Focal JM Lab Mezzo Utopia modification

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Cool, thanks Trey! I got notification from Hifi Collective that my order for the inductor coils has shipped. I'll look for some 2.2 ohm tweeter resistors.

Unfortunately, it may be a while before I really dive in on the upgrades. My dad is having some health issues that are taking precedence :(
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope he recovers expeditiously
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    Thanks, pal.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Now that I have gotten rid of my detour of the replacement focal domes, I decided to try the 1.2 ohm resistors again. The 2.2 ohm was very clean and clear but maybe to warm for me as I like a hint of a bite.

Reinstalled them a few hours ago and have been listening since and I can say that this is perfect, the right amount of bite and all that fuzz and break up from the new domes is 100% gone.

Good stuff 😊
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3 wrote: »
    Since the maker of diffraction be gone is no more (i guess) 0 I tracked down a similar felt sold by Grainger...

The Mezzo utopia has 2 diffraction points on the tweeter baffle where the aluminum meets the wood. There is a small lip, maybe 1/32" of an inch... I placed a 1.5" wide piece of felt at this break on each side and the difference was what I recall diffraction be gone doing. The high end really cleaned up, well worth the $10

dont worry Jody, Ill include some in your box of goodies to play with! haha

bi7ks8hok0w0.jpg

Hi, late to this thread. I also have a pair of modded Mezzo.

Wondering how the modifications are going and also if you can post a pic of the felt you used to soften the diffraction.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Hey Trey. Are these Solon caps?emcgzmc7f42n.jpg
  • VR3
    edited February 2020
    Rig is currently boxed up unfortunately.

I plan to take everything external later this year, otherwise they sound great!

I opted to get rid of the felt due to anesthetics and I use the covers when not in use
    Had some spare time and my wandering mind has been contemplating the internal wiring scenario...

Removed all of the internal wiring, except for the bass driver (can be done later)

Replaced the tweeter diaphragm with a new one I ordered from Focal a while back. Supposed to be spec for spec the same but I figured since the original has a foam surround, it cant hurt! (no ferrofluid thankfully)

The best part about this was the fact the WBT posts have never been soldered, which will make it much easier to change the main incoming wiring...

The lead plate in the bass enclosure has come loose, I am thinking about simply removing this and putting dynamat in its place....

th9hdr7n1iht.jpg
    gcfla70ufltr.jpg
    si5hfahkn6s2.jpg

g6qaaf5fq1ai.jpg
    g6s9qypn4zpq.jpg
    1rcbmmyqutfo.jpg
    8kqgl89mlzkq.jpg

Howdy.
    Is JM Lab/Focal still selling diaphragms for Mezzo's?

Here is my foam one. Some kid at a party bent off my tweeter protector. There was more than one kid at a house party otherwise I'd a smacked the little twerp. Tweeter still works but I guess I'd have to replace the whole wood box to get a new tweeter protector bar.
    20dldlbxycfb.png
  • VR3
    They do but it is not a sonic match. Very bright with resonance.

You can send the old ones back to be refoamed
    They do but it is not a sonic match. Very bright with resonance.

You can send the old ones back to be refoamed

Is the tweeter losing its proper sound producing ability?

Thanks!
  • VR3
    Frankly it sounds terrible, but it does produce sound
  • jdjohn
    Trey, what about the drop-in replacement tweeters? Not just the diaphragm.
  • VR3
    Like a full replacement with the aluminum plate and magnet? Focal only offers the Diaphragm unfortunately. The Diaphragm dome is identical but it is missing the thick coatng which prevents break up and resonance, particularly at louder volumes. It is also notably brighter
  • jdjohn
    Re-visiting all the work you did here, Trey, thinking about my own pair. Feeling overwhelmed :o If mine turn out half as good as yours...I'll be doing good! Amazing work, my friend.
  • VR3
    Thanks Jody, I look forward to your build! I plan to go external when they get back in action, should be fun!
    I meant to say, would you think that my tweeter with the messed up foam would have lost sound quality. To my ear it sounds like the other speakers tweeter but still not 100% sure. Thanks
  • jdjohn
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thanks Jody, I look forward to your build! I plan to go external when they get back in action, should be fun!
    Heck...looking at all the confined quarters with using the larger caps/etc., maybe I should go external.
    Daydreamer wrote: »
    I meant to say, would you think that my tweeter with the messed up foam would have lost sound quality. To my ear it sounds like the other speakers tweeter but still not 100% sure. Thanks
    Daydreamer, my condolences about your tweeter, but I'm a little confused by your pic. The diaphragm/inverted cone is not even there. And I think I see the two voicecoil wires loose. How does that work at all?
  • VR3
    Yeah his tweeter is shot

I have a great idea for external, we can take it to email if you want to talk it over
  • jdjohn wrote: »
    Heck...looking at all the confined quarters with using the larger caps/etc., maybe I should go external.
    Daydreamer wrote: »
    Daydreamer, my condolences about your tweeter, but I'm a little confused by your pic. The diaphragm/inverted cone is not even there. And I think I see the two voicecoil wires loose. How does that work at all?

Thanks. Really pissed me off.
    The diaphram just fell to the floor one day. The voice coils are not loose. Still connected to the inner cone which still moves in and out. I put my ear up to it and I'm pretty certain I hear the same sounds as the other speakers tweeter but it's hard to tell with the midrange right above the tweeter.

I've been lazy about calling the Audio shop where I bought the speakers and my system to get advice about the foam and cone cover. I need a new tonearm cartridge stylus so I'll be calling them soon. But it looks like a big to-do as the tweeter box would have to be removed and being that the speaker cables connect in the back, that speaker will be disabled for quite a while. I wonder if a new protective bar can be soldered to the old metal remains above and below the tweeter.
  • VR3
    I can assure you that tweeter is making no sound.

You can ship your dome and motor to focal in France and they can repair.

This is the focal rep, he is awesome

m.rousseau@focal-naim.com
  • VR3
    To remove the tweeter you remove the back plate and there are wing nuts that connect to threaded rod. Remove the wing nuts and it comes right out, takes maybe 10 minutes.

You will have to desolder or cut the wires at the tweeter and solder on install
  • Daydreamer
    Daydreamer Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    To remove the tweeter you remove the back plate and there are wing nuts that connect to threaded rod. Remove the wing nuts and it comes right out, takes maybe 10 minutes.

You will have to desolder or cut the wires at the tweeter and solder on install

Thanks VR3. So, the wood box that houses the tweeter remains in place and the tweeter slides out in an assembly/board?

Once I get around to disconnecting that, I'll email the Focal rep. I appreciate your help.
  • VR3
    Yes, the back panel with the connections is removable, I've you remove you will see how to remove the tweeter
    Yes, the back panel with the connections is removable, I've you remove you will see how to remove the tweeter

Great. Thanks!
    Like a full replacement with the aluminum plate and magnet? Focal only offers the Diaphragm unfortunately. The Diaphragm dome is identical but it is missing the thick coatng which prevents break up and resonance, particularly at louder volumes. It is also notably brighter

did you measure the frequency response? it is possible for the param to be different than the Ti Oxide dome. Did you try the new dome before the mods are done?
  • Daydreamer wrote: »

Howdy.
    Is JM Lab/Focal still selling diaphragms for Mezzo's?

Here is my foam one. Some kid at a party bent off my tweeter protector. There was more than one kid at a house party otherwise I'd a smacked the little twerp. Tweeter still works but I guess I'd have to replace the whole wood box to get a new tweeter protector bar.
    20dldlbxycfb.png

so sorry to hear that. my kid pushed the dust cap of my mezzo in and it took me years to realize that the cap can be replaced. I was so mad. Nowadays, no small kids allowed or I will make sure the wood covers are on.
  • VR3
    I didn't take frequency sweeps, the fact they brought physical pain to my ears was enough. Putting the old domes back in restored the highs to normal levels with zero distortion

• [/quote]

so sorry to hear that. my kid pushed the dust cap of my mezzo in and it took me years to realize that the cap can be replaced. I was so mad. Nowadays, no small kids allowed or I will make sure the wood covers are on.
    [/quote]

Smart!

I sure wish I could upgrade the crossovers like you talented guys do....

Here's the tweeter on my other speaker. Does it look proper?
    d5231pimgehz.png