Any aquarium owners?

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    A friend at work in just getting into salt water tanks, talks about it a lot and is over his head but loving it too I think...I think ever one who has seen a very nice set up can appreciate what you are doing here :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    jdjohn wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Updated pic

pw2vzkj0bktq.jpeg
    I see more plants coming in. Do you ever get green spot algae? I have to scrape my glass every few weeks. Green spot is the tough stuff that doesn't wipe off.

I don’t. I do get the green slime from time to time because of how heavy the lighting is. Easily cleaned off The glass though. Usually means water change time.
  • joecoulson
    Here is one more update. Nearing the threshold of backing off on CO2 and growing into maintain mode. Growth with the turbo injection method has been explosive.

z1mlpzsiskjc.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    Just waiting on the red tiger lotus to fill in the bottom left corner. Planted the bulb a week ago.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Did you have to punt on the 'carpet'?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    YES Got overrun by hair algae in my cycling
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    I want one of those Fluval. I'd like to do one in saltwater. Just some live rock and a Green Mandarin Goby. I'd probably put a small protien skimmer on it. The bio load would be very light.

Green Mandarin Goby.

t8y499d8cvca.jpg
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Here's my African cichlid tank.fnrrcgy1zz3q.jpg
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    edited February 2020
    I miss having a tank like that. Nice Marv!
    What size?
    Those aqueon’s are great filters.
  • marvda1
    it's a 56 gal tall. just sold my 100 gal and starting to get the itch for a larger tank.
    PetSmart has a 75 gal combo for $300.
    those are fluval(aquaclear) filters. got a brand new cascade canister filter that's been in the box for years.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    Aqua clear. Sorry. Got it mixed up. They move huge amounts of water.

Petco (assuming you have those) has a 90 gal (same footprint as the 75- just taller) tank only for $199 last time I was in there. Was thinking about replacing mine with that. Just would hate to loose the 3D background.
  • marvda1
    edited February 2020
    is that without stand, top, and light? the 75 comes with those.
    with cichlids you need more length than height as they are so territorial.

have to wait for Petco to have their $1 per gal tank sale.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    If either of you have a spare closet near the AQ that you want and are willing to;

1 - Lose half, if not most of the closet and...
    2 - Have a crawl space?

You can go as big as you want, built in with close to ZERO maintenance.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Petco in my area never have anything larger than 55gal. I have had many friends in larger metro area's their Petco my have up to 75 for the $1 per gallon sale, great deal if you can swing it. I sure miss my fish room...
  • marvda1
    I got pissed at Petco, they had a cascade 1000 canister filter for $140. that same day I got an email from amazon for a cascade 1200 at $72.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    Don’t get me wrong, any other purchases for pets come from Chewy or PetSmart. But I’ll take full advantage of the sales on the glass.

Ivan, get one bro. You know it’s soothing.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Beautiful, Joe. Clearly you are doing things right.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    With all this doom and gloom , I needed to post something else.
    Thank You Jody. Hope you are well.
  • marvda1
    no plants with the cichlids, they would destroy them :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    marvda1 wrote: »
    no plants with the cichlids, they would destroy them :D

That's a blanket statement that is untrue.
    There's many cichlids you can have in a planted tank. Your African mbuna are plant eaters or algae scrappers so yes they are not plant friendly.
  • joecoulson
    You could have Duckweed with them, want me to send you some?
  • marvda1
    yes the mbuna are plant eaters but all cichlids are diggers and they will rearrange your tank. the best plants for them are of the genus plastic :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    marvda1 wrote: »
    yes the mbuna are plant eaters but all cichlids are diggers and they will rearrange your tank. the best plants for them are of the genus plastic :D

Once again blanket statement. Many cichlids you can have plants with that are not plastic.

Cichlids are a huge class of fish Marvin. Many will not dig at all, many lay on flat stones or sides of the aquarium. I had many planted tanks with cichlids no problem.

Yes there are large guapotes that dig, but with over 3000 cichlid species they are not all diggers.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Every damned one I had sure were.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    edited March 2020
    I am talking about African cichlids from lake Malawi. also the ones that are readily available to the general public ie. PetSmart and Petco, and local mom and pop stores.

I better un-blanket it, mbuna, peacocks, haps from lake Malawi. they dig move sand/gravel around for mating purposes and looking for things to eat, this is first hand as I sit here and watch them. you can take that to the blanket bank. ps. they also move sand/gravel when they slide along the bottom to scratch themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-KVu65YcQ8
    Puritan PSM156