Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Hermitism wrote: »
    This will all come back to zombies. The news media have continually tried to cover up the existence of zombies. Remember the bath salts epidemic? Bath salts didn't create those zombie like behaviors. This virus will come back to some sort of mutation of the zombie virus. Don't give in to the lies, sheeple!

ueij8jnav0jf.jpg

I've actually seen that look on him on a Saturday morning after ..... 72hundred samples of brown water....
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Putting it into perspective, how many have actually died from the coronavirus world wide ?
    ….and how many have actually died from the flu virus just in the states ? Remember the hysteria over the Ebola ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    tonyb wrote: »
    Putting it into perspective, how many have actually died from the coronavirus world wide ?
    ….and how many have actually died from the flu virus just in the states ? Remember the hysteria over the Ebola ?

As of December around 4.6 million people in the US were estimated to have caught the "flu" with around 2,100 dying from complications. That's a normal season. The problem with a novel virus like the Wuhan coronavirus is it is highly contagious like the common cold is, can be spread by someone without symptoms, and the mortality rate is said to be around 2 to 3 percent if someone gets it because of lack of immunity.

If the data are to be believed, it's more than 200 people dying per 10,000 catching it. That's why China has locked down cities that are bigger than New York. Imagine anyone trying to do that in the US? Compared to the usual flu strains, if 4.6 million people in the US contracted the coronavirus that nobody currently has immunity to or a vaccination for that could mean around 100,000 people dead compared to 2,100 from flu. More people than that would have to be put on a ventilator in quarantine, and there aren't enough ventilators or isolation wards to go around. The death rate could be even higher.

The good thing is, people who get the flu are not put in quarantine because it would be too disruptive so it spreads everywhere while there are protocols for stemming the spread of new viruses that have high mortality rates.

No reason to be worried or hysterical in the US yet. Unless it mutates into a more lethal strain... :#

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Don’t confuse Tony with the facts. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Soooo. no one is to have an opinion and you are all "experts" on this virus now?

I think not. The facts are that no one can predict the future with this virus. We can only hope for the best.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Don’t confuse Tony with the facts. :)

LOL....You guys are looking at worst case scenarios. Not like we wouldn't find an antidote of some sorts before 100k people died. Every virus has a possibility of mutating to more deadly strains. Even the common flu does that..every year. Mother natures way of thinning out the herd, viruses/disease/natural disasters.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I bet Russ' blood and urine have enough toxins in them to kill any virus.
  • tonyb
    Willow wrote: »

Possibly....but who's gonna volunteer to swig down the first glass of that ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
  • nooshinjohn
    la2vegas wrote: »

Belly up Tony. That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

...or it bursts through you chest like a baby alien queen, and I don’t think Tony is ready for that kind of drama.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    la2vegas wrote: »

Belly up Tony. That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I've had enough of things that can kill you lately...thanks. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • La2vegas that apology may have saved you froma cement shoe fitting.
    I'll be the first to say it: you're one classy broad. 😘
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    I know....no harm no foul pal.

Point of all this is, a virus can change, mutate, become more or less deadly. Looking at the reported source of this coronavirus is it no wonder ? You think maybe, given the same conditions, more viruses can come about ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Y'all can bite my arse....
  • nooshinjohn
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Y'all can bite my arse....

Leave your herd of confused livestock out of this. :p

• BlueFox
    I’m 70 years old, and this is the first time I have seen this type of massive response to a disease. Also, it has only been one month since this started. Maybe they are just being overly cautious, but this is scary.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I’m 70 years old, and this is the first time I have seen this type of massive response to a disease. Also, it has only been one month since this started. Maybe they are just being overly cautious, but this is scary.

We went through the same panic/paranoia when China had bird flu in the late 90's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

We went through the same panic/paranoia when China had bird flu in the late 90's

No. This is different. This outbreak is only one month old, and we are seeing China isolate cities, airlines stopping flights to China, and isolation facilities being built in the US to quarantine people returning from China. If this is what happens after one month then I wonder what the future holds.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Confucius say - hear cook cough at Chinese Restaurant, leave.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    Just maybe Bud, since you retired...your paying more attention to the things you never gave 2 fooks about while you were a working man.....maybe ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    The world is more connected than ever before. Communications travels at light speed and the media are great salesman
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Corona virus is not new, but this year’s strain is more deadly than usual. SARS and MERS were earlier versions in the recent past.

According to news reports, China has been cooperating far more than previously to help develop a vaccine. The W.H.O. is coordinating research around the world. Gilead Sciences (California, U.S.) have just announced that they are talking to China to investigate existing treatments they have developed previously for Ebola as potential treatments for this year’s strain of corona virus.

Nevertheless, the fatality rate compared to the infected rate is far lower than it was with the earlier SARS outbreak from late 2002 to early 2003 (2-3% vs. almost 10%), but the number of cases has also grown far more rapidly than it did in the case of SARS.

From WebMD
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I’m going to be the Rick Grimes of 2020...Dibs!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Confucius say - hear cook cough at Chinese Restaurant, leave.

Tom

If cat missing from front steps of Chinese restaurant, order rice.
  • treitz3
    This is from researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology and the University of Delhi:

"We found 4 insertions in the spike glycoprotein (S) which are unique to the 2019-nCoV and are not present in other coronaviruses. Importantly, amino acid residues in all the 4 inserts have identity or similarity to those in the HIV-1 gp120 or HIV-1 Gag. ... The finding of 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV, all of which have identity/similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature"

This was published online at biorxiv.org.

Aside from these four inserts, the sequence of the nCoV virus was strikingly similar to the SARS virus. If this research is accurate, nCoV may be a genetic hybrid between SARS and HIV, and it's unlikely to have occurred naturally. In other words, it may be an engineered virus. Adding fuel to this speculation is the fact that many of those who have recovered from the initial symptoms may still test positive for the virus, indicating that the virus may remain active even after the symptoms are gone.

Imagine a virus as destructive as HIV that can spread from one person to another as easily as the cold or flu. Sounds like it would make a very effective biological weapon.

Another interesting fact... There is a virus research laboratory in Wuhan - the Wuhan Virology Institute. It is the only biosafety level 4 certified lab in China. When the lab was being certified in 2017 there were a number of scientists in the west that expressed concern that the lab might not adhere to established protocols, as a lab in Beijing had allowed the SARS virus to escape multiple times.

A final fact... China has begun using HIV drugs to treat the coronavirus.

The above are simply data points, but if there actual lines connecting them then it would certainly explain the extreme measures China has gone to in order to try to contain this virus.

Tom
  • BlueFox
    Whether this is it or not, at some point a man made virus is going to escape and create havoc in the world. Maybe it is time to watch 12 Monkeys again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Monkeys

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ^^..Bioterrorism will be a thing, just a matter of time.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
This discussion has been closed.