Polk L200 Speaker Demo Reviews

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2020
    The L200's have landed at my home as of 5:15pm. They arrived in good shape and are hooked up and playing now. They are being fed by my Carver Statement Monoblocks, Pass Labs X0.2, Krell Evolution 505 SACD player. Cables are Audioquest Meteor 12ft Double BiWire, Audiquest WEL RCA from amps to preamp and Audioquest MacKenzie from the Krell to the preamp.

Initial impressions are that they image quite well, and present a tightly focused center image. They seem to disappear with a pretty deep and holographic soundstage... They also seem to LOVE some power being fed their way.

More to come over the next few days...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    So they sound fantastic on insanely good equipment... You suck.

Edit: That's just what I was thinking out loud John. Looking forward to your review...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    First night is in the bag. I will be doing some tweaking of placement tomorrow, but so far they are sounding ok.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkii vs Polk L200

Great review & thank you for listing some tracks I can listen to on my speakers (as well as what you were looking for specifically with each track!).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @rooftop59 Solid review thank you!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I just kinda got lost and played several LP's, and the 200's were delivering all that good Analog Tone, Exceptionally Well.

Don't ya' just love it when that happens?

BTW, nice write up for not being a pen to paper kinda guy. B)

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I just kinda got lost and played several LP's, and the 200's were delivering all that good Analog Tone, Exceptionally Well.

Don't ya' just love it when that happens?

BTW, nice write up for not being a pen to paper kinda guy. B)

Tom

I do, and Thank You

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Excellent review. You made me realize I should have played some Knopfler with Ruth Moody when I had them. They sure look good in your set-up too!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice review...you seemed to really enjoy your time with them. Btw....super nice system you have there. Congrats man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike Reeter
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice review...you seemed to really enjoy your time with them. Btw....super nice system you have there. Congrats man.

Thanks Tony! Like I said, I haven't had a lot of experience with other brands and types of speakers. I did try a pair of Dynaudio Contour S3.4LE's a couple of years ago. They had a wonderful Tone to them, but nothing outside of the Speakers. I like W-I-D-E Stereo and the Concert Hall presentation that SDA's provide. The Upgraded SDA's are still revealing any changes I've made in the Upstream Gear.

The L200's were a "Fresh Breath of Air" in my system, and I really enjoyed my time with them. But they are no replacement for their Older Brothers.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, Mike, nice review. I'll echo the sentiment above. You're too modest...you provided a thoughtful and informative presentation of your experience.

Your music choices and gear are similar to some of mine. I have 3.1tl's, 4.1tl's and MIT S1's so will be a like comparison. My PSA stack, IMHO, is pretty good and I've found the SDA's to scale very well as my gear's improved. I have similar hopes for the 200's.

Your observations on the 198 vs new tweeter are intriguing. I'm also very interested in evaluating the mids. Like you, I've found conventional speakers leave me underwhelmed when compared to SDA soundstage. I've gone on record saying the only way I'd get rid of the 1.2tl's in my primary system is if Polk created a better SDA, but, unfortunately, I have no dealers close to me so it'll be a challenge to hear the 800's anytime soon. At the very least, my time with the 200's will give me a taste of what the 800's might offer.

Based on your experience I'm looking forward to my turn with them. Thanks again for the review.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mike Reeter
    JayCee wrote: »
    Thanks, Mike, nice review. I'll echo the sentiment above. You're too modest...you provided a thoughtful and informative presentation of your experience.

Your music choices and gear are similar to some of mine. I have 3.1tl's, 4.1tl's and MIT S1's so will be a like comparison. My PSA stack, IMHO, is pretty good and I've found the SDA's to scale very well as my gear's improved. I have similar hopes for the 200's.

Your observations on the 198 vs new tweeter are intriguing. I'm also very interested in evaluating the mids. Like you, I've found conventional speakers leave me underwhelmed when compared to SDA soundstage. I've gone on record saying the only way I'd get rid of the 1.2tl's in my primary system is if Polk created a better SDA, but, unfortunately, I have no dealers close to me so it'll be a challenge to hear the 800's anytime soon. At the very least, my time with the 200's will give me a taste of what the 800's might offer.

Based on your experience I'm looking forward to my turn with them. Thanks again for the review.

John

Thank you John, I think you will enjoy the L200's. Their scale is no where near the SDA's, but still an enjoyable experience.

The one thing that stood out most to me was how "Intimate" the 200's were. I felt they did a good job at conveying the Artist emotions.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Excellent write-up Mike! I really appreciate you listing the specific tracks you listened to while evaluating the speakers.

You are most welcome and I would be more than happy to have you over again any time. I enjoyed it as well!

You are correct in that the first thing that stood out to me (and the Mrs) was the forward vocal presentation of the L200's. That was a treat.

If I didn't say it in my review, I know I said it in a PM to Jesse - thank you, good sir, for putting this demo together!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Here’s hoping for a Legend SDA-CRS!
  • Mike Reeter
    dromunds wrote: »
    Excellent review. You made me realize I should have played some Knopfler with Ruth Moody when I had them. They sure look good in your set-up too!

With Nigel Hitchcocks work on the Sax, Mark's usual Guitar excellence and Ruth at the mike, it's one of my favorites from that LP.
    dromunds wrote: »
    Here’s hoping for a Legend SDA-CRS!

Wouldn't that be something, one can only hope!

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Great review Mike!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    One thing not discussed a bunch in the reviews so far is the redesigned Power Port on the back of the speaker. This is showing itself to perhaps be the most significant element of the new speaker, at least in my listening. It allows that speaker to perform as a modified dipole.... more to come.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    What redesigned power port???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    "Enhanced Power Port Design: Extending the low-end, the upgraded Power Port technology produces less port noise and more bass than traditionally ported loudspeakers. Polk Audio improved the traditional Power Port design by smoothing out the port flare, which offers a smoother transition into the listening area and adds multiple dBs of bass response."
  • F1nut
    Yeah ok, whatever. Looks like the same old power port to me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    F1nut wrote: »

It’s not... today I thought my surround was on, so I walked up to my center channel to check. Nothing, but I did hear sound from behind the speaker. It was nearly full range sound, and at about twenty percent of the volume of what was coming from the front side. I have only heard dipoles do that little trick.

They have been placed about three feet from my back wall, and the center point of the sound field comes from about two feet behind the front plane of the speakers and extends forward 4 feet into the room, The rear power port does more than it is given credit for.

• Mike Reeter

It’s not... today I thought my surround was on, so I walked up to my center channel to check. Nothing, but I did hear sound from behind the speaker. It was nearly full range sound, and at about twenty percent of the volume of what was coming from the front side. I have only heard dipoles do that little trick.

They have been placed about three feet from my back wall, and the center point of the sound field comes from about two feet behind the front plane of the speakers and extends forward 4 feet into the room, The rear power port does more than it is given credit for.

I had the L200's set up this same distance from the back wall as well.

I felt like the Vocals were a little recessed (around 2ft. behind the front baffles) but it makes sense that it was the port putting sound that far behind the speakers.

I thought the sound extended into the room 3-4 ft. because of the new style mid-driver. Regardless of what makes it happen, I enjoyed their Presentation.

• F1nut

I heard nothing like that at Polk or here at my house.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    I didn't believe it either, until I put my ear a couple feet away from the port. I am listening to them now, and the center image appears two feet behind the speakers and about a foot above them. The sound extends a couple feet outside the outer edges of the speakers as well. The soundstage is really quite good.

• F1nut
    It's your room.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    It must be. the performance I am getting from them is very much like what I remember the CRS being like.

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Great review, Mike. Another review that keeps the bar set high for future reviewers. Also very nice room.