Velodyne DD10 Plus VS JL Audio F110 V2

Ok,
I know I'm going though something as I'm testing Subwoofers again. I have a mental amount of subwoofers that I own and I figured why not break out the DD10 Plus and see how they compare to the JL Audio.
6dm04ol5oijs.jpeg
So I'm putting the DD 10 Plus though it's paces and it's an incredible sounding woofer. I have another but I took down one of the JL's and Tried a side wall placement instead of 2 front placements and see how they react in the room, recalibrate and see how these 2 bad boys stand on their own.
The JL's is super fast as I said before and hits hard down to 22hz and then starts to lose output. The Veolydne I have not run sweeps yet but it's also incredibly fast and blends into the system so nicely even just running one for now. Price wise they are only a few hundred buck apart so I'm not worried about apples to apples compare here like if and when I bring in SVS into this picture.
So far I'm not favoring one over the other as of yet except I like the Mic better on the Velodyne for Internal calibration and it has a video out which It's been so long since I had these working. On screen to see the peaks and dips and the correction is fantastic. JL just does a 3 minute sweep applies a bass correction and away you go.

I have been using Definitive Technology Mythos ST towers for so many years and I own so many subwoofer and don't use any of them. The Sub's in the ST Towers are so good I never felt the need to add sub's to the room. My Bass was plenty and full so all my subwoofers just sit Once in a while I go down to my stock and pull one or 2 out and try to see if I like them better then the ST Sub's and never really feel I gained anything.

Now that my ST Tower sub is broke and in for repair AND I'm using a pair of book shelf speakers for mains for now I'm finding this time to play( As I usually do LOL).
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    So who knew about Velodyne being purchased? I just learned it on their website.
    https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/
    Dan
  • mantis
    After having the Velodyne DD 10 Plus setup as a single sub in my room 1/2 down the side wall and calibrated to the room damn near perfectly, I'm noticing a few things it does vs the JL Fathom F110 V2. Both of these subs running in a single sub setup fill the room with warm fast tight bass and cut out as fast as they start up. It's weird they both perform damn near exactly the same. It's almost like they are just in different cabinets which as also super close in size.

What's funny about fooling around with 10 inch subs yeah I know these are some high end 10 inches but man they seem to be tighter then the bigger driver subs I'm use to. Like my Definitive Technology Mythos ST towers which are might fast clean and very room filling. Un fair in one sense unless I run pairs and the placement of the Mythos ST is exactly at the Left and Right main positions of the room. My room is no way good for acoustic layout as I have high ceilings 14 feet and open to a Dining room Kitchen and the hall way back to the Bedrooms. Pressure is difficult in there but still has an amazing sound.

Bigger woofers I have 12 inch and 15 inch models seem to hang much longer and bloat. Again Not on the same level as these 2 so I guess way un fair to judge. I would have to bring home a Fathom F112 or F113 to compare speed depth and room filling warm bass.

I would never spend that much on 2 subs in my room as I'm so far away from getting the most out of them. I put 2 F110 V2's in a Theater room and they sounded worlds better then in my room.

I'm in the holding position on what I'm gonna do for fronts or a totally new system with Monitor Audio or trying to buy a pair of Mythos 10's and mount them to the wall for mains and run 2 Subs in the room. I may end up just fixing the other Velodyne DD10 plus as it has a bad amp. Running those 2 bad boys I'm really loving how damn good the DD's are especially vs the JL's which for a few hundred bucks less your not losing anything. I don't even think you could honestly pick a winner based on sheer performance alone. The setup, the Mic the video out on the Velodyne I like much better then the JL. I like the cabinet a lot to it has cool wood grain through the gloss black finish. Looks badass.

Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    mantis wrote: »
    So who knew about Velodyne being purchased? I just learned it on their website.
    https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/

I posted about that a few months ago.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited February 2020
    I forgot about that
    Dan
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Dan, never owned a JL sub, but liked my two little Velo 8" subs. Tight, fast and the room correction was spot on. They just didn't have the umph I was looking for in my room. Still, a solid choice for smaller rooms. I know those DDs pack a wallop.
  • mantis
    The Room Correction software that comes with the DD Plus is awesome. The Mic is much better quality then the JL.
    The DD's are impressive, they where when they came out many years ago. I'd like to see them make a comeback in the market.
    Dan
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I had planned on putting 2x Velodyne DD18s in my HT, but after hooking one up, there is ZERO need for the second. This one coasts along at volume “30” (out of 100), and still rattles everything upstairs.

I always thought 18” subs were slow and sloppy, but the servo changes all that - this thing is lightning quick, and very nimble - but it will drop the hammer in a heartbeat...

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the other one I acquired for the room...

BTW, the room is still a work in progress - next project on the docket is building a custom rack for the components...

x6i68o3b32wd.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Sounds like ya need to sell it! 😉
  • mantis
    As much as 1 sub seems to cover they usually have dips in the room due to only 1 source of bass energy. It's just acoustics not the woofer. Placing the other sub in the room and correctly balancing them together will give you a smoother more accurate response over more seating locations. One sub can do one seat very well.
    Dan
  • mantis
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Sounds like ya need to sell it! 😉
    The DD 18 is a beast. Shipping will cost a pretty penny. But well worth it. Curious if he sells what he asks.

Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited February 2020
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I had planned on putting 2x Velodyne DD18s in my HT, but after hooking one up, there is ZERO need for the second. This one coasts along at volume “30” (out of 100), and still rattles everything upstairs.

I always thought 18” subs were slow and sloppy, but the servo changes all that - this thing is lightning quick, and very nimble - but it will drop the hammer in a heartbeat...

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the other one I acquired for the room...

BTW, the room is still a work in progress - next project on the docket is building a custom rack for the components...

x6i68o3b32wd.jpeg

Put it in the back opposite corner on the surrounds. I ran my HT that way and it made a huge difference.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    daddyjt wrote: »
    ...but the servo changes all that...
    It absolutely does.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    I'm not sure if I'm gonna put them back in storage when the ST amp gets here or sell them. Maybe just one . Anyone looking for a 10 inch super tight super musical sub? It's in near new condition. I have a super light scratch surface that I bet I could get out with some polish. It's light in the clear coat. Other then that it's in perfect shape.
    Dan
  • I very much like your HT layout. It’s uncluttered. Do you have overhead atmos speakers? Can’t tell from the photo. I’m building my HT room now and trying to guess at the eventual speaker locations, to build them in. I have and plan for two velodyne servo controlled HGS 15s one for the front one for the back. My room is oddly shaped but large enough (24’ wide by 33’ long). Unfortunately since I’m building in the attic, I have a 14’ ceiling center with sloping ceiling sides that taper down to 6’ tall side walls to contend with. With your experience, do you know or have you heard if this shape has an affect on the sub performance? In an effort to smooth out the bass I have bass traps planed for the front and rear walls. Guessing here, I’ve added two 10” velodyne wi-connect subs to the left and right side walls to even out possible subwoofer response problems caused by side wall reflections. The wi-connects have the ability to be moved all around since they’re wireless. Two months ago my system was 11.2.6. But because I can’t leave well enough alone and I have insightful nightmares it’s now 11.4.8. Adding the Dolby atmos overhead speakers to my ceiling shape was to say the least ‘a bugger’. The “final solution” can’t happen until everything’s in its place. Does anyone have actual experience with a Dolby atmos .8 speaker layout?
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    though not in the same league as the velodyne and JL audio. Polk released the DSW microPRO series long ago. The 3000 having the 10” sweetspot, 1200w/2400w peak and Polk Room Optimization (PRO).

• Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine