Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I haev not, but the reviews of their bottled in bond have me thinking to look for it.
    The standard OF is usually described as a classic whiskey. Pick up some and give us a review?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I couldn’t help myself today and stopped in a liquor store across town near my dads house.

Picked these two up.

ezm7jydggo8f.jpeg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    Second pick up.

7l7826jxorp4.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I went to go try something new today (Was going to pick up one of the Knob's creek) but ended up buying another bottle of Basil Haydens. Rooftop, ya' done spoiled me man. Will treat my friends to this over New Year's celebration.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's gonna take me a while to go through all of the one's on this thread. Some of it ain't necessarily cheap either!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I went to go try something new today (Was going to pick up one of the Knob's creek) but ended up buying another bottle of Basil Haydens. Rooftop, ya' done spoiled me man. Will treat my friends to this over New Year's celebration.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's gonna take me a while to go through all of the one's on this thread. Some of it ain't necessarily cheap either!

Tom

Tom the Knob Creeks are rather good. Took me some time to catch on. I picked up a Knob Creek 12 before Christmas and it is really good.

Enjoy the Basils. For some reason I just can’t get into those. But bourbon is like audio. Opinions opinions opinions..... ;)
  • treitz3
    edited December 2019
    Todd, gotta remember.....as the OP, I'm still a rookie with this. My "taste" for Bourbon is still developing. I'm quite sure that one day I may look back and say to myself, "I thought that was great?".

I'll make it a point to pick your suggestion up next time I go.

I was gonna get one today but I forgot which one(s) were recommended. I wrote it down this time. Happy Holidays to ya' bro' and thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Opened the Stag Antique with Dad on Christmas.

It’s delicious.

Like really, really delicious...

Few days before that I enjoyed last years Stag Antique with a buddy.

It was a good week!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    I tried the old forester 1910 old fine whiskey yesterday and it didn’t appeal to me.....the search continues.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • tratliff
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Opened the Stag Antique with Dad on Christmas.

It’s delicious.

Like really, really delicious...

Few days before that I enjoyed last years Stag Antique with a buddy.

It was a good week!

The Stagg is awesome. Congrats on getting both of those. I only have about 1/3 of a bottle I picked up last year.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    Picked up Buffalo trace and Eagle Rare
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    engtaz wrote: »
    Picked up Buffalo trace and Eagle Rare

Those are two I really want to try but just can't get around here. State controlled liquor stores suck!

I've found that sometimes bourbon's initial impression will change. Recently picked up a bottle of Cooper's Craft. My initial tasting was a let down...it was OK but I guess I expected more from it based on reviews. So it got stored in the back of the cabinet and last night I came across it and decided to give it another go. I'll be jiggerd! Went down nicely and made me wonder why I didn't like it the first time. Maybe no expectations?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I recently ran across a ralfydotcom whisky review on YouTube where he is recommending a 50/50 blending of two of my favorite whiskys - Rittenhouse Rye and Eagle Rare, saying that it rivals older versions of Pappy Van Winkle. Anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSekdqQZFE

Pappy Van Winkle is good stuff, it's just too expensive and almost impossible to find.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I know I will be trying it!

Rittenhouse is always on hand in my home. Good on its own and I use it for Manhattans and Old Fashions.

Eagle Rare comes and goes in my home, but I’ll pick up a bottle of that to try this!
  • tratliff
    I have not tried it but I hear a lot about people discussing mixing Weller 107 and 12. They call it “Poor Mans Pappy”.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I LIKE Ralfy! Thanks Jazzhead.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    So I gave the Whiskey'n'Rye a try. Don't have Rittenhouse (don't judge me!), so tried Whitlepig10 and Eagle Rare. Screw Pappy - this is SO GOOD! I'll be trying this and other combos a lot in the future. Thanks again Jazz!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I’m going to give that mix a try. Already like Rittenhouse and Eagle Rare on their own.
  • Jazzhead
    A friend who was lucky enough to get a bottle of 23 year old Pappy opened it up for a few of us after grilling us a steak with all the trimmings (what a guy!). It was a ridiculously smooth almost syrupy explosion of flavors you'd expect from a great bourbon, but what struck me was the taste of very, very old wood. I recall saying that it tasted like what my grandfather's heart pine farmhouse in North Carolina smelled like. It's almost too old tasting, and I've had the versions that are not as old and they have a bit more "freshness" and zing.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • engtaz
    maxward wrote: »
    I’m going to give that mix a try. Already like Rittenhouse and Eagle Rare on their own.

Let us know how it turns out. Thats's 50/50 correct?
    engtaz

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2020
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    I recently ran across a ralfydotcom whisky review on YouTube where he is recommending a 50/50 blending of two of my favorite whiskys - Rittenhouse Rye and Eagle Rare, saying that it rivals older versions of Pappy Van Winkle. Anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSekdqQZFE

Pappy Van Winkle is good stuff, it's just too expensive and almost impossible to find.

That sounds like the ethanolic analog of crowbaring (or is that crowbarring? -- verbing weirds language) the preamp out of, say a McIntosh component and clipleading it onto an Audio Research power amp.

... or a half a glass of Chateau Petrus mixed with a half a glass of Romanée-Conti
    (to stay slightly more on track with the metaphor)

B)
  • Jazzhead
    I'm also a big fan of the Old Forester line up. The 1897 Bottled in Bond version is very tasty. Also, If you can ever find a bottle of their Birthday Bourbon - buy it, as it is about as difficult to find as Pappy and many folks think it is just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzcVOO3a5g

NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • treitz3
    rbmfm310fpk9.png

Tom
  • engtaz
    ROFLOL
    engtaz

• tratliff
    edited January 2020
    My fault! 😆

I’m going to use you as my excuse for today’s purchase. Thanks. I need an excuse. Wife told me I’m on a budget. Budgets and me have never really got along.

Really nice collection you have.

Today’s pick ups.
    jy5oyxlfzngw.jpeg

One on the left is a Armagnac. If you haven’t tried one you should. Different than bourbon but very tasty. Hints of orange, vanilla and cookies. Not sweet but smooth and delightful.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    there you go again ...pushing into another whiskey buying option... Thanks BTW B)

Loving Barrel Bourbon Dovetail! thanks for the advise!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tratliff
    voltz wrote: »
    there you go again ...pushing into another whiskey buying option... Thanks BTW B)

Loving Barrel Bourbon Dovetail! thanks for the advise!!

Great you liked the dovetail. I thought it was awesome. The knob creek 12 above was another of greatness. Check it out.
  • tratliff
    The knob creek 12 is something that is lingering in stores currently. They are focused on rare, hard to get. But don’t pass it by. Made my second purchase of a bottle last weekend.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    How about that Midsummer Nights Dram, Todd? Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tratliff
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    How about that Midsummer Nights Dram, Todd? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I have a bottle. Picked it up right before Xmas. Seems really good. Haven’t visited it in a couple of weeks. Let me add it to the list for the weekend and I will get back. :-).