What does LSiM stand for?

I am new to the forum and I cannot seem to find or know where to search for this question. What does LSiM stand for?

Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hello and welcome to the forum, elArturo. Just so this question does not just sit there unanswered, I don't believe that it actually stands for anything. If it does, I don't recall anyone ever discussing it here or elsewhere.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Agree, just a model number. There was an "LS" line in the early to mid-1990s, then the "LSi" line in 2001 and on. The "i" usually means "improved" for Polk speaker models. I figure the "M" added on for the "LSiM" line was for "Matt" as the line was sort of his swan song and represented the best Polk could do for the price charged at the time. Maybe LS stands for "Legendary Speaker" but that's just a guess! Now it's just a simple "L" for Legend.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I could be wrong but I don't believe Matt had anything to do with the lsim line up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Launch Site Integration Manager
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2020
    If anything, the 'M' stands for Monitor or Modified, not Matt.

I can't imagine Matt ever being that vain or even allowing anyone to be that vain on his behalf. Besides, the company bares his name, isn't that enough?

I don't think it stands for anything like that, though.

But, typically, if the line's name means something (like MM in the car audio stuff stands for Mobile Monitor) it's spelled out in the product literature.

And I do believe VR3 is right, the LSiM line came out at least 10 years after Matt's departure. Matt had nothing to do with them.

Sorry, fat fingered the tab key and posted before I was done typing.

But there was a previous LS line like Emlyn said and there was a previous LSi line.

So given Polk's historic naming convention progressions, LS would likely be the original line moniker, don't know if it means anything

LSi would the the LS line "improved".

LSiM would be the LSi line "modified" because it uses the same drivers and ideas as the LSi line but they changed the structure and driver compliment.

That's just guessing though, based on what we were told about the LSiM line when it was first being readied for production. It's the LSi line with modifications to address short comings in the original LSi line.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I thought i meant fuel injected... no, wait, that was BMW...
    it means internet, right, like iPad...
    umm, wait...

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited January 2020
    Latest
    Speaker
    in
    Maryland
    :)
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • mhardy6647
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Lastest
    Speaker
    in
    Maryland
    :)

That's bittersweet.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Lousy Sounding Intermodulation Mechanism?
  • Emlyn
    Maybe it was supposed to be the “Slim” line of speakers but nobody caught the typo in China before it was already printed on the shipping boxes.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I thought it meant "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco"
  • mhardy6647
    I guess it wouldn't be sporting to mention the Howard DGA (D@mned Good Airplane)
    Or Roy Hall's Music Hall MMF (Make Money Fast) turntables in the context of this thread?

a1cr8h9s7xnq.png

ke4l13bdkdmn.png

Ooops. :#

• Emlyn
    I've still got one of those MMFers.
  • When the LSiM series was first shown my wife said to Al Ballard (then the head of marketing), that they should have been the "LSiN Series" as in "listen". He agreed and said it would have been a better choice.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    When the LSiM series was first shown my wife said to Al Ballard (then the head of marketing), that they should have been the "LSiN Series" as in "listen". He agreed and said it would have been a better choice.

interesting.
    Evocative of Allen Wright's "Just Listen to It" phono preamp.
    Except I don't think JLTI is pronounceable (well... maybe by Aussies...?)

10108217586_091200bf0b_c.jpgJLTiphonopreamp by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Long Story interested Moron!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited January 2020
    elArturo wrote: »
    I am new to the forum and I cannot seem to find or know where to search for this question. What does LSiM stand for?

I don't know what LSiM, or LSi, stands for. The series just before the LSi series was the "LS" series, which stood for "Line Source". The "i" in "LSi" might stand for "improved". I don't know what the "M" in "LSiM" stands for. Someone in Polk's marketing department might know.

@AlmaGarcia , would you forward this request to Polk's marketing department? Thanks.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • I have read most of the reply’s to this question and some are pretty original and funny. I guess this is a topic/question that has gone overlooked for some time. I’m glad I asked. I really would like to know the answer. We will soon be in the know.
    “Line Source improved Monitor” ?? hmm..