Any aquarium owners?

2»

Comments

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 647
    This is a cool National Geographic film documentary about Lake Tanganyika: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqy4p7 It's a little old and not exactly HD, but still a neat film.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,117
    Seen that. Great info.
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,200
    edited January 9
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    j8bl0e2s4tpm.jpg
    A 40 gallon but it dont hold fish. Littlefoot the spoiled bearded dragon resides in this one we need to move up to a 70 gallon but he spends most of his time hanging with us or the dogs.

I have had a few aquariums with fish but found it to much work. however I have one in the garage that holds crappie minnows for ice fishing. Nice looking tank you got there Joe.

Littlefoot is my buddy!
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,251
    lightman1 wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    A 40 gallon but it dont hold fish. Littlefoot the spoiled bearded dragon resides in this one we need to move up to a 70 gallon but he spends most of his time hanging with us or the dogs.

I have had a few aquariums with fish but found it to much work. however I have one in the garage that holds crappie minnows for ice fishing. Nice looking tank you got there Joe.

Littlefoot is my buddy!

Awwww something likes you

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,557
    Finished my daughter's loft bed this week and got Winnie (her beardie) moved into her new space. Here's a couple pics

bj9vvg53bwid.jpeg
    ugpxqbdfzbzv.jpeg
    gi6aqf1gifua.jpeg
    dlcwu4xiun4t.jpeg
    tdhz3kfhdzye.jpeg
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,374
    Well it's been 3 days since my son's snail moved. I think it's dead. I cleaned the tank yesterday and it had a fowl smell. I think that's it for aquatic life for a bit.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Marantz DV 4200 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,158
    Willow wrote: »
    Well it's been 3 days since my son's snail moved. I think it's dead. I cleaned the tank yesterday and it had a fowl smell. I think that's it for aquatic life for a bit.

We've had bad luck keeping snails. Seems every time we change out the water, they die. Which is a shame because they are far more interesting to watch than the fish.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,069
    scubalab wrote: »
    Finished my daughter's loft bed this week and got Winnie (her beardie) moved into her new space. Here's a couple pics

Nice!

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,622
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

We've had bad luck keeping snails. Seems every time we change out the water, they die. Which is a shame because they are far more interesting to watch than the fish.

Do you use any kind of chlorine/Chloramine remover water conditioner when you changed the water? Was it the same temp as the previous water?

The reason i ask is that most of us "aquarist" have had more than one occasion where we have been inundated with unwanted snails we couldn't kill with 3 hammers.
    Al, that looks great man. Good job!

I always use Prime with any water. Even topping off.
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,622
    edited January 24
    joecoulson wrote: »

I always use Prime with any water. Even topping off.

Here is a nugget in case you were unaware.
    Seachem Safe is the same but dry powder. It is far more concentrated and about 1/16 of a teaspoon is good for a 75 gallon tank. I always use 1/8 teaspoon because it is easier to measure. I will warn you when I would buy it would be anywhere from the 1/2 kilo to the 4 kilo tub. The best thing to do is put it in mason jars and put the lid on tight VERY TIGHT. It has 10x the odor the Prime does but is vastly cheaper and last a very long time. I was buying Prime by the 4 liter jug when my supplier turned me on to it since i was using so much for my discus and fish room.
    Per my Seachem rep alway dose for the entire aquarium volume UNLESS you add it to the water before you put the water into the aquarium. Many people only add the dose for say their 50 gallons of water changed in a 100 gallon tank. Due to the added organics in the aquarium it will be unable to effectively work as it should at the half dose if added to the aquarium after you changed your 50gal.
    Make sense?

One last thing many people try to take distilled water and add safe and create Prime and keep it in liquid form.
    Unfortunately you cannot do that because the stabilizers that seachem uses to make prime are not in the dry form of safe so you have to keep it in the dry form but it is very good and last a long time and it's very economical.
    Thank You sir. Makes a lot of sense.

2»