Cut the damn cord

Hello all,
I finally pulled the plug and cut the cord. I love it. No more cable bill. I dropped my bill down to $112 a month I get Youtube TV and 500/500 Internet service with Verizon. I'm paying for 400/400 but it clocks constantly over 500 each test.
Youtube TV is a breeze and super simple to use. For Free for a month then $49.99 a month which is included in my $112 bill each month. Picture quality is about the same as Verizon, the sound quality however is only Stereo so back to using DSP modes until they upgrade to DD or DD plus or Atmos or whatever is coming. For now it's just Stereo which honestly I'm completely cool with. We don't watch much TV and when I do I can live with Stereo with DSP running to juice it up If I so choose.

I feel like a weight was lifted off my back.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• I switched to YouTube TV last April and I'm never going back. I had to buy 3 Roku sticks at $30 each because my TVs are older and not "Smart TVs". I can also watch on my phone or laptop.

I also have a condo in Florida and I brought a couple of the Roku stcks with me for the winter. I can watch YouTube TV down here without any additional charges. I'm able to watch the local channels from up north while in Florida on the TVs, but I get the local Florida stations if I watch on my phone or laptop.

I was also able to add my son to the account without additional charges, and he lives 20 miles away from my northern home. My cable bill including internet service was $177 without any premium channels. I was told it was going up by $30 this past November. The $50 for YouTube TV plus $75 for internet is a nice savings. I put the internet service on hold for 3 months up north and am paying $40 per month for internet here in Florida. It's a seasonal rate which I can put on hold when I return home in the spring.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2020
    Agree 100%. We're saving $110/mo over DirecTV---errr, I mean AT&T TV. We use YouTubeTV supplemented with FrndlyTV to get Hallmark and Sportsman channels. We also have always run Netflix, and we get Amazon Prime video by default. We also run FREE PlutoTV to fill in a few more blanks.

This setup also allows me to stream Amazon Music HD on the patio/pool rig and my shop rig. I have the Blue sound Node 2i streaming it in the main rig.

I have 4 Firestick HD, 1 Firestick 4k, and 1 Roku in a guest bedroom. I don't care for the apps on the TV's, the firesticks are far more smooth and responsive.
    Post edited by steveinaz on
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Hmmm... since retiring from AT&T, DirecTV quadrupled from ~$36 to over 160! They offered me retiree discounts - $152🤪

We’re Dish customers now @~$82😊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • steveinaz
    Yep---did the same crap to us after being LONG time DirecTV customers. Screw AT&T.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lmacmil
    lmacmil Posts: 119
    I left Comcast cable 4 years ago. The only thing I miss (and only slightly) is ESPN. I get all the major networks OTA and between Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, there's more than enough TV to watch. As my better half likes to point out, most of the stuff on the majors and cable is "crap" anyway!
  • Fifty bucks for YouTube TV?!? What the crap do they have that's worth that?? About the same price gets me Apple Music, Prime Video, Disney Plus and CBS All Access, or like any other five streaming services, and everything on normal YouTube...It's hard to imagine $50 is a good value, what am I missing?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Good for you! We've only had cable once in our marriage, early on, and it was only "basic cable". Only had it for about 6 months and haven't had any cable/satellite for the last, almost 27 years!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Wooooow, 27 years, well done! I feel I'm a better person for it, you? :lol:
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Verizon is running a special now. Get Fios internet and get one month of Youtube TV for free. Strange world when the cable company asks a competitor to take part of its customer base away from it.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I've thought about cutting the cord... or satellite link, as it is. However, there are no convenient streaming options for me for baseball. So, I've taken to calling DirecTV and asking for a discount. Three years ago, they offered me $50/month for 2 years. When that expired, I called back and told them I wanted to do better than that, and they offered me $70 a month for one year. That's more than half off. I do, however, also pay AT&T for 6 wireless phone lines, so they still get plenty of money from me...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Cut the cord here too... dumped ATT U-verse and DTV. Now we have Spectrum internet with their online TV services, Disney+, and CBS All-Access for less than 100 a month. 65 channels through Spectrum....

I have an antenna adapter coming for my Xbox One S for the local channels and we will be all set.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited February 2020
    Fifty bucks for YouTube TV?!? What the crap do they have that's worth that?? About the same price gets me Apple Music, Prime Video, Disney Plus and CBS All Access, or like any other five streaming services, and everything on normal YouTube...It's hard to imagine $50 is a good value, what am I missing?

I get over 80 channels including my local channels, 2 Cleveland Fox Sports and 2 Philly NBC Sports channels. I get to watch all the Cavs, Indians, Sixers, and Flyers games. Also, TNT, multiple ESPN channels, NBA TV, Golf Channel, etc. Obviously, there are some crap channels I don't watch, but I also get unlimited DVR, Roku channel, Netflix access, Prime Video access and On Demand. When I joined, there was a 7 day free trial. I believe it might be a month now. No contract either. I can watch it wherever I go, including in Florida where my winter residence is located. I can also watch on my laptop, tablet, or phone.

Go to their website and enter your zip code to see all that is offered to you, or do a Google search.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• steveinaz
    edited February 2020
    ^ Exactly.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Doesn't your internet price go up then if you don't have a bundle?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    erniejade wrote: »

We can't cancel our home phone or our cable/ internet $$ goes up. Makes no friggin sense...
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I recently eliminated basic cable from my Cox Communication bundle (one home land line, mid-speed internet 150, and basic cable was $152.XX /month. ) Now without the cable, leaving just phone and internet I pay $110.XX/month. I'm happy with the Amazon fire 4K device and the HD over the air ~26 channels.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288

We can't cancel our home phone or our cable/ internet $$ goes up. Makes no friggin sense...

Exactly! I was looking to cut the cord but comcast gave me 300 mbps + hd basic for 90 a month. I asked what about just internet alone for the same speed and they said it would be like 80 a month. I chose the basic for the extra 10$.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited February 2020
    Yes, it does.

I don’t bundle, but have Spectrum internet, so $70 for just one service. I get spam in the mail regularly, so from memory it would cost $110 for basic cable, unlimited domestic phone and internet. They really want you to bundle all three, but U-verse does the same thing.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Fifty bucks for YouTube TV?!? What the crap do they have that's worth that?? About the same price gets me Apple Music, Prime Video, Disney Plus and CBS All Access, or like any other five streaming services, and everything on normal YouTube...It's hard to imagine $50 is a good value, what am I missing?

I get over 80 channels including my local channels, 2 Cleveland Fox Sports and 2 Philly NBC Sports channels. I get to watch all the Cavs, Indians, Sixers, and Flyers games. Also, TNT, multiple ESPN channels, NBA TV, Golf Channel, etc. Obviously, there are some crap channels I don't watch, but I also get unlimited DVR, Roku channel, Netflix access, Prime Video access and On Demand. When I joined, there was a 7 day free trial. I believe it might be a month now. No contract either. I can watch it wherever I go, including in Florida where my winter residence is located. I can also watch on my laptop, tablet, or phone.

Go to their website and enter your zip code to see all that is offered to you, or do a Google search.

Did not know it included all that! Did a zip code search, nothing that interests me beyond what I have now, but I can definitely see the appeal. Superficially it looks similar to what Apple TV wants to be, however I bet YouTube has such a massive lead AppleTV will eventually go away. If Jobs hand't died I bet he would have all YouTubeTV's customers, seemed he wanted to do something similar once upon a time. That was the idea I got from some things he said anyway.

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• erniejade wrote: »

I never had the phone service. Since dropping cable, my Spectrun internet went from $70 to $75, but it was going to go up anyway. I have Xfinity at my Florida residence for only $40 for the same speed. I can put either service on hold when I'm at my alternate residence.
    Main System:

Home Theater:

• steveinaz
    My cable internet (Cox ultimate 150) runs seperate from my Satellite TV. I didn't need to upgrade my broadband to stream TV.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    We live in a rural area of Idaho and I have a high gain TV antenna pointed at our largest regional city. With HD over-the-air we get every major network plus other stuff, three PBS stations etc. The bonus with the antenna is fabulous FM reception from some weak but excellent university stations. In addition we stream Netflix. Works well for us, but we don't watch sports very much. Maybe we are Luddites.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • steveinaz
    FrndlyTV has added Curiousity Stream to it's line up. Nice! Noticed this morning.