update on how she’s sounding with the Ultimate Upgrade?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Sure Dog! Only about 3 hours on it, but loving it! All I got for now! Funny working from home has kept away from the basement rig! Hope to spend some more time this weekend! :smile: