L100 Review

deronb1
deronb1 Posts: 5,021

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    cool!
    but...
    can we send the author @clipdat's contact info for some writing/reviewing lessons?

:)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    L100...that rings a bell. Didn't another speaker maker have that same model number?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • deronb1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    cool!
    but...
    can we send the author @clipdat's contact info for some writing/reviewing lessons?

:)

Right! Not really a review, but more of a first impression. Loosely written at that.
  • deronb1
    jdjohn wrote: »
    L100...that rings a bell. Didn't another speaker maker have that same model number?

Well, of course!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    New power port??? Obviously, this guy hasn't seen a Polk speaker in a long time.

The L100 lacks a certain fullness, so a sub is a must. The L200 has a fuller sound and therefore you might just get away without a sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I'm pretty excited to hear them go. I would also really like to hear the L600 model.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • deronb1
    F1nut wrote: »
    New power port??? Obviously, this guy hasn't seen a Polk speaker in a long time.

The L100 lacks a certain fullness, so a sub is a must. The L200 has a fuller sound and therefore you might just get away without a sub.

Makes sense with the smaller driver and cab. Would you say the new RR tweet is an improvement over the LsiM?
  • mhardy6647
    jdjohn wrote: »

I started a reply to this, but I never finished it :p

Yes, the once and future other L100

Then

6cakzlp5b2o4.png
    zs48bwuejqb5.png

Now

dmyhmw9vkaxq.png

And of course there was another rip off of homage to the L100, designed also under the aegis of Bart Locanthi, for another large company whose name starts with "P"...

mszulstri31h.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

The L200 will be in my home tomorrow. FedEx claims to have tried delivering them today, but my doorbell never rang and three people were here in the house all day. we even have a couple dogs with a hair-trigger bark that never sensed a thing... funny how that works.

They will be dropped of at the FedEx facility near my home and I will go get them from there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    deronb1 wrote: »

Makes sense with the smaller driver and cab. Would you say the new RR tweet is an improvement over the LsiM?

Was there a problem with the original?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 wrote: »

Was there a problem with the original?

I found it dry sounding and lacked the air of some other tweeters ive had in rotation.
  • F1nut
    Ok well, I thought the LSiM tweeter was smooth, not bright, which I like. I thought the Legend tweeter got a bit bright at higher volumes, which I don't like.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    FWIW.
    Based on what I heard, I could have lived with the L200 sans subwoofer, even with big music.
    I can certainly understand there being folks who would not have felt the same way about them.
    I am curious about the L100... but I doubt I'll ever hear a pair (unless they are deeply discounted at some point).

• deronb1
    Ok well, I thought the LSiM tweeter was smooth, not bright, which I like. I thought the Legend tweeter got a bit bright at higher volumes, which I don't like.

No doubt personal preference plays into it. I liked the 703 overall and at the prices now, they are a real bargain.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    703’s are the best bang for buck at the prices now hands down