Bi-wiring with unterminated speaker wire?

Hi, I have an old power amp I’d like to try out on my lsim 707’s. It only has bare wire connections for the speaker wire. Can I make my own bi-wire using two lengths of unterminated wire, twisting the two red together and two black together on the amplifier end, and connecting the 4 ended side to the dual binding posts of the speaker?

Answers

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    Yes. You can also terminate the end with pins in case the doubled up wire is too thick to fit in the holes. Terminating the end of the wire and using shrink tubing helps prevent the bare wires from being exposed and tarnishing or turn green over time.

https://douglasconnection.com/products/diy-and-save-do-it-yourself/diy-cable-kits-2/speaker-cable-connectors/pin-speaker-cable-connectors/
  • Thank you, I think if I stick with 14 gauge wire, the twisted ends will fit in the holes
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    There is no need to biwire if you are using jumpers on the speakers, unless you are just trying to increase the wire gauge, or if you just wanted to experiment.

I'm using biwire cables on a system which allowed me to eliminate the stock jumpers. The speakers on that system used a gold plated brass jumper which everyone recommended replacing to help sound quality.

The guys here will recommend using a good quality wire. Many to choose from in all price ranges.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Be CAREFUL with bare ended wire. Examine your connections w/a magnifying glass. Too easy for the tiniest single strand of wire to waste an amp.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2020
    Hi, I have an old power amp I’d like to try out on my lsim 707’s. It only has bare wire connections for the speaker wire. Can I make my own bi-wire using two lengths of unterminated wire, twisting the two red together and two black together on the amplifier end, and connecting the 4 ended side to the dual binding posts of the speaker?

Here's a guide for using WBT Crimping Sleeves with multiple wires:

http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/CrimpSleeveSelector.html

http://www.wbtusa.com/pdf/wbt_crimping.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform