RIP Kobe Bryant

Options
124»

Comments

• Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    After everything I've read,I have to believe the fog was so thick,that the pilot was so disoriented he had no idea what direction he was going. They say that the brain gets so confused even when the gauges are telling the pilot one thing,the brain is telling you something different.

Still,no matter how you look at it,9 lives are gone. Quite a tragedy.
    I use to fly around the Gulf of Mexico a lot. With that said Chopper Pilots wound Not fly ever if wind speed was 40 Knotts or above or like you said Fog.
    The pilot should have Never taken off .
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I know I've had that disoriented feeling when driving in a white out. I mean the kind of white out where if someone was on the hood of your vehicle you wouldn't see them. I can't imagine trying to fly in anything close to those conditions.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    There is a good reason why the first Astronauts were so bada$&. In space there is no up-down side to side so to speak and that in itself is very disorientating and why so many couldn't make the cut.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    @helipilotdoug
    Hey bro could you shed some light or commentary on the issue the pilot might have faced during this tragic flight. Don’t want to crucify the pilot because each and every day anyone can make a wrong decision.

Would like professional insight on the mechanics or possible disorientation the pilot might have suffered

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Jeez fellas, please, let it rest and shall we continue to pay respect and homage to Kobe and the dear little ones, and others that perished?

My heart goes out to all of them, and their families, during this terrible time.

May they all rest in peace, and their families, find peace and solace.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Some people are attempting to play "moral high ground" instead of making their own personal statements/tributes, and then minding their own goddam business. Shawn, YOU'RE WRONG, admit it, and move the hell on. NOBODY asked for your opinion on their personal posts.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Steve, I left it alone 6 hours ago. Done posting about it. I contributed to the downward spiral of this thread and will move on......unless you want to keep bumping it up.

I agree with everyone wanting to focus on the real issue - RIP to the victims and prayers sent to their families.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Thank YOU, sincerely.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2020
    Options
    News update, https://flip.it/gyT5P7
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Wow. 184mph when they hit. While I am sure they were in sheer terror for those final 12 seconds, at that kind of speed, they probably didn't feel a thing and were all killed instantly.

Some kind of catastrophic failure had to have happened to that helicopter IMO for them to be able to climb to get above the clouds and then suddenly turn left and head straight for the ground at that kind of speed. Either that, or (and I am speculating here) they hit a flock of birds, disabling the engine?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    Options
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Prayers for all of the affected families.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Damn, he could fly.

You know what Jesse? I have always been on the fence as to whether or you’re the **** some suggest or perhaps you’re just misunderstood. You’ve unequivocally proven a lot of people on here right. And lest this is a “holier than thou” post - I have a pretty dark sense of humor. But that post has no humor in it at all. You will undoubtedly get the couple LOL’s that you so desperately crave but I am going to ask you, is it worth it? Tasteless at best.

I have nothing vested in this, not trying to stir the pot but I was quite shocked at your reply shawn.

NBA greats and the whole "flying" term has been around for decades. I thought the exact same thing when I saw him clear that pool.

This came.to mind.

https://youtu.be/Nq0hrCsMAYE

Pretty safe bet there was no stab intended at the fact Kobe went down in a "flying apparatus"

Just my $.02
  • shawn474
    edited January 2020
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »

I have nothing vested in this, not trying to stir the pot but I was quite shocked at your reply shawn.

NBA greats and the whole "flying" term has been around for decades. I thought the exact same thing when I saw him clear that pool.

This came.to mind.

https://youtu.be/Nq0hrCsMAYE

Pretty safe bet there was no stab intended at the fact Kobe went down in a "flying apparatus"

Just my $.02

Thanks for your .02. But it does seem that stirring the pot is the intent when you choose to bump this up and quote me when I have tried to let this rest.

Lest anyone misunderstand - I have worked in athletics for 25+ years; more specifically, I have worked in major college basketball for the majority of that time. I am WELL AWARE of the term “flying”.

My main point was, and still is, that given the context of the situation perhaps a more measured choice of words was, and still is, appropriate.

Again, back to the purpose of this thread - thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

Shawn
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Wasn't the intent as I have been away from the forum for awhile so being late to the thread could prove otherwise.

So if you have been exposed to the fact "flying" in terms of basketball relates to the ability of someone to extend their airtime quite a bit....I was just puzzled at the fact if someone related to that as happened in the video, that you had become judge, jury, executioner to say that's not the case and that the sole purpose was to mock the fact how someone lost their life.

I agree, staying on topic with regards to the people affected by this terrible tragedy is key. However while a brief display of celebrating his life with that video and commenting on his skills, you had turned it into what seemed a personal agenda....so, how is that for staying on...or off topic?

Sorry but IMHO, you had derailed a somewhat serious thread in terms of giving condolences and your comment could have been via PM....if at all.

• shawn474
    edited January 2020
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Wasn't the intent as I have been away from the forum for awhile so being late to the thread could prove otherwise.

So if you have been exposed to the fact "flying" in terms of basketball relates to the ability of someone to extend their airtime quite a bit....I was just puzzled at the fact if someone related to that as happened in the video, that you had become judge, jury, executioner to say that's not the case and that the sole purpose was to mock the fact how someone lost their life.

I agree, staying on topic with regards to the people affected by this terrible tragedy is key. However while a brief display of celebrating his life with that video and commenting on his skills, you had turned it into what seemed a personal agenda....so, how is that for staying on...or off topic?

Sorry but IMHO, you had derailed a somewhat serious thread in terms of giving condolences and your comment could have been via PM....if at all.

Again, thanks for your .02 (or is that .04 now?)......and for re-derailing the thread. No need to apologize - I have my opinion and you have yours.

Moving along.....

Post edited by shawn474 on
    Shawn
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    ...I was just puzzled at the fact if someone related to that as happened in the video, that you had become judge, jury, executioner to say that's not the case and that the sole purpose was to mock the fact how someone lost their life.

That's the problem with SJW, they're always wrong.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shawn474
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Jesse, take your own advice and let this die man. As self proclaimed president of club Polk, and being such an incredible ambassador of all things holy, I would ask that you and others disengage and keep focused on the task at hand honoring the victims. I have tried to ignore the back and forth for the past day or so, but the trolling behavior continues to be somewhat puzzling considering you’ve asked EVERYONE to cease and desist. Apparently, in your absolutes, everyone doesn’t actually include everyone. My mother always told me to never hold anyone else to a higher standard than you hold yourself. Maybe words for all of us (including myself) to digest.....

There are MANY social justice warriors that have done incredible things with their platforms. Saying that they are “always wrong” is a bit of a reach and something that I am sure reasonable people can agree just isn’t accurate. Sadly, I am not, nor ever claimed to be, a social justice warrior, but am not afraid to speak my mind - and willing to get criticized for it.

If we all want to learn something, the statement that Vanessa Bryant put out yesterday was extremely sad, yet powerful and inspiring. I love the fact that shaq is raising money and donating some of his own to support all of the families and contribute to Kobe’s foundation.
    Shawn
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »

Ok spin doctor your turn.

Space Jam is a 1996 American live-action/animated sports comedy film directed by Joe Pytka. Starring basketball player Michael Jordan
  • shawn474
    Options
    Space Jam is a 1996 American live-action/animated sports comedy film directed by Joe Pytka. Starring basketball player Michael Jordan

Which, for the record, has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread
    Shawn
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »

Which, for the record, has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread
    Yeah maybe they chose that song by coincidence.
  • shawn474
    Options
    Yeah maybe they chose that song by coincidence.

PM sent to take this off line and not muck up a this thread any longer. I have an open invitation to discuss this off line with anyone who chooses to instead of continuing to contribute to the spiral of this thread and acknowledge trolling antics.
    Shawn
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    That is good gesture Shawn but trolls by nature live here not in pms. None of their pals can snicker at their dumb jokes or give them high fives.
This discussion has been closed.