So -- here's a weird Vanilla thing

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited February 2020 in Forum Testing Area
I've noticed something odd about this forum the last few days... I wanted to flag it as (IMO) an issue, although I suspect it's just the aftermath of a s/w update ('continuous improvement' and all that...).

Preface: I don't know if many other folks do this, but I usually use the "Recent Discussions" view to look at... umm... recent discussions. This view has always had issues, but now it has a new one. Historically, any thread with a "new" post to it would be flagged -- but "new" meant one added by another poster, not the person looking at the "Recent Discussions".

Recently (heh), I have noticed that threads to which I have 'recently' posted show a new post flag, but the only new post is mine. This doesn't add a lot of value. In fact, it subtracts value, 'cause I'll click on a thread and see my own stupid drivel at the 'end' of the thread! ;)

That didn't use [or is that used?] to happen.
Does anyone know why this may have occurred and (more to the point) if it can be fixed?
@AlmaGarcia or @KennethSwauger perhaps?

See screenshot below :)

Thanks!

4gne36g71vp2.png

Comments

• I noticed that recently as well. Also if you check your own thread for comments it shouldn't increase the # of views for the thread, which is another bug in the software.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yep I noticed that as well. Ur not crazy doc! Or at least this isn’t proof lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I noticed it. Can you PLEASE stop using italic font. It really makes your posts difficult to read. Thank you.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I noticed it. Can you PLEASE stop using italic font. It really makes your posts difficult to read. Thank you.

Is that a phone thing?
    They look fine on a laptop.
    EDITED I decided I am not as grumpy as I sounded earlier today. :|
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    As a reminder, Mark, you will still be required to use italics when referring to song titles, or other creative works :po:)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited February 2020
    I do not find any problems with your use of italic font on phone/mobile as 95% if my time here is in the mobile site.

Bud has gotten a little cantankerous in his retirement.

And yes completely agree that the vanilla site has been in constant flux of messed up for months now.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2020
    I don’t mind italics for phone numbers, or for song titles. My issue is when they are used indiscriminately throughout text for no apparent reason. They hurt my eyes using the iPad Mini. :)

Also, I don’t believe in ignore lists.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited February 2020
    msg wrote: »
    It's Asterissssssk, not Asterix.
    Dumb, redneck Vermonters tend to say "A$$ TRICK". :p

waj4a4py6nbg.jpg

• Viking64
    Jstas wrote: »
    everyone is a pack of pansies anymore.

Your use of the word "anymore" here doesn't make sense. It should only be used in a negative context, such as: "I don't like you anymore." Also, it should never be used at the beginning of a sentence, such as: "Anymore I like pizza" or even "Anymore I don't like pizza."

Anyone that does this should be shot in the neck.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited February 2020
    Viking64 wrote: »
    everyone is a pack of pansies anymore.

Your use of the word "anymore" here doesn't make sense. It should only be used in a negative context, such as: "I don't like you anymore." Also, it should never be used at the beginning of a sentence, such as: "Anymore I like pizza" or even "Anymore I don't like pizza."

Anyone that does this should be shot in the neck.

You are the weakest grammar **** I know.

BTW:

an·y·more
    /ˌenēˈmôr/

adverb
    to any further extent; any longer.
    "she refused to listen anymore" <-- same usage from Webster's.

To say that "...people are a bunch of pansies anymore" is to say that they can't be a greater pansy than they are now. They have reached the furthest extent of being a pansy. To which I will likely be shown the folly of my statement as someone, somewhere will be a greater pansy beyond the current extent that we are witnessing and thereby proving my statement inaccurate.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Viking64

BTW:

an·y·more
    /ˌenēˈmôr/

adverb

To say that "...people are a bunch of pansies anymore" is to say that they can't be a greater pansy than they are now. They have reached the furthest extent of being a pansy. To which I will likely be shown the folly of my statement as someone, somewhere will be a greater pansy beyond the current extent that we are witnessing and thereby proving my statement inaccurate.

I must be the only grammar asterisk you know, then.

Write another 5000-word dissertation about how angry my post made you. :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Viking64 wrote: »

BTW:

an·y·more
    /ˌenēˈmôr/

adverb

I must be the only grammar asterisk you know, then.

Write another 5000-word dissertation about how angry my post made you. :p

I could do it in just two...

POUND SAND!!! :p

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    I could do it in just two...

POUND SAND!!! :p

Yeah, but that doesn't begin to describe the level of extreme butthurt he experiences online. :p
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Not even close to the amount of butthurt you experience in real life jim/my/bo?? wtf??
  • Viking64
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Not even close to the amount of butthurt you experience in real life jim/my/bo?? wtf??

I don't. What's your point, Jethro?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    I like italics.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    oingGay orwardfay allyay exttay allshay ebay ypedtay inyay igpay atinlay!
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    jdjohn wrote: »
    As a reminder, Mark, you will still be required to use italics when referring to song titles, or other creative works :po:)

... and borrowed terms from other languages, of course. I shall consult my Manual of Style to ensure I don't botch up any ad hoc italic applications.

Thanks for the reminder! B)
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    oingGay orwardfay allyay exttay allshay ebay ypedtay inyay igpay atinlay!

eWay on'tday avehay a ontfay orfay atthay, oughthay.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

Really? I find it helps me get inside his head, just a little. Of course, if I hang around there too long, I just start feeling dumb. :p
  • mdaudioguy
    And, darn if I didn't post that and go right back to "Recent Discussions," to see that there's a new post! And, darn if it wasn't mine...
  • mdaudioguy
    Hey! 1 new post, again!
  • mhardy6647
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Really? I find it helps me get inside his head, just a little. Of course, if I hang around there too long, I just start feeling like John Malkovich. :p

Fixed that for you. B)
  • mhardy6647
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Hey! 1 new post, again!

Now we're talkin' Groundhog Day.

https://youtu.be/OyBSrBqogPY
  • Viking64
    msg wrote: »
    I have a friend who uses "anymore" similarly as above. He's the human equivalent of a big slobbery yellow lab, so I don't have the heart to say anything about it, and just pat him on the head and let him hang his head out the window.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have found the closer one gets to Cuba, the more prevalent this is. :o

Now, the whole "The floor needs mopped" silliness, as opposed to "The floor needs to be mopped" or "The floor needs mopping", I find tends to be concentrated around West Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania.....anymore. :p