L100 Review

deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,989

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 24,463
    cool!
    but...
    can we send the author @clipdat's contact info for some writing/reviewing lessons?

:)
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,209
    L100...that rings a bell. Didn't another speaker maker have that same model number?
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,989
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    cool!
    but...
    can we send the author @clipdat's contact info for some writing/reviewing lessons?

:)

Right! Not really a review, but more of a first impression. Loosely written at that.
    jdjohn wrote: »
    L100...that rings a bell. Didn't another speaker maker have that same model number?

Well, of course!
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,594
    New power port??? Obviously, this guy hasn't seen a Polk speaker in a long time.

The L100 lacks a certain fullness, so a sub is a must. The L200 has a fuller sound and therefore you might just get away without a sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantismantis Posts: 15,537
    I'm pretty excited to hear them go. I would also really like to hear the L600 model.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
    F1nut wrote: »
    New power port??? Obviously, this guy hasn't seen a Polk speaker in a long time.

The L100 lacks a certain fullness, so a sub is a must. The L200 has a fuller sound and therefore you might just get away without a sub.

Makes sense with the smaller driver and cab. Would you say the new RR tweet is an improvement over the LsiM?
    jdjohn wrote: »

I started a reply to this, but I never finished it :p

Yes, the once and future other L100

Then

6cakzlp5b2o4.png
    zs48bwuejqb5.png

Now

dmyhmw9vkaxq.png

And of course there was another rip off of homage to the L100, designed also under the aegis of Bart Locanthi, for another large company whose name starts with "P"...

mszulstri31h.jpg
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,939

The L200 will be in my home tomorrow. FedEx claims to have tried delivering them today, but my doorbell never rang and three people were here in the house all day. we even have a couple dogs with a hair-trigger bark that never sensed a thing... funny how that works.

They will be dropped of at the FedEx facility near my home and I will go get them from there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    deronb1 wrote: »

Makes sense with the smaller driver and cab. Would you say the new RR tweet is an improvement over the LsiM?

Was there a problem with the original?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

deronb1 wrote: »

Was there a problem with the original?

I found it dry sounding and lacked the air of some other tweeters ive had in rotation.
    Ok well, I thought the LSiM tweeter was smooth, not bright, which I like. I thought the Legend tweeter got a bit bright at higher volumes, which I don't like.

President of Club Polk

edited February 6
    FWIW.
    Based on what I heard, I could have lived with the L200 sans subwoofer, even with big music.
    I can certainly understand there being folks who would not have felt the same way about them.
    I am curious about the L100... but I doubt I'll ever hear a pair (unless they are deeply discounted at some point).

Ok well, I thought the LSiM tweeter was smooth, not bright, which I like. I thought the Legend tweeter got a bit bright at higher volumes, which I don't like.

No doubt personal preference plays into it. I liked the 703 overall and at the prices now, they are a real bargain.
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,560
    703’s are the best bang for buck at the prices now hands down