Why are people suddenly using their phones like this??

Did I miss a memo? Seems everywhere I go now, people can’t hold their phone to the side of their heads (like we’ve done for decades now).

No, they have it on speaker, and hold it horizontally out in front of their face, so everyone is gifted with hearing their inane conversation... just. Stop.

nt644ciay1pj.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Or video chat... I feel your pain men.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Mine's turned off unless I need to use it for something.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I went to Batman: The Dark Knight this chick wouldn't shut up so I gave her an Abe Lincoln.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I'm in a restaurant....
    I and a few others around don't give a rat's patootie about your life.
    Take it off speaker please. Irks me to no end.

Agreed! I like going over and sitting next to them laughing hysterically at everything said.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Did I miss a memo? Seems everywhere I go now, people can’t hold their phone to the side of their heads (like we’ve done for decades now).

No, they have it on speaker, and hold it horizontally out in front of their face, so everyone is gifted with hearing their inane conversation... just. Stop.

nt644ciay1pj.jpeg

Instead of talking to here Hershey bar, why doesn't she just dig in? :p
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I went to Batman: The Dark Knight this chick wouldn't shut up so I gave her an Abe Lincoln.

Should have offered her a Clinton instead. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • I walk around with AirPods on work calls all the time, I think people think I am the crazy guy talking to myself 🤣🤣🤣
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited February 2020
    daddyjt wrote: »

nt644ciay1pj.jpeg

Because it's all about them. They're important. They matter. Their lives are so full while yours is not, and they want to make sure you know how pathetic your existence is.

I'll take my little clamshell thank you very much.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I've yet to see someone holding thier phone that way. I'm not cell phone guy and stay far away from the millenial hangouts where they all sit around and probably all hold thier phones this way. What can one accomplish holding a phone that way except for getting a serious case of carpal tunnel?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I think that style of listening to your cell phone was glorified by none other than the Kardashians.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think that style of listening to your cell phone was glorified by none other than the Kardashians.

Who?

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    halen wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Who?

I think they make those Kardash audio cables.

:#
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I've yet to see someone holding thier phone that way. I'm not cell phone guy and stay far away from the millenial hangouts where they all sit around and probably all hold thier phones this way. What can one accomplish holding a phone that way except for getting a serious case of carpal tunnel?

I don’t frequent millennial hangouts either - I see this walking through just about any store, I see it when people are driving, and I see it in restaurants.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Millennial's are approaching 40 years old. The only place I'm hanging out is at home and I definitely don't put my conversations on speaker phone.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • I’ve been seeing people on the Metro subway here in DC do that for years. They put the phone up to their ears to listen to what the other person is saying and then turn it down like you see in the pic by the op to talk INSTEAD of keeping it at their ear 👂??????? Then sometimes you can hear the other person yelling at them trying to get a word in edgewise because the damn phone is away from their ear!!
    If you try to say something to these ghetto arse people then you got an argument on your hands!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited February 2020
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    rpf65 wrote: »
    In general, I’ve found the more people I ignore, the happier I am.

Best post of the thread right here. Lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I hold conference calls quite a bit with this option. Usually there are other people around me partaking in the calls.

She apparently has no friends...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I hate Vanilla!!!!!!!

I was just typing a comment when @afterburnt posted his causing Vanilla to refresh the page dumping my comment before I could post mine. :angry:@afterburnt not your fault.

F**K Vanilla :rage::rage:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    gimpod wrote: »
    I hate Vanilla!!!!!!!

I was just typing a comment when @afterburnt posted his causing Vanilla to refresh the page dumping my comment before I could post mine. :angry:@afterburnt not your fault.

Tony,
    I told Bruce to shut up

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    gimpod wrote: »
    I hate Vanilla!!!!!!!

Vanilla is erratic. I use an iPad Mini 99% of the time, and a lot of posts occur while I am one finger typing a response, and the new posts don’t affect my response.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • I don't like them because most of them like an old man that looks like Scrooge.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Vanilla has been glitchy the last week. I've experienced Tony's problem twice in the last few days.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2020