I just pulled the trigger on a new tüübed pre....this one should be pretty sweet!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2020
    Well put.

Besides Nature...
    cats, also, abhor a vacuum.

IME, that is.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    So you're saying the tube was breached by atmosphere and therefore is compromised?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yup. Probably caused during shipping going to and from the cold or vice versa. There was no readily apparent signs of rough handling on the boxes other than a 1 inch "nick" on the PS box that went right into the 3" thick foam padding. The bad tube was on the Pre, not the PS.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I had a similar thing happen with a Valvo Hamburg 12au7 tube but in my case there were no weird temp swings. I shut my Belles pre off after listening problem free all night. Turned it back on the next day and noticed one of the tubes wasn’t glowing and there was no sound coming from that channel either. Pulled the tube to find a small crack and that white powder color on the inside of the tube like stated in an earlier post. And I was delicate as one could be with those tubes as they are pretty hard to come by. Still don’t know the cause as the tubes were in my possession for a couple days before I even installed them if I remember correctly.

Danny
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Vacuum's not a THING... It's a NOT THING!

Well, of course, as any modern physicist can tell you, that's not really, strictly true -- the vacuum of space (or a tube) is full of all kinds of weird stuff that's, of course, not stuff as we know stuff... umm... oh, wow, man.
    What was I talkin' about, man?

Those quantum physicists both fascinate me and make my head spin a bit! :smile:

https://phys.org/news/2014-08-what-is-nothing.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    :)7sv5mbvyt63v.png

Mine did. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    Well, it's been 16 days since I pulled the trigger. I am Jonesin' to hear this thing at this point.....sumphin' awful!

Fed-Ex tracker shows tomorrow for the tubes Verb sent me (Thanks again, so very much!) Even though they may be less than stellar tubes, I'll finally get to hear the daggum thing! I am SOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO looking forward to getting some tubes back into the mix.

I haven't even hooked the Cary or the Ampino back up just so I can listen to some tunes. Just waiting patiently to hear the real thing again! My rig back in it's former glory. (If, and I do mean "if" this things sounds better than the synergy I had with the Dodd MLP.

*crosses fingers*

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Had a new RCA VT231 bought from Brent Jesse go out

Was playing music for about 15min and from one of my speakers it sounded light a bottle rocket launch and then no sound from that channel

Thought my pre blew up. Brent immediately sent me a replacement

Threat guy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Had a new RCA VT231 bought from Brent Jesse go out

Was playing music for about 15min and from one of my speakers it sounded light a bottle rocket launch and then no sound from that channel

Thought my pre blew up. Brent immediately sent me a replacement

Threat guy

WHAT YOU HAD TO THREATEN HIM........ LOL
  • treitz3
    LOL, damned auto correct. You knew what he meant!

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    I know but it's Ron....
    He's fun sport :D
  • txcoastal1
    Retraction
    BRENT JESSES is a GREAT GUY
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Shut up Ivan

• pitdogg2
    Yes he is 100%
  • treitz3
    TBT, I am waiting on the verification that this thing works and sounds decent. At that point, my plan was to speak directly with Brent, tell him what I like and dislike with the sound and trust his advice with what direction to go.

He may not be Gawd when it comes to tubes but I have yet to hear ONE BAD thing about him from anybody. On any forum. Anywhere.

The man knows what he is doing and is an extremely trusted seller. Kinda like our own resident tube guru...I'll be speaking with him as well.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    treitz3 wrote: »

The man knows what he is doing and is an extremely trusted seller. Kinda like our own resident tube guru...I'll be speaking with him as well.

Tom

Come on man who dat?

• txcoastal1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Tom

Come on man who dat?

That's me!!

Send me $10 and I'll tell you that your choice is great

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Good luck with it, Tom. It looks sharp! The Don Sachs tube pre I got uses 6SN7, and I put a couple of Shuguang CV-181Z in it that sound good. The CV-181"T" were a no-go, but the Z are nice.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Come on man who dat?

The one, the only, H9

Tom

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Well, it's been 16 days since I pulled the trigger. I am Jonesin' to hear this thing at this point.....sumphin' awful!

Fed-Ex tracker shows tomorrow for the tubes Verb sent me (Thanks again, so very much!) Even though they may be less than stellar tubes, I'll finally get to hear the daggum thing! I am SOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO looking forward to getting some tubes back into the mix.

I haven't even hooked the Cary or the Ampino back up just so I can listen to some tunes. Just waiting patiently to hear the real thing again! My rig back in it's former glory. (If, and I do mean "if" this things sounds better than the synergy I had with the Dodd MLP.

*crosses fingers*

Tom

Man this is some kinda torture test for sure! Looks like you're passing though ;)

• treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Well, TBT....

I am a very patient man when it comes to audio. I don't know if you remember my crossover/speaker rebuild project on the Tyler's I have but what was supposed to take a couple of weeks...

I think it was 3 and a half years later that it was all finished. I am a very firm believer in that good things come to those who wait.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Come on man who dat?

The one, the only, H9

Tom

Brock is more 6sl7 and 9 pin. He'll tell you that. He and I used to chat all the time.

Because of my tube buffer using 6sn7 I've done quite of bit of research.

Sylvania, older Raytheon, Tung-Sol's CBS/Hytron and some GE's are my favorite. I have some primo pairs.

They are very expensive like 500.00 a pair. If you want the best find some Tung-Sol oval plates....
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Well, I will be a complete virgin when it comes to these tubes as well as IIRC, all of the tubes in the Canary. Any and all advice is always welcome.

I will say this. I'm not looking for "the best". I will be looking for what makes my system shine to its best ability based upon my preferences on how sound....well, should sound. Read my sig for what I am looking for. That's pretty self explanatory.

Jody had mentioned the Shuguang's but most folks keep saying that the new tubes don't hold a candle to the old tubes. I read into all of that with a BIG grain of salt. It's not like tube technology has been lost forever or that one can't make a tube factory that rivals one back in the 50's. (That was 70 freakin' years ago guys!)

I looked and looked and looked some more with the links you and others sent me on that other thread and I got dizzy with the reviews, infighting and the blah, blah, blah. The one common denominator was that not many folks described what the damned tubes sounded like when they changed them out. Or if they did, they didn't mention what they were using or if they changed anything else out in the rig.....what volume they were listening at.....and the list goes on and on. Ad nauseum.

All I want is to shape the sonic signature of my current gear to the most realistic sounds (KEYWORD HERE - ALL sounds) across the board and to achieve synergy to where no matter what I put in to play?

EVERYTHING sounds great. Not stellar with only certain things. Just great on everything. I want it to excel with everything, compromising nothing.

Not just the horns or the drums or the bass or the midrange. I don't want it to sound stellar on Classical at the expense of Rock. Nor do I want any kind of compromise from one genre of music to another. I want it all to sound great. I've had it before with the Dodd. It was not perfect with everything but it was great with whatever you threw at it.

That, my friends, is my "best" tube(s).

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    So what your saying is, synergy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Case in point -

i had this one tube that folks recommended for the Dodd that was "the best" or one of...this tube (12AX7) had one of the longest names of any tube I had ever heard in my life. Like seemingly 9 different names to this one tube. I still have them around here somewhere just sitting in a box.

12AX7 ribbed long plate go-getter and seemingly 6 other designations to it. I have no idea what that all meant and really did not care. All I cared about was the end result as to what hit these ears.

I put them in and listened. OMG, the horns were to DIE FOR!!!

I experienced a horn section playing in my room that were there. In the room, playing in front of me. They were spot on to the sound of the horns. The female voice was also the best I have heard to date on any system, bar one.

BUT, it came with the expense of a little bit of the upper midrange, definite loss of the kick drum and lowest of frequencies as a whole. This, I could probably have dealt with, given the sheer excellence of the horns and female voice.

BUT, (again) where the tubes lost me were the texture of the male voice, smack and impact of the Tom Hat and when it came to the natural rolloff of the cymbal? That's where I had to draw the line. It wasn't as bad as a "Tsst, tsst, tsst". Nothing like that but it wasn't natural to me. You could hear the strike but little to no shimmer afterwards and I'll be damned if there was any natural roll off as it faded away to the next strike. What once was a strike with a beautiful, natural sounding roll off that could have lasted up to 4-6 seconds was reduced down to maybe a half a second. Add to that an ever so slightly rolled off top end? What?

They got the boot.

Trey nailed it. Synergy. The best tubes for me would be the ones that have the best synergy for what I expect and am looking for in the reproductive effort.

Sorry for the off topic rant. Peace.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Tom yes they still make tubes with modern stuff BUT the way they made them 70yrs. ago and the materials they used is far different than today.
    That's why the sound signature is different, if it rocks your boat then good. I'll stick with my 1940-1960 tubes.

Some of the raw materials they used back then are more than likely very illegal today.
  • treitz3
    Interesting. Had not heard that aspect before. Very interesting....

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Tom, I am here to help you...send me the Cary, eliminate temptation.

As stated before, I am here to help.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Some of the raw materials they used back then are more than likely very illegal today.

Like cocaine and fairy dust?

I haven't even hooked the Cary or the Ampino back up just so I can listen to some tunes.

Dude! You should be hitting that Cary hard so you have a good handle on it's signature. That way when that song bird fires up you can have a fresh comparison at hand and not old stale memories.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Tom, my preamp takes a pair of 6SN7's. I just purchased a pair of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N8M-MELZ-6N8S-6SN7-6SN7GT-1578-TUBES-Metal-base-1950-Rare-2pcs/183844591357?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 that were highly recommended by a fellow over Audio Circle.

Claims to be very musical and rivals some of the best. For the cost, I'll take a chance.