RIP Kobe Bryant

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2020
    Early report on msn stated chopper problems and sputtering engine and possibly smoke coming from chopper before impact.
    By a supposed eyewitness
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ....sheriff also called out reckless journalism and TMZ for irresponsible reporting and admonished them for letting families of the deceased learn of their passing from media.

THAT is sad. I hope that they are held accountable if this is true. Respect. One of the many things the news media needs to VASTLY improve upon.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited January 2020
    When I hear stuff about the modern players being better than the players of the past, and they take SO MANY games off, it just frustrates me to no end. He was truly a throwback to when the game was played hard at BOTH ends of the floor EVERY night! R.I.P. Mamba
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    la2vegas wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ....sheriff also called out reckless journalism and TMZ for irresponsible reporting and admonished them for letting families of the deceased learn of their passing from media.

THAT is sad. I hope that they are held accountable if this is true. Respect. One of the many things the news media needs to VASTLY improve upon.

Tom

Sherriff Villanueva is a tool, what does he know about respect...

I am certain he knows more than you. This is a memorial thread and not a place for your BS.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have to admit that while I had heard his name as being a basketball player, I really didn’t know anything about him. However, I am just amazed at how much TV time is being devoted to him. It really is quite amazing. RIP.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    What a sad tragedy. God bless and God speed.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    From everything I've read that helicopter had no business being in the air. Even the LAPD grounded theirs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »
    From everything I've read that helicopter had no business being in the air. Even the LAPD grounded theirs.

Agreed, sure is a sad situation.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    the pilot had permission to fly from the controllers according to new reports.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I bet the pilot flew it into the ground.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    afterburnt wrote: »

Not cool.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745

Here come the jerks. No class.
    RIP Mr Bryant, as well as all the other poor souls.
  • afterburnt
    So what's wrong with my comment?
  • krazypolk
    So what's wrong with my comment?

It's stupid and out of place.
  • afterburnt
    @Conradicles @krazypolk really horrible that I would speculate as to the cause of the crash. How bout I tell you what I think of you two?
  • krazypolk
    I'm out, some people are trash.
  • afterburnt
    Goodbye. I figured as much.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2020
    Some people show their true colors in the most inappropriate places....how would you even consider saying something like that? 9 people lost thief lives and you post some BS like that? I could probably guess why you said it, but will keep that to myself. So I will bite my tongue, show some restraint and let you make an a$$ out of yourself yet again.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • F1nut
    I believe Bruce was speculating that the crash was caused by pilot error as in he flew it into the ground. The tracking shows he climbed alarmingly fast from 1250 to 2000 feet seconds before it crashed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Some people show their true colors in the most inappropriate places....how would you even consider saying something like that? 9 people lost thief lives and you post some BS like that? I could probably guess why you said it, but will keep that to myself. So I will bite my tongue, show some restraint and let you make an a$$ out of yourself yet again.

I don't have to justify what I posted. Others have posted their speculations and did you or the other sanctimonious fools jump on them? I won't leave you to guess why I said it, I considered the circumstances and evidence of the crash and surmised that the pilot flew the chopper into the ground, sue me if you don't like my opinion. So what was your guess as to why I said it? On second thought shawn, I don't give a crap what you think so you can piss of captain virtue.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'd been thinking of putting some of my thoughts in this thread, and I really hate when things take a turn on here like this did. It almost pissed me off to the point that I was going to do what I usually do, and not say anything at all, but I still have a few thoughts I want share.

This story hits me hard. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I follow sports more than most people. Fans put players and teams in buckets... like this player, hate that one, like this team, despise another. Kobe was one I liked. But, when I heard this news, it just wasn't about the great Kobe to me, and it wouldn't have mattered which bucket I'd placed him in. This was about a dad and his daughter. Parents and kids... doing something they loved, having fun, spending time together. And suddenly, this tragedy occurred. And it will affect so many others. The spouses and siblings and friends left behind. It just has to be devastating. I hope they all can pick up whatever pieces they can manage and carry on, but I'm sure they will always carry the sadness of their loss with them forever.
  • nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »
    I believe Bruce was speculating that the crash was caused by pilot error as in he flew it into the ground. The tracking shows he climbed alarmingly fast from 1250 to 2000 feet seconds before it crashed.

It is actually the other way around Jesse. It came down from 2 thousand to it’s impact site at a rate of 4000 feet/min with a forward airspeed of over 180kt... agreed it should not have been flying, but something went wrong with that bird. The pilot may have been looking for a safe spot to put it down but was unable to see through the fog until it was too late. There is a big church parking lot a stones throw from the crash site.

Bottom line here is the investigation has barely begun. Out of respect, not only for Kobe and his family, but also for all those affected by this horrible crash, let’s not fish to conclusions.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited January 2020
    At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n72ex?fbclid=iwar3hjwrv4hod4dp4kjh7ntel-m5pltprskx5klmjhe5afeypyd6bkmfgniq

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Witnesses on the ground are saying it was descending rapidly and sounded as if the turbine was failing.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2020
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • shawn474
    edited January 2020
    shawn474 wrote: »

I don't have to justify what I posted. Others have posted their speculations and did you or the other sanctimonious fools jump on them? I won't leave you to guess why I said it, I considered the circumstances and evidence of the crash and surmised that the pilot flew the chopper into the ground, sue me if you don't like my opinion. So what was your guess as to why I said it? On second thought shawn, I don't give a crap what you think so you can piss of captain virtue.

Nobody asked you to justify what you said; I (and a couple others) just called you out for what you said. Only you know WHY you said it - but it lacked compassion, empathy and class in my opinion. This is a tragic situation as 9 people lost their lives. I guess I don’t have to speculate why it happened at all. Let the investigation play out and wait for the facts instead of try to guess if this was intentional, unintentional, operator error, equipment malfunction, etc. It is just really sad that a dad and his 13 year old daughter passed away with seven other people who have loved ones and their lives will never be the same again. Take out the fact that Bryant was a celebrity. @mdaudioguy is spot on.

Trust me when I tell you that I am far from “captain virtue” as you suggested. But when you leave a trite and seemingly suggestive response to an emotional situation, you will elicit responses from people who don’t share your viewpoint. And it seems pretty self serving then when you use the opportunity to take shots at other members who respond to your opinion. I stand by what I said as you stand by what you said. We can agree to disagree.
    Shawn
  • afterburnt
    edited January 2020
    In case yous and the indignation of the others was born of ignorance, here's the technical term for "flying into the ground".

A controlled flight into terrain (CFIT, usually pronounced cee-fit) is an accident in which an airworthy aircraft, under pilot control, is unintentionally flown into the ground, a mountain, a body of water or an obstacle.[1] In a typical CFIT scenario, the crew is unaware of the impending disaster until it is too late.
  • afterburnt
    Regarding "taking shots" It was you guys that began casting aspersions not me.
  • nooshinjohn
    At this point all we know is 9 people tragically lost their lives on an aircraft that probably should not have even been cleared to fly due to the weather. Something may have gone wrong with the bird while in flight, or perhaps not. We don’t know anything yet, but apparently the pilot was cleared for his flight path. Why he was cleared will be investigated.

All we know for certain at this point is there will be an episode about this crash on a tv show called Air Disasters sometime after the investigation is concluded.

Please let’s not turn this thread into a poor man’s version of CSI, and let’s see what the investigation reveals. Kobe, his daughter, and the seven other lives lost deserve no less.

• shawn474
    edited January 2020
    In case yous and the indignation of the others was born of ignorance, here's the technical term for "flying into the ground".

A controlled flight into terrain (CFIT, usually pronounced cee-fit) is an accident in which an airworthy aircraft, under pilot control, is unintentionally flown into the ground, a mountain, a body of water or an obstacle.[1] In a typical CFIT scenario, the crew is unaware of the impending disaster until it is too late.

Thanks for the explanation as that DOES help. I was ignorant to that specific definition (and for the record my wife works for the FAA). It may have been helpful for you to include that in your original post. I could argue that “sanctimonious” is posting a very short, suggestive, and controversial post and then trying to justify it by hiding behind the veil of misinterpretation. I could also argue that I should have looked up that definition on my own before I jumped to a conclusion.....so if that definition was your intent with your initial post then I apologize.

Shawn
This discussion has been closed.